main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone read Abram's Spider-man #1?

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not read it but I have heard that it had surprisingly little lense flare.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So now that Wolverine is reborn at Krakoa, is he back to bone claws?

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I enjoyed it. It wasn't the most mind blowing thing ever, but it's a good start for what could potentially be a really good story. There's just a few tired Spider-Man tropes in it that may or not play out in more clever ways than it presently seems they will. Honestly, I'm also coming off the high of Chip Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story, which I really liked a lot, so anything else runs the risk of falling short.

TiniTinyTony and Master_Lok like this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    No, saw the description of the premise and lost interest.

Master_Lok likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^This.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel Comics 1000 is a pretty deep read and sometimes it kinda fumbles as a "storyline through 80 pages" kind of way. The best stuff is really the standalone pages, the Star Wars page, freakin' Lord and Miller doing a Spider-Man page, Deadpool near the end gets in a really good rant about how 1 page is limiting even though he spends 8 panels just goofing off. These are super-dense stories, though, like a whole lot of panels and dialogue crammed in there for like 80% of them. As an novel experiment, it works actually. And I think I'll pick up Marvel Comics 1001 just for the heck of it. But set aside a chunk of time to get through it.

PymParticles likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Has anyone read Mark Waid's The History of the Marvel Universe? I got the first three issues on Comixology yesterday and I haven't had a chance to sit down with them yet.

I really need to get to my LCS to pick up a copy, I've put that off for way too long. And speaking of Lord & Miller, if Sony and Marvel Studios aren't going to find a way to patch things up, I really hope Sony gives them a say on the next Spider-Man film in one way or another, even as just producers if Jon Watts is brought back to direct.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    not going to get History of Marvel Universe but I DID read an interesting point that I think in issue #2 Waid made up a fictional war that can be the World War II / Vietnam for war-origin tied characters like Fantastic Four, Tony Stark and Punisher. Hadta happen eventually. Although if you ask me Punisher can always be turned up to a unspecific Middle Eastern war vet cuz the US has been in that quadmire for, y'know, decades and I would think Frank's history works better if he's been in something that's "real". Tony and Ben and Reed totally need a random fictional war, though.

anyway from THR
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fixes-history-a-fictional-war-1233910

“I’ve been contending for years that, just as the origin of the FF ‘floats’ a perpetual 12 to 13 years behind current day rather than forcing the characters to age in real time as if they really went up in their rocket ship in 1961, we should also create a ‘floating conflict’ to serve a similar purpose for characters whose origins are tied to specific wars,” Waid told Marvel.com about the new conceit.

“The Punisher's origin, for instance, was originally tied to Vietnam, but the longer it's anchored specifically there, the stranger it gets that Frank Castle isn't 70 years old,” he continued. “Likewise, over the years, we've moved Iron Man's origin from Vietnam to the Persian Gulf War and so forth to keep Tony Stark from being over 80, and it's time we found it a permanent home. Now and forevermore, those characters, along with veterans like Rhodey, Reed Richards, and Ben Grimm will be said to have fought in the Siancong War, a single conflict that will hang perpetually about 15 years behind current continuity — and about which you'll read more someday soon.”

(Originally, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm had served in the Korean War, and James Rhodes in the Vietnam War.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I enjoyed the overarching storyline (for the pages that were involved). It was a nice touch to refer back to the "Scientist's Guild" mentioned in the first Marvel comic, and to incorporate the Enclave (the organization that created Adam Warlock). Equating the Golden Age hero, the Weasel, with the Operator from Mystery Men was also interesting.
    But I live for that nonsense.
    Yeah, that's my kind of thing. He's done a really good job so far summarizing the eponymous subject matter, and the annotations are fantastic. I do like the retcon of the "recent war as part of origin", actually.
    My only real nitpick - the origin of SHIELD was rather vague in early days, and Waid refers to the panel from Marvel: The Lost Generation where Fury is being considered for "Project S.H.I.E.L.D." around 1980 (fixed time). However, in recent years SHIELD is said to have been founded around 1965, and there are a number of comics that support this (the Fury one-shot, the Winter Soldier: The Bitter March LS).

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Saw some excerpts from it. Pretty ambitious, but it seemed like the sliding timescale was applies inconsistently; for example, Doctor Strange's origin was kept in the '60s, despite those comics being sent in the "present day" after the F4 origin story. Do get that all the comics will never totally agree, but not quite sure of all the logic there.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I loved the thirst 2 issues but after that I was rather disappointed with the way the story went.

Really? I was under the impression that Reed and Ben was WWII veterans, with Charles Xavier being in Korea

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In Fantastic Four #11 it's indeed World War II - Ben flew in the Pacific, Reed worked for the OSS. I think Lee and Kirby chose it just because Ben needed to have some military flight experience, Reed was probably designed to be in his 40s, and they both actually fought in WWII so why the hell not? But they started retconning the details from that issue pretty quickly, even during the Lee/Kirby run, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Roy Thomas or such changed it to Korea to try to fix the timeline at some point.

On an unrelated note that I need to get off my chest: oh my god, this week's One Piece, oh my goooooooooooood okay I'm good now.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Xavier will always have his military service in Korea, because he and Cain Marko stumbled on the Temple of Cyttorak there while serving together. That's easy, though, because American troops have been in South Korea since the Korean War.

15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Just movie the temple to SianCong and you're all set.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Superman 15. It appears this was the real Jor-El after all. He is punished by a new galactic council, sent back in time to the moment Krypton dies to see himself and his wife one last time.

Batman's recovery with Catowman's help involves them in disguise where Wayne looks like Magnum PI.

I guess anyone can wield Thor's hammer now. In Old Man Logan Luke Cage's daughter picks it up.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I think Dead Man Logan earned that one, though.
    I'm still pretty sure It's going to lead into a new Avengers group based on the original. We're only missing an Iron Man...

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have now. No that impressed.
    Can't say I like the decision to kill of MJ even if I understand why.

Aunt May is drawn in such a way that I first thought she was aunt Anna.

Find it uninspiring that the bully that appear is a jock with more or less exactly the same design as Flash is often given in flashbacks.

Find it strange that Peter has such an primitive prosthesis, even if we just go by RL tech.

As the comic present is so has aunt May more or less raised Ben alone with Peter never at home and I wonder: what happened to aunt Anna? And is there nobody else in the supporting cast that could be helping out?

Hope that issue #2 show of more of how the world have changed with appearances of some of Spider-Man's established supporting cast

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    lol oh my gosh
    i just looked up that comic. aunt may looks like a heavy set man..well i guess it could be a woman.. I don't know the whole thing sounds bad

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It seems like a train wreck but just a bit too competent to be a truly entertaining train wreck.

How is Bendis' run? I'm very hit or miss on the guy (loved all his Spider-Man stuff, couldn't stand his Avengers) but I've been kind of itching to get back into Supes.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Master_Lok likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I've been enjoying it. I have not regularly bought Superman comics since the 80's, because even then they sucked. Bill was right, "Not a good comic, not particularly well drawn." But now it is well drawn, and it is well written. I started getting them building up to Action Comics 1000, and I have been pleased.

Ramza likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I took a look at Marvel solicitations for December and saw that they have a lots of alternative covers with a Marvel 2020 theme and I have to say that it seems that Marvel have forgotten that there exist more 2020 character than Iron-Man 2020 since they seem to use his design as model for every 2020-ified character's look. I'm actually downright disappointed and irritated that the Spider-Man variant cover use a new Spider-Man (with some stupid cog knee-"pads") design instead of using the already established Spider-Girl 2020 :mad:[face_sigh]

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Spider-Man #1 was an interesting read once I realized it would have made more sense and better if they had slapped Spider-Verse or Ultimate on the cover. Hell Sarah Pichelli on the book really makes it Ultimate Spider-Man Mark 3, which I am totally okay with. Took me about 5 pages to realize what they were going for (or a bit like Spider-Man: Reign). Pete's hook arm is odd considering his arm is still attached (but wrecked) in the first few pages but then when he swings away with MJ it looks like his hand is missing. Anyway, I always like new additions to Spider-Verse and I expect this book once it is finished to play out somewhere in there. It's well written but I can see some Abrams tropes already, distant fathers (which is odd considering he wrote it with his son) and a bad guy searching for The Ultimate McGuffin, young person discovering they are special destiny. But, yah, this is basically another Ultimate Spider-Man, cool!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ultimate Spider-Man got a happy ending despite almost impossible creative and editorial odds you leave my arachnid powered goober of a son alone. :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I do love Wednesday

Marvel Free previews
    Wonder Woman 79 cool variant
    The Avengers #1 Loki Unleashed
    Powers Of X #5
    Detective Comics 1012
    Captain America 14. So glad this turned out to be a good title again.
    Books Of Magic 12
    The Avengers 24 Avengers vs Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Action Comics 1015
    The New Mutants #1...YAY! Not sure if this is supposed to happen during or after Powers and House but here it is.
    Harleen Book One, larger variant version.
    I didn't look at my pulls close enough and I see a Batman Superman #2 I did not intend to get.