main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Here we go:

Thor 10
    Vertigo House Of Whispers 6
    Detective Comics 998
    Dead Man Logan 4
    The Flash 64, I don't normally get this but it is a part 2 from Batman and the store manager looks out for me.
    Avengers No Road Home 1
    Winter Soldier 3
    Superman 8
    The Punisher 8, this reboot is so much better than the original post Secret Wars reboot.
    Savage Sword Of Conan 1 because of course they have to have more than one Conan title to take my money. Added to pulls.
    Alien 3 by Gibson. I think I would liked to have seen this on film.
    Wonder Woman 64 with awesome variant cover.

[​IMG]

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I love Artgerm's work.

Master_Lok likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Wow. Had no idea that Sean Phillips has been working in the comics industry since he was 15 (1980).

I've been a fan since Wild C.A.T.S. and am super thrilled he's providing artwork for Criterion and Arrow video too.

Pretty cool to see him using a Wacom Cintiq Pro (most comic artists do), but this was the first time I was able to see some of the software controls and the process.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Bought two more floppies this week.
    Stranger Things #1
    Princess Leia #1
    Both were good issues. Wish I bought more, but still have so many that are unread in my collection that I have to chill until enjoying everything I already have.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I did not know this but on top of Doomsday Clock being delayed(it might be out next week...3 months from last issue) it was actually turned bi-monthly. Also it takes place one year ahead of any other timeline and the rest of the DC universe would "catch up" when it was over.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm pretty sure I said something about it last year.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Geeze, actual Watchmen itself came out from Sept 86 to Oct 87, that's only one month missing total for 12 issues for a work of genius. Maybe they should have had half of Doomsday Clock in the can before even talking about it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The problem here is that Geoff Johns and Gary Frank both have a tendency lately, to suffer delays. It started with "Secret Origin" and continued into here. On Johns' end, that has to do with his stepping down from his position at DC and starting up his own studio, which is probably eating into his time.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week a personal record breaking $89.77:

Wolverine Infinity Watch 1, with the cool Gauntlet with claws pointing up cover.
    Old Man Quill 2, quick flip through shows Dr Doom.
    High level 1, a DC Vertigo title.
    The Black Order 4
    Barbarella/Dejah Thoris 2
    Uncanny X-Men 12
    Seven To Eternity 13, one of the coolest fantasies ever.
    Return Of Wolverine 5, it looks like Wolverine is in the X-men title above, could they not finish this first?
    Relay 4
    Lucifer 5
    Justice League/Legion of Doom 18
    Doctor Strange 11, this is cool as Dormamu has taken the form of an African America accountant.
    Coda 9, this an Seven to Eternity...are you seriously not reading these?
    Black Widow 2, they sent her off the Madripoor
    Batman 65, Flash and Batman are at odds as Bats has been hiding information concerning the thing in Heroes In Crisis where they record their thoughts and feelings for therapy.
    Avengers No Road Home 2
    The Avengers 15
    And last but not least the Defenders TPB came in, Elektra vs Iron Fist super fight.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Walking Dead the comic has been going into an interesting way inasmuch the world building is actual world building, and even though there's a another Governor you'd figure in the post-apocalyptic world there would probably be a lot of Governors and Lords and Presidents etc. And it turns out Rick and Alexandria is seen as a %$@$$@ from people who have even larger and more advanced communities, and the quirk added to this new group is unique. Although, I think Kirkman is so afraid to have Yet Another War be the ultimate end point that it's getting particularly talky and non-violent, even for the Walking Dead comic. And by non violent only 1 character got shot in the head lately.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    May Mavel solits: possibly Doctor Strange (not a fan of Clea), and Superior Spider-Man, definitely Punisher and Daredevil 5. I’ll skip the DD issues Marco isn’t drawing (6 for a start).

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I GOT COMICS:

Wonder Woman 65, excellent variant cover by Stanely Lau
    Savage Sword Of Conan 2
    The Flash 65, part 4 of "The Price".
    Fantastic Four 7 with AMAZOID Ribic cover.
    Detective Comics 999...has come far eh?
    Daredevil 2
    Captain America 8
    Action Comics 1008
    Books Of Magic 5
    Avengers No Road Home 3, this is ok. It does have a major story about the Olympian gods being slain. We'll see if that lasts.
    Another Captain Marvel #1 "Braver and Mightier".
    Heroes In Crisis 6
    Justice League Odyssey 6
    And Iron Fist collection of all his Deadly Hands Of Kung-Fu appearances.
    Marvel free previews.

New record: $94.26.

BigAl6ft6 and DAR like this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Your dear wallet!

I’ll have to pick up Daredevil 2 digitally. Working inhuman hours between tomorrow and Friday.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Kevin Smith's Detective 1000 issue short story has Jim Lee art and Smith said A) it's the best Batman story he's ever written and B) he was stoned on different strains of weed he hadn't tried before. So I'm interested to say the least. I'll probably get a golden/silver age cover variant like I did for Superman 1000.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I mentioned the last couple of issues of Cap have been good. Currently he is in a prison run by Strucker housing other villains that assisted Hydra framed for the murder of Thunderbolt Ross. Turns out it may be a character I have not read of in a couple of decades, The Foreigner!

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahah holy %$$# That's like all Marvel Bad Guys End in about an hour. Doom might take 15 minutes more, tops.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Bilbo Fett [face_laugh]

The Marvel Universe wouldn't stand a chance from Xavier's Penance stare and if he used Cerebro while under the influence, Buh Bye!

Just found out that Juan Ferraya is painting the 10 page Moon Knight story Book of Dreams in April's Marvel Comic Presents #4. Of course I am buying that.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah that absolutely untrue, idiotic rumor from Bleeding Cool that Disney would shut down Marvel Comics is not happening.

Skipping the link this time.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't heard that one.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, this came up on my social media feed over the weekend and it was definitely "click bait" material with the headline of "DISNEY SHUTTING DOWN MARVEL COMICS?" with most people just reading the headline and overlooking the question mark at the end. Bleeding Cool just noted the slumping sales of the comic books and how retailers are struggling and quoting a comic book store owner, Brian Hibbs, from San Francisco where Hibbs is criticizing Marvel on their strategy to boost sales (i.e. variant covers short increase of sales but doesn't bring new readers for long term growth).

I think it was Cosmicbook.com that said something like if Marvel comics continue to lose money Disney would licensing out the comic books to some other company like they do with the video games.

Now, the state of comic book sales are declining. The success of the film side hasn't translated to sales on the comic book side. The paper medium like newspapers and magazines have been on the verge of extinction of a long time, and so it shouldn't be surprising the comic books could be facing the same fate. The digital age is wiping away most physical media, whether it be DVD/Blu Rays, newspapers, CDs/Vinyls/tape cassettes, etc. I know a lot of long time comic book readers don't buy individual issues anymore. They wait for reviews when a story arc is over and if they hear the story is good, they'll just be the trades.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So much that is true in your post.

I saw the notice of that Bleeding Cool story because several comic creators on Twitter were very vocal about it. Like you, it went all over my twitter feed over the weekend.

My main issue (ha ha) with not buying more comics now beyond price, is the fact that I do not like storylines, or characterization, or the art. If the comics were still $2 a pop, I'd buy more issues. Me being picky me, I have always been spoiled by art and characterization in comics and when one or both are lacking, there's less chance I'll be buying comics at full price.

Real life being what it is, currently I can only keep up with one or two titles that are absolutely knocking my socks off. And right now, that's The Punisher. I'll pick up an occasional issue of something else here or there (like Marvel Comics Presents #4 with the Moon Knight story). I really enjoyed Daredevil issue #1 with art by Marco Checchetto, but my lack of history with the character means I'll hold out for a digital sale (Marco is taking a breather as of issue 6 too). So I am one of those folks holding off for digital sales, and/or used trades for the most part. If the price per issue was cheaper, I'd buy more.

As I am not as vested in comics as I was even 10 years ago, comics going over to digital isn't as bad to me as streaming services impacting releases of blu rays from boutique studios (such as Shaw Brothers. Amazon Prime pretty much kiboshed 88 Films licensing any additional Shaw Brothers titles because people stopped buying the blu rays.)

Even so, that was the single stupidest comic publishing rumor I've read in a long time.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  23. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I have so many books on Google Play and Scribd. Not to mention audiobooks and documents in Scribd and PDFs. Still haven’t figured out how to use Amazon Kindle. But I still love real books. I can imagine some people still preferring real comics for their experiences with them. And comics have always had its collectors. It’s too bad. But, I do have Marvel Unlimited and can’t wait for DC Universe to become available in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Luke Ross inking a panel for the Savage Sword of Conan #6.

He’s not doing his usual sketchy style here. Much more detail. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Speaking of which:

Conan The Barbarian 4, the store manager heaped high praise upon this leading to a bit of a Conan conversation. He recently introduced a friend to the original impressed with how intense and gritty it was.
    Batman 66
    SW Vader Dark Visions 1
    The Immortal Hulk 14
    Green Arrow 50
    Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History, I feel like Cosmic Ghost Rider is what Deadpool would be like if he had cosmic powers.
    Uncanny X-Men 13
    Justice League 19
    The Dreaming 7
    The Avengers 16
    Hotshots 1, not sure if this is replacing Domino or not.
    Last but not least Doomsday Clock 9...that's...that's...a Legion Flight Ring on the cover.