main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know of any story dealing with a superhero becoming, or suffering from, burnout?

----------------------

This month:

DC comics Bombshells vol. 2
    Malika: Warrior Queen vol.1
    The Michael Moorcock Library - Elric Volume 4: The Weird of the White Wolf
    The Sakai Project: Artists Celebrate Thirty Years of Usagi Yojimbo

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The three right off the top of my head are:

Spider-Man: No More
    [​IMG]

Superman in Kingdom Come

[​IMG]

Old Man Logan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well I guess there will be more Infinity Warps since the entire alt universe was copied into an Infinity Stone. The next Infinity Stones story, because of course there will be one, should be interesting as all the gems have souls now.

I'm not terribly pleased with the ending of Old Man Hawkeye. Not horrible but nothing special.

Extermination 5, well, time travel this, time travel that, and now grown up Cyclops is back.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks but I don't think any of them can really be seen as suffering from burnout based on how they don't seem to have any real problems one they get back in the saddle. Yes they had all had life crises and suffer from a huge case of disillusionment with themselves and the world but that's not the same as being burnout

EDIT:
    I just realised what Hawkeye is saying. And while I don't like the Old Man-verse It would be quite fun if an incarnation of Exiles (with Sabertooth) in a story was looking down at them at that right moment while waiting for orders or get their bearing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Re: OMH will eventually read the last two issues, but that doesn’t surprise me. I’ll wait to read.

Infinity Warps, I really like Stephen/Steven (enough to want to see the soldier supreme on the big screen played by Chris AND Benedict), so if they do a storyline with that warps character in the lead, I’ll be glad to read.

Thanks for the reviews.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    @Gamiel Yeah, none of those qualify as burnout. Clark didn't quit because he was burned out. He quit because he was disappointed that public opinion was against his morals and values regarding criminal justice. Logan quit because he had been tricked into killing everyone at the mansion. Peter wasn't quite burned out, so much as upset that he wasn't being given the respect that he felt that he needed as Spider-Man. The closest to actual burnout was Bruce Wayne during the events leading into and going through "Knightfall", "Knightquest" and "KnightsEnd". Otherwise known by fans as the "Knight Trilogy". There, Bruce was burned out because of how hard he had pushed himself as Batman, which resulted in his physical and emotional exhaustion. Though he doesn't acknowledge it was burn out until the end of act two, when he decides that he can let Jean Paul Valley be his permanent replacement as Batman, before Tim tells him what was going on in his absence. And then at the end, during "Zero Month" and the start of "Prodigal", he states that he only came back because he had to, not because he wanted to.

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, there's this comic book series from Image called Sex.

[​IMG]

The hero retired from crime fighting, IIRC, because he was burnt out. It's been awhile since I read it. It stopped reading it because there was the usual delays in issues being released.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Two reviews of standalone stories I have recently read:

What if…? (v2) #103 the concept is rather interesting: Captain America awakes in a dystopian world where Roxxon was given marketing right to the Super-Soldier serum for civilians and now in practise runs the country. Cap joins the freedom fighters Avengers (Iron-Man (leader), Black Widow, Luke Cage, Hawkeye) together with an old dr. Erskine (Cap was able to save him in this AU) to create an antidote against the highly dangerous Super-Soldier serum variation that Roxxon has been distribution.

As a standalone story it’s… okay minus. I think the main problem is that it’s supposed to take place in the 70’s but don’t look like that one bit like that era, the building, the hair, the clothes, the tech, the superhero outfits are all wrong for the 70’s. Its more late 90’s early 00. Over all actually ,the art is not good, not to say that it’s really bad but it’s not good either.

The ending could also have been done better, as it is it just ends with the Avengers distributing the antidote all-over the place with the help of 4th of July fireworks, and humiliating the Roxxon spokesperson that was leading the celebration. I would have liked to see something that showed how they took back the country from Roxxon.

Something I do like is that they use Ted Sallis, the man that become Man-Thing in 616, as an ally of the Avengers. I do like when AU give obscure characters some spotlight or show how life is different for other the just the main ones.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Ms. Marvel (v2) #9-10 a two-part storyline where Ms. Marvel (Carol Denver) teamup with Rogue to fight Warbird, a mad AU version of Carol Denver out to kill Rogue and, it revealed later, Ms. Marvel also since Ms. Marvel has forgiven Rogue for what she did to her (stole her powers and memories). It’s an interesting story in a way, our hero has to fight an AU version of herself that is all her worst traits with some really good art but I have some problems with it: 1) Ms. Marvel’s attitude toward Warbird when the later reveal that she was in a bar drinking and feeling apathic instead of going to help Avengers feels a bit to hostile/self-rightfulness for one who also been suffering from alcoholism and depression. 2) Warbirds story seems to shift from page to page, in some she seems to say that she left her world just a day or so before, while in other she say that she’s been jumping from reality to reality and in each of those realities she has killed that reality’s Rogue and Carol Denver, and an hour after killing a Carol Denver she is transported into a new reality. It could be so that she has been really effective in her killing but I have hard to believe that; the inconsistency could of course be because Warbird is mad and I will personally go with that instead of the writer forgetting what was said some pages before. 3) Warbird claims to have killed dozens of Rogue and Carol Denver and while she is capable of it, she don’t seems much more powerful then Ms. Marvel (even if she has a range attack) and is not mentally stable. I have just hard to see her able to kill as many Rogue and Carol Denver as she claims, especially since both Rogue and Carol Denver are often team players with other supers near to back them up.

Also, while this short story probably is rather obscure I’m a bit disappointed that they made no call back to it in some way in the Infinity Wars preview number where Carol saw many different realities’ Captain Marvel.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ted Sallis became Man-Thing by being given a failed formulation of the Super-Soldier Serum, so it's fitting he shows up in that story.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    ^No problem.

AND FOR THIS WEEK'S GRAB!

X-Force 1
    Uncanny X-Men 7
    Fantastic 4 #5/650 Wedding Special.

That's it....only 3...I don't....how do I....omg...

BigAl6ft6, blackmyron and Master_Lok like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_rofl]

Your wallet must have been like “Wait...what?!?!?”

VadersLaMent and Juliet316 like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Happily for Christmas I received the collected Flash Gordon books, On The Planet Mongo, The Tyrant of Mongo, and The Fall of Ming covering 1934 through 1944. It'll help me get by. Alex Raymond;s art is cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I actually had more just because there were stray issues that were apparently out the last time I went to the store (UXM 6, Dead Man Logan 2, etc.)

Disappointed that LOEG: Tempest 3 wasn't out.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I received the last 2 of those Flash Gordon collections, as well. So my set is complete. Brilliant books. Good pick up on your part, Montie.

Today's absurdly thin "New Release Day" was blessedly supplemented by the fact that Fantastic Four 650 was 10,000 pages long.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    9980 pages of ads and 20 pages for story! right? [face_batting]

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It is actually loaded with story content. All of the good variety. Considering they took 6 decades to finally reach this wedding, it makes sense to go big on it.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Things I liked in the FF Wedding Special.

Susan putting forcefields on her feet while dancing with Ben.
    Thundra as part of the bachelor party, scamming everyone at poker, "Hatest not the player, Benjamin Grimm."
    I did not know Johnny almost married a Skrull he thought was Alicia masters.
    Thor throws his arm in as a bet during poker, Rocket makes a quip concerning it.

Did Doom go evil again? I was enjoying him as a hero wannabe.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Dare I ask the cover price?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It was steep due to it being a milestone issue. But it does have a ton of actual content. Cover was $8. I wouldn't pay that as a regular price on a monthly basis but it is worth it for a well crafted milestone issue every once in awhile. The fact that the very first line starts with "True Believers..." is enough to get Stan Lee fans snotting all over the place.

Master_Lok likes this.
  23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Don’t know if anyone has seen these vids. Ed Piskor( Hip Hop Family Tree/X-Men: Grand Design) and Jim Rugg( Street Angel) go through each issue of WIZARD magazine page by page and discuss pretty much everything. Really interesting and lots of discussion on comics I never knew existed.

It’s called Cartoonist Kayfabe....

I’ll post the most recent episode. They drop every Monday.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I remember when Amazing Spider-Man 700 hit a few years ago (hell probably documented in this very thread) it was the week between Christmas and New Years and was right when Peter died and Doc Ock became the Superior Spider-Man, there was a mad rush for me across town to find 1 issue and I did, it was the Marcos Martin variant. Cost 20 bucks but worth it cuz the cover was so pretty and very appropriate for the release date

[​IMG]

25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Read a reprint of Justice League Of America #6, The Wheel Of Misfortune. It was pretty good.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.