main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    He had a great run. And it is nice that he will still be able to create a few head sketches at conventions. I hope his health will improve.

Invaders #1 is in my near future. Just waiting on Doctor Strange 400.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This mouth:
    Edge of Spider-Geddon TPB
    Marvel Age: Sentinel - No Hero (vol. 2)
    Marvel Age: Fantastic Four - DOOM (vol. 2)
    Strykeforce vol. 1 (Top Cow edition, collecting issues Strykeforce #1-5 and Codename: Strykeforce #0-3)

4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=
    So that’s how you get your story writing fiber? By eating comics. :p Well done, sir.

Apparently, I’ve been doing it wrong for decades now.:D

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]
    I blame second language and dyslexia

6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_batting]Me: I blame auto correct. :p That’s been my bane online for at least a decade.

I think you have a fine command of English.:)

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Spelling programs is a great help.

8. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I’ve been collecting the deluxe edition of the detective comics under the rebirth line witch I’m enjoying. So I was looking at the all star Batman line and was wondering if anyone’s could tell me what it’s about well holding on to spoilers as much as possible please.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so when is Doomsday Clock going to hit trade paperback? Anytime this year?

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Probably by the end of the year.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah, Wednesday:

Lady Death Hellraiders 1, just bought a couple issues months ago. #1 every time they release it?
    The Immortal Hulk 12, dude is in Hell. Like HELL Hell.
    Guardians of the Galaxy #1, yet another reboot of this title.
    Man Without Fear 4, this has been hella good.
    Lucifer 4, this has been HELLa good too. (teehee)
    Justice League 16, this has not been good.
    Batman 63 guest starring Constantine!
    Avengers 13, in case you missed it, there was some new lore where Odin and older versions of current characters fought Celestials leaving one buried on the Earth(the Avengers are using it as their HQ). So this issue features an Iron Fist from 1,000,000 BC.
    Uncanny X-Men Annual 1, Cyclops cover.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Moon Knight 200 - oy vey. Glad it was only $1.99. Like Bendis & Maleev’s mess, I will flush this run.

Invaders 1 - this might be an interesting take on Namor going dark side ballistic on the surface world again, but the art sure wasn’t worth $4.99.

I’ll wait until the rest of this is on sale.

But Avengers 13 with the first Iron Fist is my fave story that Jason Aaron has ever written. Of course it builds nicely on the Iron Fist mythology, but I also saw a little bit of Kung Fu and bonkers Shaw Brothers wuxia in it and loved that. Plus, Andrea Sorrentino. I’ve always enjoyed his art. I think he found his calling - draw more fantasy martial arts.

I hope this same team does the Agamotto issue too. Definitely worth the $3.99.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I just hunted down and saved a particular image from that Avengers 13 to post in the art thread. I might do a few, its a beautiful comic. You'd never know by that horrible cover art though.

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And here’s an unlettered preview of some of the pages from Marco Checchetto’s Daredevil #1.

https://www.cbr.com/daredevil-interview-zdarsky-checchetto/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Of course, I’ll read the first arc. If I like, I’ll continue. Looks like it could be very interesting.

What convinced me to go forward and read the first arc beyond these sample pages was the cover to April’s issue 4.

What little I’ve read of DD, included some fisticuffs with the character on the cover of 4. So that looks very intense. Cover artist has a great style which reminds me of Bill Sienkiewicz.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So Cylops's return. It took me back to post-Civil War. I was not following comics regularly at the time so had to ask how Cap was brought back. "At the moment he was shot the Red Skull did a time travel switch."

Are you &^%$(*& kidding me? So yes here now Kid Cable did a time thing and Cyclops is back. Blah.

The new GotG was fun. Thanos made a back copy of his mind and uploaded it to someone but who that someone might be is a mystery and all the space characters wanna find out. Speaking beyond the grave a recorded message from Thanos rubbed it in their faces. Interesting to me is Cosmic Ghost Rider who is of course future Punisher, and now they exist during the same time. I hope they meet.

The standout is Avengers 13 with a new previous Iron Fist story which is just beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Having Cyclops return is nudging me back into reading the series on the regular.

Perhaps in a weeks I'll pick up the habit again of reading comic books on the daily.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @VadersLaMent - 100% agree about Avengers 13. I hope Jason does another story with her. He had so much fun writing this issue. When I can tell he's having fun that's generally when I like or love his work (and everyone knows how rare that is for me). I want more of this Jason Aaron writing.

Anyway...

Doctor Strange 10 (400) looks like fun.

But April's issue 13 looks utterly nuts...that cover though!
    [​IMG]

And Sean Phillips is moon lighting as a spaghetti western movie artist for Arrow Video. Here's his cover for Enzo Castellari and Franco Nero's Keoma (that's Franco as Keoma in my current avatar). I nearly fell out of my chair at work when I saw they'll be releasing this in April.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I shall copy my comments:

I guess I'm supposed to take this as a joke but after this rant it doesn't sound like it. Then of course if I don't this somehow makes me a wimp because I cannot take insults disguised as jokes? Over the years I can say I agree with almost everything Maher has said concerning politics. I am a fan. Buut as a fan that means I can tell when something is just a joke and nothing more and when something is, as I said, a real insulting opinion hidden behind being funny. It's sort of like dismissing science fiction as something silly, when in fact scifi is loaded with social commentary. Maher spends a large part of his ranting against uninformed GOP supporters, yet here he is sounding like one. This whole rant is a long winded version of "Stop liking what I don't like!"

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Marvel Age: Fantastic Four - DOOM (vol. 2) - A retelling of some of the first FF stories with modern art, lingo, references and somewhat sensibility. It's okey but the over all art could be better and some of the stuff feels like they are trying to hard to be hip. Don't think I'll keep it.

a) Cool
    b) this give me a continuity and timeline headache

For me he should have stayed dead. I do like Cyclops (and ignore much of the stuff writers have him do) but right now I just want killed of A-listers to stay in their graves. But then again I'm not buying or really reading any of the X-Men comics so I guess I'm complain about stuff I have no real say so in.

that video is a good example to why I found Maher a bit to smug and self-satisfied for me to like his show

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm going to be the heretic and say that I liked the return of Cyclops.

Heroes and villains returning in main continuities is an unfortunate regularly occurring phenomenon in comics; even the three 'never returning' people in Marvel Comics (Bucky, Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacey) didn't hold.
    Having said that, I actually thought Cyclops' return was fairly good, considering the circumstances. We got a never-before-seen past adventure of young Cyclops against a generic, low-level villain that often populated the 1960s, and a reasonable scheme on how it happened.

On the flip side, I've been pretty annoyed with the plot of X-Men Disassembled. A retread of Decimation, with the Earth apparently shrugging this time and not particularly caring.
    Also, The Return of Wolverine has been pretty tedious. But so was The Death of Wolverine, which killed Logan for no good reason and had as the villain an ordinary human that had been killed by being shot in the head at point blank range back in X-Men #7, 25 years prior. No explanation of how he returned.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I could read Fan Fei punching evil faces in all day. :p

VadersLaMent likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Happened across a thing concerning Elektra vs Iron Fist. Went and read it online, and it's one of the best superhero fights ever.

Did IF develop a ranged attack with the chi? 'cuz that is what that looks like.

Edit: Defenders #7, 2017.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In 2 weeks only 2 star wars comics and 1 Amazing Spider-Man issue. I fully expect to be rocked by new books next week.

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Isn't that business as usual for comic fans?

I honestly didn't really care one way or the other (and I don't read Cyclops stuff, myself).

Haven't read that, but I don't follow Wolverine comics in the first place and hold a little grudge since his return meant that X-23 lost the Wolverine mantle (her new series has been great so far, which is the important thing, but still, why?!). Sorry to hear that it wasn't to your liking.

Read that. Though it was okay. Granted, I had no idea the villain was supposed to be dead (but dead people being alive in later stories for no reason is an old problem [face_dunno]) and I wasn't exactly ultra invested in the story. Actually found the tie-ins to be more disappointing. The Logan Legacy stuff was a good idea that could've been better (the X-23 and Daken stories were the highlights) and that Wolverines series had some good ideas squandered by meandering plots and a weak ending.

blackmyron likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Same here