main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Base on his homepage so is he a member of the S'Klallam tribe, which is one of the Pacific Northwest Coast Native groups. But in our multimedia, interconnected word don't really a person’s origins need to define their art style, even if I guess that in this cause it's likely so.

He has more on his homepage http://www.jeffreyveregge.com/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Like that Red Wolf cover a lot! Love how Native designs translate into great Vector art. Thx.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Big week.

Low #24, still not read this yet? What's wrong with you?
    Wolverine 4
    X-Men Empyre 4 of 4.
    Avengers 35...yeah yeah
    Batman 97
    Cable 3
    Captain America 22
    Excalibur 11
    Thor 6, been a very good reboot
    Captain Marvel 20
    Valkyrie 10, worried this was gonna stop.
    Catwoman 24
    Wonder Woman annual 4

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I probably should get back into the X-Men before the whole "X of Swords" kicks off, but I still don't feel particularly interested in going in person to the local comic store (plus, my regular store is near work, and I've been working from home for three months)

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I just reading the swedish version of the Phantom with all its ad on comics (right now it's the Scorpion)

6. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Just finished Los Surcos Del Azar, a fantastic comic from Spain about the Spanish anti fascist exiles who fought in WWII, helping to liberate the rest of Europe while thinking the allies would also free Spain eventually, only to be bitterly disappointed. It centers on one participant’s story in particular.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Valkyrie 10, the last issue. Too bad too as it was a decent comic. This is apparently not the last we'll see of the character though.

Captain Marvel is far more interesting as an Accuser especially now as she split up the Universal Weapon with 3 other heroes.

Cap, he goes toe to toe with Selene and gets beat up, saved only by Sharon Carter in a Patriot suit. Horrible artwork.

Harley has given Batman an antidote for the Joker venom raging within him, but it's gonna mess him up but good and next issue he will have a conversation with the Alfred he has in his head.

Wolverine 4 ends with the Lord Of Vampires.

X-Men Empyre has been good. Lil continuity issue, Selene is in this issue, but as I said she just fought Cap.

Wonder Woman Annual makes a discovery of a 3rd tribe of Amazons. This issue knocks it out of the park in the art department.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I caught a couple reviews of Marvel's Empyre event and they've been less than positive. I bought the first issue, but haven't read it.

9. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Maybe someone here can help....

My cousin and I were talking about comics we collected in the late 80’s to the mid 90’s

We both remembered a Justice League collected series that had multiple storylines...with one that was kind of weird...there were these pinkish/orange aliens who could shape shift, even taking on the forms of ppl long since dead. I think two even changed into Laurel and Hardy lol

does anyone recall that? I swear I remember that, but can’t find the books anywhere.

Anyway...it was awhile ago...and It’s possible stories could have blended together, or I could be wrong.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, there are Durlans and they had an offshoot with orange skin.

DRHJ9 likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Another big week.

Legion of Superheroes 8, a trial. Quick flip through shows a very busy looking issue.
    Hellblazer 9
    Books of Magic 22Detective Comics 1026, Killer Croc in this one.
    Action Comics 1024
    Batman Superman 11
    Empyre Avengers 3
    Daredevil Annual 1
    X-Men 11
    Hellions 3
    X-Factor 2
    Wonder Woman 761
    Bladerunner 2019 #9
    Batman Three Jokers Book One, forgot all about this.
    Marvel Free previews, Esad Ribic Eternals cover. Don't you wish Esad drew everything?

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @VadersLaMent No, I’m glad Esad doesn’t draw everything. :p

Oh, Marco...Bellismo!

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have thought about joining a forum devoted to comics but when I lurk all I see is whining.

I've been watching a bit of Comic Book men as it is marathoned on PlutoTv. I don't like it. At all. I don't even find it charming.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Three Jokers Black label is outstanding. Batman, Batgirl, Red Hood, and 3 Jokers do not mix well, which is good for us.

X-Men 11, an Empyre cross over, is basically a love letter to Magneto as he takes leadership against the alien threat with commentary.

Wonder Women continues having problems with reality with a new artist. Well, she looks like a teenager with a boob job but it's still good all around.

Hellions, the Goblin Queen is not screwing around. Ultimate evil hard at work.

Detective Comics, can someone name me a time when Croc won against Batman, won a fight of importance, or even really was that threatening?

Enjoying Legion Of Superheroes. It feels like a modern take on the original children version, and if quality keeps up I hope to see the grown up versions.

Looking forward to a new Eternals title.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The hobby continues.

New Mutants 12
    Wolverine 5, last we left off the Lord of Vampires showed up.
    Empyre 6
    Alien 2
    The Dreaming Waking Hours 2
    Guardians of the Galaxy 6
    Batman 98
    Cable 4, I hate that haircut so much.
    Hellblazer Rise and Fall Black Label book one.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So yes batman has his talk with Alfred, which is really a talk with himself. He has an odd rebirth moment as he goes, "I'm..." and then opens his cape and is says Batman on the inside.

New Mutants does what many would like, hunt down trolls and show them a thing or two.

Hellblazer Black Label has John, old friends, killing, a flashback of birth and a first spell, and oh the Devil himself. Good stuff.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Cyperpunk 2077 #1, the art is not bad.
    Captain Marvel 21, she better keep that Universal Weapon.
    Wonder Woman 762
    X-Force 12
    Marauders 12, the shop keeper made sure to point out this was great.
    X-factor 3
    Superman 25, extra-sized issue!

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I recently made a massive comic haul to get caught up with the various X-comics (plus Deadpool). Managed to get most of what was on my list.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Cyberpunk 2077 is good, a nod to Bladerunner in the beginning but the story here stands on its own.

WW, it appears Maxwell Lord has a daughter, a cute one, who has gone cute-evil.

*Sigh*, Captain marvel gives up the Universal Weapon. She has a long lost half sister who has taken the role.

Dude was right, Marauders was good. Basically a sauce for the goose sort of issue as Kitty is out to get Shaw for killing her.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I watched the 1st season but even then it was barely about comics and just the whole price gouging aspect of it.

As for my comic stock, I am still slowly creeping my way up to all my current issues of Amazing Spider-Man, I finally got caught up to 2020 issues! Maybe in 2 months I might be caught up to the newest releases.

Maestro #1 was great, so good, and it looks like they are incorporating Hulk: The End into issue #2 which does make The End/Future Imperfect all the same Hulk PAD Future continuity which was nifty.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Wicked + The Divine

The last long-form read I did, well, it didn't go too well. Was this better than Black Science? It isn't the out-right failure that that story ended up as, yet I'm not entirely certain what to make of it, but there's aspects and elements I like a great deal.

This could be considered the final, extensive statement by Hipster Gillen, a style that he used that irritated some with its 'cooler than thou' tendencies, but I can't say it had that effect on me. There's some very clever meditations on the nature of identity, perception and power in this tale. Gillen also makes some bold calls too - from the ****ing Tara single issue examination of social media; to the mutually destructive relationship of Morrigan and Baphomet, but one where, up until the end, Morrigan is the lead abuser of the two; to the unveiling of Dionysus' asexuality, but not aromatic nature; to Laura's arc, with its self-hatred and how she finds her way out of it; to Baal's messiah complex; Cass' trans identity and a vengeful parent - none of these are easy cards to play. All are areas of sensitive subject matter, but ones that the story explores well.

And then there's McKelvie. There's occasional other artists in here, support acts as it were, but, while their skills aren't in question, it's McKelvie that is the main draw and his art always elevates Gillen's stories. Gillen's worked with other artists, but there's that indefinable something special about his work with McKelvie. This is probably the best example of it, but Young Avengers will give it some good competition.

Things that don't work that well for me is the character of Cass. Gillen clearly loves the character, but she doesn't work as well for me, probably because I've seen people a bit too much like her, with all the edge without any awareness. That I have to give Gillen credit for, Cass realising at the end exactly how she got manipulated when she had thought herself beyond being so.

There's elements of Phonogram here too - all we have is what we have here, it's all we get, so stop being such a bunch of *****, hmm? Like with that story's concept of Retromancers, the idea of the old wishing to control and constrain the new is explored in all kinds of ways, with the general idea being that the flaw lies in trying to control it at all. You want to stay young? Go with the flow.

One idea that has come to the fore in the last year or so, it may have been there earlier, but I didn't spot it, is that of authenticity with regard to personality. People tend to have versions of their personality - the one for at home, at work, with family, with partner, the authenticity idea challenges the idea that all of these have to be separate and distinct, which in turn challenges all those existing relationships and how they work. What would it mean to be more open in the workplace of your own nature? Could you trust people will respond in the right way? What if they did? What if you didn't feel you have to misdirect people away from an aspect? What might you instead do with the time and energy you have from not doing that? And this may also be why I am indeterminate in my view of this story, there's stuff here that really does talk to me; I know some of the reasons for not, but not all of them, not entirely.

One thing I do know is this really benefited from being read as one single long story and not spread out over four years.

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Not quite related @Jedi Ben but is that Ulysses 31 In your avatar?

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Looks like it to me.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It is.

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Now I have the theme-tune stuck in my head.

Master_Lok and Jedi Ben like this.