main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see, not in order:

Action Comics(this is mostly to ensure a #1000)
    Hellblazer
    Wonder Woman
    Deadman
    Astonishing X-Men
    X-Men Blue/Red/Gold
    Jean Grey
    Thanos
    Old Man Logan
    Old Man Hawkeye
    Doomsday Clock
    Dr Strange
    Daredevil
    Captain America
    Iron Fist
    All-New Wolverine
    Saga
    Mighty Thor
    Invincible Iron Man
    Batman White Knight
    New Mutants(new series starting this month)

Just realized I forgot Moon Knight but I don't think it sells out.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks for keeping the companies afloat @VadersLaMent :p Maybe when my situation changes, I'll try a few more titles collected.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have just read What if…? 64 (vol.2).

The premise is that Tony Stark, after returning from Vietnam went ahead and patented the technology, causing a boom in advancement, both military and medical. When the story begin the year is 1982 andStark-tech have changed the world, we see super villains being taken down by SWAT-teams in Iron-Man armour (known as the Iron Guard), Nick Fury having a cybernetic eye and many superheroes retiring since the Iron Guard did such a good job, among other things. But on the other hand industry espionage have led to others getting their hands on Stark’s technology – like the Beetle who now is at Iron-Man level and Dr. Doom who used it to kill the Fantastic Four, among other – and the Iron Guard can no longer keep up.

Tony himself have become an hidden eremite, angsting about the problems his tech has created and tinkering to keep his company’s tech (and thereby U.S.A.) one steep ahead of the bad guys while also trying to find an way to fix what he see as the cursed gift he has given the world.

The story itself don’t really begin until Magneto burst in on an UN meeting, declare that mutantkind is not represented at their table and that he know that a new line of Sentinels, built with Star-tech, is being produced and he give the world an ultimatum: stop with the Sentinels and give mutantkind a place at the table, or else.

Realising that the Iron Guard can’t fight against Magneto Peter Parker (who have not been Spider-Man for years) go to Dr. Strage and together they begin to gather other retired superheroes.

If you want to find out the rest, search the internet or read the comic.

I like this story, it present a different world that have really changed and we are allowed to see the changes, many What if…s just follow the story just after the change occurs and don’t really show us how this affect the universe in the long run. This one dose. It also don’t have the problem that some other What if…s and Elseworlds I have seen where the alternative Earth or the main characters life just go to hell just because it’s not the main universe. This Earth is on some ways worse than the normal Marvel Earth but in other ways better, it’s not a good or bad reality, just different.

Something I like is that the teams we see are made up by other characters then usually (it’s really boring when you are in an alternative universe and all the teams are the current or classic line-up). Here for example are this worlds X-Men
    [​IMG]

Something I can complain about is that the art is very late 80’s – early 90’s and for the most part it works and fit with the cyberpunk-ish aesthetic they seems to be going for but sometimes it is just a bit too much blade and guns, and many characters are a bit wrong, I would never have realised that the giant guy was Hank Pym going by the art.

VadersLaMent and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ooof trying to remember my Pull List

Everything with Star Wars on the cover (which is enough to get a monthly pull list going, at least 4 or 5 a month, for any Star Wars geeks out there who just want in on that. currently it's Star Wars, Darth Vader, Thrawn, Aphra, Poe Dameron, with a one-shot or an adaptation mini added every few months)
    Spider-Man (with Bendis leaving, I think the Miles book may go out for awhile but not TOO long)
    Scarlet Spider
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Old Man Logan
    Legion (just added it, it's a mini-series, I am a sucker for 4 or 5 issue minis I can randomly add)
    Saga
    Kick-Ass (when it comes out, geeze I hope they remembered to put it aside for me!)
    Runaways
    The Walking Dead

So it's a decent sized list where I there's at least 2 or 3 book a week or so for me. The wacky part is every once in awhile seemingly EVERYTHING ships on the same week and get a huge stack. Aside from two Image comics, all Marvel Zombie 4 life.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Darn it, the picture was bigger when I posted it, for a bigger version go here http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/File:X-Men_(Earth-64894).jpg

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If I was able to go full old school like I did twenty three years ago, I'd have a pull list of about forty comics a month.

BigAl6ft6 and Master_Lok like this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So, it looks like
    Marvel are relaunching with #1s again. Actually, I like this idea for the Avengers even though it's Jason Aaron, I am keen on the past and present teams (Agamotto looks very cool here.) Which could mean this...

Me? I want Old Man Hawkeye in the main Marvel U now. Right now. :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    There is a Taarna comic due out tomorrow.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Wonder if the brothers art will be manga influenced or not? Man, I haven't seen Taarna since Heavy Metal was released theatrically. I know she's been in the magazine itself though.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I read an advance of tomorrow's Wonder Woman/Batman Brave and the Bold 1 and it is glorious. FYI - The Celtic mythology at the center of the story is spot on. Wonder Woman dealing with the Celtic pantheon of deities in Tir Na Nog is so darn overdue.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Astonishing X-Men 8
    Daredevil 599
    X-Men Gold 22
    Infinity Countdown Prime 1
    Avengers 681
    Batman 41
    The Brave and the Bold 1
    The Mighty Thor 704

Turns out Taarna #1 was only in via special order so none for me. But dude added it to my pull list. Speaking of which, it was kinda cool walking in and before I got anywhere or said anything dude says, "Oh hey, Montie. Let me check what I pulled for you."

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is, by far, the most satisfying comic from the Big 2 that I have read in years. I now fully anticipate it not living up to the hype I just pressured upon it. Try to at least enjoy the ads, now. You're welcome, Montie. :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, the comic shop I used to frequent would get chatty with me whenever I walked in. Back then, women buying comics was less common. Still, it was fun.

Oh Marvel.com is giving US readers a chance to read Thor 700 for free until 2/26 just enter the code THOR700 at https://marvel.com/redeem/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Who's the D-lister in this one?

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Miguel Santos, also known as Living Lightning
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Only one of them that I can say that I'm interested in is the BP one, and that's only becouse I'm wondering what they are going to do. The Avengers one might have interested me if not the Avengers 10k B.C. lineup was one that I have some problems with.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT: ops doubble post
    This month:

New Avengers A.I.M. TPB vol. 1 & 2
    Planetoid TPB vol. 1
    Doctor Aphra TPB vol. 2
    Warlands TPB vol. 3
    Elric THB vol. 4
    Ragnarök: Last God Standing THB
    Deathwatch THB
    Fearless Defenders TPB vol. 1 & 2
    Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps TPB
    Musse Pigg nr 1/2018 <Micky Mouse>

21. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Never heard of him.

The Aphra book was a good one.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I actually may look into the Avengers because of the 1Million B.C. line up (especially Agamotto. I am curious if Jason will right the wrongs of his Doctor Strange run with that character. I love the Druidic/Shamanistic design, and was hoping more would be done with him.)

There was one more title I forgot

Immortal Hulk - May

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's one of the powers that comes from being a D-list character

I like this idea of an pre-historical superhero team. I will try to judge it on its own merit as it comes out (through previews and scans_daily), but I don't like the use of the Phoenix (I feel she is being over used and I don't understand why jet another one of her hosts have to be from Earth), Odin wielding Mjölner and that being something special (going against both the mythology and the old Marvel continuity; and should he not be blond/brown haired, instead of grey, at that time?). I also miss Bloodstone as a member:( and I mean the real Boodstone, not the discontinuity one from Nextwave.

I hope that Agamoto will not be reviled to be a human sorcerer who later ascended into godhood. Personally I don't finds his design that Druidic/Shamanistic, to me it more looks like a Frank Frazetta idea of a barbarian-wizard

Also, do we know how an Iron FIest and a Black Panther 10k B.C. fit with the old coninity? Did not Danny Rand meet the First Iron Fist in the Eigth City and did not the Wakandans that found the vibranium meteorite have metal weapons? And we know that the hyborian age is part of Marvel Continuity, do we know how Avengers 10k B.C fit with that?

B.t.w. you said "Jason will right the wrongs of his Doctor Strange run", and I was wondering what wrongs did he do?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I get that Aaron likes to deconstruct mythology, religions and the concepts of gods in his books. For me, that does not always work. and it's getting kind of old already. Stripping Strange of his magic (Yet again! Why keep him the Sorcerer Supreme if you cannot find ways to make that interesting. Ever since Quesada took over as E-I-C, they've been depowering Stephen for awhile before he regains the title.) You can write the character without him being a Deus Ex Machina (which is a valid argument), but of the most recent of Marvel writers I feel that only Jonathan Hickman wrote Stephen with any kind of thought or depth. Yes, Hickman dragged him through the mud as well, though he really understood Stephen. I am not a fan of Jason's work to put it kindly.

To be fair, I have not read this current Doctor Strange run. It seems like Danny Coates might have a very good angle on Stephen, but I won't know until the arc(s) with Frazier Irving on art are collected, as I am not a fan of Loki in the comics or the movies (I know Stephen won the title back from Loki though.)

Regarding Agamotto, he looks very shamanistic (the deer antlers etc.) to me, and vaguely druid-like (Marvel's interpretation of druids are largely the classical robed ones). If he takes nods from Frazetta, no complaints here. I do not mind who he is, be it a human into godhood, I just want to know if he's going to develop into an interesting sorcerer supreme or just be the token magic user for Odin etc. I won't quibble about Odin's age, but it is interesting that he is wielding Mjolnir. Agreed on Phoenix.

Well, the second issue of the Infinity War Prelude is out today. And it reveals that
    Stephen knows more about the Infinity Stones than any other Avenger. It also explains why he temporarily captured Loki in Thor Ragnarok. I am glad to see Stephen and Wong get that bump up in importance. This will hopefully mean more sceentime for the Benedicts. :)
    The comic does NOT reveal where the Soul Stone is though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And another Marvel relaunch was announced today:

Te-Nehisi Coates and Leinil Yu! Captain America #1 in July - yes, Te-Nishi will continue to write Black Panther.