main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Marvel's Civil War arc got me back into buying comics. I'm really into the WWH stuff right now. I've just been buying the main WWH and IH issues. I've gotten the X-Men and Iron Man tie-ins because there's only 3 for x-men and 2 for Iron Man but I haven't gotten the Gamma Corps or Frontline for it yet.

Aside from that I'm getting into the new Thor comics coming out. Anyone get #2 yesterday?

Resurrecting Asgard in the middle of Oklahoma, police telling Thor he needs a permit to build on the land so Thor just lifts it up and has it floating in the air, letting the guy take gold from the Asgardian treasury as payment for the land Thor has taken from him.
    :p

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

I've read the last issue of Thor and thought what Thor did reminded me of the song, "Home on The Range..." 'where the deer and the antelope play; where seldom is heard...' It's funny, but the story needs to start moving. I mean, the promo was for Thor to discover a post Civil War world and his reaction to it all, but that hasn't happened yet.

Any read the last Wolverine issue? It was enlightening for me, because I didn't know there was a sword that could kill Wolverine. And that sword killed Sabretooth.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My favorite title by a wide margin right now is The Immortal Iron Fist. It is not a complete retcon. It is more of a modification, but either way the writing and art are incredible. Iron Fist learns some new tricks, and learns alot more history behind the Kun Lun, and the legacy he has inherited. For example, we learn that he is the 66th person to hold the power and title of Iron Fist. Issue #7 took a quick break from the main story and told a story of one of those people, the one and only female to hold the position.

I don't know what else to say about it for now without giving it away. I have become quite picky about the fiction I read and IMO if you have not been reading this title you have missed out. But it's not too late, as I said they are only up to issue #7.

I've also been getting the latest Captain America title, Conan, Civil War, and a small handfull of others.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I have the trade for The Immortal Iron Fist on order. I hope it lives up to the hype. Very much looking forward to it.

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Its been a while since I have been to a shop but heard rumours through the grape vine that at long last the trade for Ghostbusters: Legion was coming out. Despite having all the issues (still searching for the rest of the Variants) I would still like to nab this jem. Can anyone tell me if they have seen it lurking about yet?

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    IIRC the sword came from Origins & Endings, Wolverine's Decimation tie-in. He gave it to Cyclops in Wolverine: Origins because Scott was the only person he trusted to kill him if he ever completly lost control.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Thanks for the background on the sword. In the last Wolverine issue, it noted that Cyclops did have the sword. There were a few panels showing Wolverine asking for it to use against Sabretooth. The next story arc for the Wolverine series should be interesting as it's titled "Logan Dies."

I was interested in "The Immortal Fist" but I haven't picked up any issues. I'll probably check out the TB though.

Has anyone read or like Marvel Zombies? At first, I thought the concept was silly and a poor gimic to sell books, but after reading the one-shot Dead Days, Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness, and the last few issues of Black Panther, I bought into it and enjoyed it. It's pretty entertaining stuff and it's a nice blend of the two genres; superheroes and zombies. The Mavel Zombies ate Galactus in the Black Panter series and pretty much the entire planet of Skrulls. Marvel Zombies 2 starts up in October. It's suppose to be like Civil War. There's going to be a hardcopy compilation of the storys and cover art of the books this fall, which I'm definitely getting.

[image=http://www.in-sect.com/scr/marvel_zombies.jpg] [image=http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Dec_05/fullMARZOM001_col.jpg] [image=http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/Marvel/Mondo/MARZOM003_secondprint.jpg]

[image=http://dreamers.com/venenodefinitivo/marvel_zombies_03.jpg] [image=http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/666/666585/marvel-zombies-20051114024145364-000.jpg] [image=http://freakcomics.com/images/collectedzomweb.jpg]

8. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    As silly as it sounds I have heard nothing but good things about Marvel Zombies. IIRC its penned my Kirkman known for his ongoing Zombie series called The Walking Dead that seems to have developed a cult status. So I look forward to getting my hands on a copy. Afterall how can you go wrong combining Superheroes and Zombies. I love it! :p

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yup, Kirkman's Walking Dead is pure genius. If you're not reading it, you should.

I've enjoyed all the Marvel Zombie's stuff I've read. It's great because you don't have to take it too seriously. Seeing the zombies constantly bickering with each other is pure comedy. Every one I know who's read it has loved it. There's a reason it get's re-released every few months with a new cover.

Marvel Zombies actually started during Mark Millar's run in Ultimate Fantastic Four. Reed Richards was contacted by an alternate version of himself who taught him how to make a transporter for travel to each other's universe. Reed went along and found himself stranded in a destroyed NYC. He teams up with Magneto, the only non-infected superhuman left on Earth as the zombie Fantastic Four travel to the Ultimate Universe. It's collected in Ultimate Fantastic Four vol. 6 "Crossover".

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I've read those issues of the Ultimate Fantastic Four were the Zombies first appeared.

BTW, does anyone know why Superman #666 didn't drop today? DC listed it on it's website today.

[image=http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/7801_400x600.jpg]

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A preview for Iron Fist #8

One thing I hope to see, if it doesn't exist already, is a good map of K'un-Lun. I assume it is vast given that people live there all their(immortal?) lives and might want some elbow room, not to mention the other 6 everlasting cities which have their own champions as has been revealed.

I hope too that the backgrounds of the August Personage of Jade and the Thunderer are explored at some point.

I also picked up the Sinestro Corps #1 today which everone has harped about. I liked it but I am not sure I'll start getting Green Lantern titles just yet.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, I don't know if there are any DC fans around here, but if so, are you reading Countdown? I would love to, but I haven't read 52 or even Infinite Crisis. I feel like there's no possible way for me to catch up and read Countdown weekly. Just going to have to wait for TPBs, I guess.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Okay, forgive me if I'm breaking up some in-depth conversation her, butI have NO idea what is going on in DC right now. I stopped reading 52 a long time ago, so I have no idea what's going on.

If I re-read Infinite Crisis and catch up on 52, then ther'e this Countdown or Countdown to Final Crisis thing, right? So does that take place immediately after 52, because then what about allt he other "One Year Later" titles?Does it take place after all of them? Also, does this "Brave New World" thing that came out last yearhave anthing to do with that? When does that fall?

Geez, DiDio, you're confusing me!

14. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    To simplify it, Infinite Crisis leads into 52 which is followed by Countdown (which will be renamed Countdown to Final Crisis), which leads to Final Crisis. 52 filled in the missing year between IC and "One Year Later," while Countdown is running concurrently with current DCU continuity (for example, we've seen Amazons Attack and The Lightning Saga touched upon in Countdown).

But really, all you need to read is "The Sinestro Corps War." That's ten kinds of awesome. :p

15. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    I knew all that. What I'mr eall asking is, with "52" leading into "Countdown to Final Crisis," where does "brave New World" and allthe other "One Year Later" titles fit in? Do they just take place betweent hem, or does "Countdown to Final Crisis" pick up like right where 52 left off?

Slimy!

16. MisterStayPuft

MisterStayPuft Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2007
    They run simultaneous to Countdown. Countdown picks up soon after 52.

17. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Brave New World was essentially an advertisment for some new series that DC was launching post-IC, but it did introduce the concept of the Monitors (plural) in the DCU. And it's kinda misleading to think of One Year Later as a crossover. All it was, was that every title just jumped forward one year after IC. It's not like there are plot details in each title that you need to know. And like I said, Countdown runs alongside current DCU continuity, and it's not really a follow-up to 52, except in the fact it's another year long weekly. 52 told it's story, Countdown is telling its own.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've been reading Sinestro Corps, and since it's been out for awhile I let out a slight spoiler. It's one of the best storylines of the summer because it resembles the Jedi purge of the Star Wars prequels as Sinestro has returned with an enormous army. Revenge and fear drive the Sinestro Corps against the Green Lantern Corps; and to top it off it features the return of Parallax.

Here's a question... Parallax vs. The Phoenix. Who would win???

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Normal_Parallax_Entity_by_Igle.PNG] VS [image=http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7041/001ara9.jpg]

As for Countdown... I've been reading the series, despite not reading Infinite Crisis or the first 90% of 52. I've caught up with those storylines by reading Wikipedia. There's alot of things I fully don't understand, but you can kind of follow along. It's like reading Heroes, as they are multiple subplots (Jimmy Olsen's new powers, the search for Ray Palmer, Death of a New God, the New Mary Marvel, etc..) that underline an upcoming major event. What's also good about Countdown is it's like two comic books in one because it also features the history of the multiverse.

BTW, I just read Target X-23 and I liked it. It's like Wolverine meets Jessica Alba's Dark Angel; where a young lady discovers she's been trained to be a ruthless killer by "a facility" and is on the run from the people that created her.

[image=http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0107/X23VOL2002_COV.jpg]

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Additionally 52 does not lead into Countdown. After IC the DC universe jumped a head one year. 52 explained what happened in that year and did it's own thing. All the other titles took place a year after all that happened. Meaning that Countdown happens over a year after 52, concurrent with all other DC titles.

IC-52-OYL-Countdown/current dc series.

20. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    I know 'One Year Later' is just something that was stamped on all the different titles, but what I meant wss, where do those fit in with "Countdown to Final Crisis,"and you've answered that for me now, thank you.Butt here are important events that happen in each ofthe titles that start One Year Later, like Wonder Woman returning as some sort of secret agent or something (I don't know, I haven't read any of the titles since IC),a ndif all ofthose titles, as well as Brave New World,just all happen simultaneously with Countown-to-FC, than how thehell am I supposed to know when what comics fit in the continuity of the others. Hell, all the "
    One Year Later" titles started last year, and now you're telling me that this new series that started just a couple ofmonths ago is taking place alongside them? So this new series CD-to-FC is like months behind the continuity of the regular titles going on now?

Oh, what a headache! 8-}

EDIT: Oh, Soontir-Fel just nailed it for me. So CD-FC actually is in sync withthe current DC titles, and takes place after allthe 'One Year Later' stories that came before it, which include 'Brave New World.' All right, thanks! Headache cured, vision restored. I'm gonna get started on reading now! :)

Slimy!

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Don't do that you douche.

22. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Thus why I advise just reading Sinestro Corps War. :p

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've been reading the new Wonder Woman title, and at first Diana Prince did retired as Wonder Woman as she snapped the neck of Maxwell Lord, who beat the crap out Batman and was controlling the mind of Superman.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/WWMax.png]

So, the mantle of Wonder Woman was taken up by Donna Troy (first known as Wonder Girl), as Diana became an agent with the Super MetaHuman Affairs Agency (or something like that) with the help of her good friend Bruce Wayne. However, some of Wonder Woman old nemesis seek revenge and use Donna Troy as bait to draw her out. Which they were able to do so, and flows right into Amazons Attack; which is not a bad storyline but the it's not really a clash of titans, as the JLA is primarily a rescue and containment force rather than counter strike force against the Amazons.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I finally got my Immortal Iron Fist hardcover through the mail. Pretty cool.

Dany says "meh", "I am Iron Fist and I know Kung Fu", and "I have the best Kung Fu. So bring it."

I am pleased.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm glad you liked it. I'd say it's seven for seven bullseye.