main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The answer to all of those is Frank Miller went totally bugaboo again like Dark Knight Returns II but this was more coherent than DKRII. Like the ending of Batman suddenly being revitalized to his 30s again totally goes against the entire Dark Knight Returns ethos but kinda works cuz basically, in a sort of reductive way, Dark Knight Returns is about Bruce trying to recapture his youth and he finally did! Literally!

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    for Kraven's Last Hunt story to really work you need to read at least some of the previous stories involving Kraven, you should not begin with it.

MrZAP likes this.
  3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Like I said I've already read vol. 1 of Marvel Zombies online, so I know I like it. I like Kirkman generally even though I'm super behind on TWD, so I'll be finishing it.

Old Man Logan I'm less attached to but it's one of the only Wolverine stories that stand out to me and I've heard the character is interesting. I'm not planning to go read everything he's in, just the original story. Probably won't get to it immediately though compared to some others.
    The more I read about it the more I think maybe I should just start at the beginning of Claremont's run and read through from there, though that'll take quite a bit of time to collect.

How much do the Epic and Complete Collections go for? I usually shy away from omnibus style books because of price, but if it's the best way to read them I can consider it.

Ultimate Spider-Man is probably my top priority for ongoing series. I've wanted to read it for years but just never got to it.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I found the world building in Wolverine the End (an really old Logan in a future that has passed him by find out that something from his past is not closed and begin to dig) better and lacking in Mark Millar, which by all universal laws is a plus ;):p

Try the second hand market, also Marvels black & white Essential collections are cheaper than anything with colour and you don't miss that much

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  5. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    In all honesty regarding Millar the only thing I've ever read of his is Red Son, which is one of my favorite comics of all time.

And yeah I was already planning to buy used. Big editions are often still expensive used though.

Master_Lok likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The only two Millar stories I liked were Red Son and Old Man Logan (Well Hawkeye anyway). Red Son was a great concept.

Anyway, Red Son is definitely worth a read.

eBay might be a place to scour for those collections and/or comic shop sales. Midtown Comics does graphic novel sales at least once every two months, if not more frequently.

MrZAP likes this.
  7. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    eBay is often the first place I look, and Amazon. I go to used bookstores every so often too but the nature of the places means that I don't have much of a planned thing I want to get in mind when I go. The few comic stores in the area are still like a 40 minute bike ride away though so that and price makes me not bother too much. Online is easier and often cheaper. Case in point I was able to get those three Hulk books for a little over $20 altogether, and in decent condition too.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Red Son is, to my understanding, the least Millar-ish of Millar's work.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    THIS week

Power of X 4
    King Thor 1, not sure why this needed a reboot.
    Isola 9, so much time between issues. But it's beautiful
    House of Whispers 13
    Doctor Strange 19
    Daredevil 11
    Catwoman 15
    Black Cat 4, I like that this and Catowman come out the same week.
    Batman 78, City of bane, reunited with Catwoman.
    Event Leviathan 4
    Captain Marvel 10
    Age Of Conan Valeria 2
    Loki 3
    Wonder Woman 78, yes she's fighting Cheetah, but Cheetah has a god-killing sword! She killed Aphrodite with it last issue.
    Detective Comics 1011, I don't like Deadshot with lasers.
    Soulfire collected edition Vol 2 Dragon Fall.
    Free Marvel Previews.

10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The Epic Collection with that story does have a lot of earlier material (including the stuff leading up to certain events that factored into the story).

Gamiel likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Things from this week's comics.

Power of X4, prof takes Douglock to talk to Krakoa, beforehand we see him brush some leaves without ProfX seeing it, and upon those leaves are the design marks of technororganics. So, he is trying to infect/hack it for some future exploit.

I thought King Thor was going to be modern day, and perhaps it will be, but this 1st issue is about the far future when everything else is dead and gone.

Dr Strange got his hands back via an ancient spell to save an car accident victim(guess he doesn't have a spell for healing?) But of course there will be a price.

Wut? Conan 2099? Ok.

I did not bother checking so i am quite ticked that my Vol2 Soulfire is not filled with Michael Turner's art.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    King Thor is the sequel to an alternate future Thor story from years ago.

Warlock was a member of the race that the Phalanx used to scout worlds - I'm sure that's going to factor in before the end. (I missed the bit with Douglock. Good catch!)

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was on Stockholm ComicCon yesterday, and I walked out with a book about dragons by Peter Bergting [face_love], signed, and Arthur Adams Convention Special 2018, signed.

They do ask too much for entrench if you ask me :(

Saw some really good cosplayers and some not so good but still fun ones

Ain't that just He-Man?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So Marvel revealed what’s up with Moon Knight in December.

Kane and Spector an interesting meet up. Couldn’t care less about the other characters. I’ll wait for art and previews

Also Doctor Strange’ status quo is changing again
    Surgeon Supreme o_O and yet another magical deal that will come due.
    Again, I’ll wait for Kev Walker’s art, but I am not much of a fan of Mark Waid’s Doctor Strange.

Nice to see Kev on a magic inclined book again.

15. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    DC's finally giving me one of the omnibuses I've been hoping they'd do, J.H. Williams III's Batwoman run. I am so excited for June. I hope they stick with the cover image it had in the solicitations, as that's my favourite cover from his run, but there are several others I wouldn't be disappointed by if they changed it.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been so enamored with Hickman's work on HOX/POX that I decided to go back and finally finish his SHIELD series with Dustin Weaver, since I stopped reading it when the last two issues got put on indefinite hiatus way back when. It was great. Followed that up with his run on Fantastic Four and FF, which I'd only ever read a handful of issues of. Also great, only 14 issues left to go. Going to read his Avengers/New Avengers run afterwards, capping it off with Secret Wars.

This Hickman guy is pretty good, I think he might have a future in the funnybooks business.

BigAl6ft6, Master_Lok and blackmyron like this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I loved his Manhattan Projects, but I'm guessing that series is on temporary hiatus until the end of time.

Yeah, SHIELD was worth it. It's astonishing that there's very little conversation about Hickman's ending, which probably gives the best possible explanation for the "sliding timeline".

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It's what happens when any book is delayed for too long. Look at Doomsday Clock. That went from a critically acclaimed "this will change the DC Universe forever!" event series that promised to metatextually apologize for the New 52, while concluding plot threads that had been stretched out for two years since the advent of DC Rebirth... to being the second most important sequel to Watchmen of 2019, one that will likely have no real lasting ramifications on the DCU, all because of significant delays. And Doomsday Clock was far less severely delayed than SHIELD was.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    As probably known, S.H.I.E.L.D. was delayed due to the artist’s illness, and then Marvel waiting on the both of them once Dustin could draw again and Hickman finishing the scripts.

I need to eventually finish that. I still think Da Vinci being a part of S.H.I.E.L.D. was one of the coolest ideas Hickman ever unleashed (and he’s come up with some great ideas). Plus, Dustin drawing Da Vinci and stuff like the Celestials etc. throughout history was so cool. Probably the most epic concept Marvel has released in the last decade.

And I enjoy his F4 too. The Council of Reeds is just bonkers.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What I saw of S.H.I.E.L.D. was it full of cool concept and art (I do love the picture of the brood attacking ancient Egypt with ancient-Moon Knight and En Sabah Nur among the Egyptian forces) but I have to admit that I have problem with the main premiss that S.H.I.E.L.D. is this ancient secret conspiracy that has been around for who knows how long and have stooped those countless of threats that they seem unable to handle in the present day.

it needed an IU explanation?

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Obsessive continuity nerds like me needed an explanation. :p

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see:

Valkyrie 3
    Supergirl 34
    Justice League Odyssey 13
    Tony Stark Iron Man 16, rumor is this might be dropped before the end of the year. This is not shocking. It has not been a good run.
    Savage Sword Of Conan 9
    Lucifer 12
    Justice League 32
    History of the Marvel Universe 3
    Dead Man Logan 11
    Blade Runner 2019 #3
    Batman 79
    Superman 15, Legion Of Superheroes issue.
    House of X 5. Excellent Apocalypse cover.

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Today’s House of X was astounding; Hickman continues to outdo himself with these two series. The new issue of Batman was also good. I’ve loved King’s portrayal of Bruce throughout his run, it’s far more human than pretty much every other depiction, and I like getting issues dedicated to his relationship with Selina... but I’m anxious for the City of Bane story to push forward.

blackmyron likes this.
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I second that.

Dead Man Logan was pretty amazing. The series is going full circle and the last issue next month looks to be a fitting end to the series, especially with
    the rebirth of the Avengers. I mean, there's a Hulk, a Thor, an Ant-man.... just missing Iron Man, but I suspect it might be the friendly Ultron we've seen

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    PoX5

So does Wolverine have to get new adamantium?

Copies? Backups? Is it the original them or a copy?