main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe i jumped into comics a couple years after that stretch. Started with Uncanny 300, which was not too long after the "blue team" X-Men #1 started, IIRC. Basically led into Fatal Attractions (and, hell yeah, I loved those holograms!).

Anyways, signed up for Marvel Unlimited now that i have a tablet that I can use to read stuff during walks or at work (about the only time I have to read these days, alas)- situations where singles and TPBs are difficult to manage without damaging them. So far I've tagged a bunch of stuff to eventually start reading (I gotta figure out where to start the 2000's-era Daredevil run at, since that was highly recommended to me by a customer back when I had my store; though I recall there were a lot of volumes for that series at the time so I forget if he suggested starting at a certain point in the run or from the beginning).

But I started reading Ms. Marvel and The Immortal Hulk and have knocked out the first 5-6 issues of each so far. Ms. Marvel is delightful and I'm really enjoying the slight horror slant to Immortal Hulk. The latter got me thinking- between that series now and listening to the Wolverine: The Long Night audio drama podcast last year, I'm digging the X-Files-like vibe those stories have going (granted, breaking down to the cliches wandering protagonist in a small, isolated town and/or with some form of investigative element to be found) and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other stories along those lines? Doesn't have to specifically be X-Files or Marvel (but certainly can be, especially if I have access to the latter through MUnltd).

pronker likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Peter David’s second X-Factor run might scratch that itch in that it’s largely about detective work, but not so much small town.

Incidentally, for that 2000s Daredevil you might try looking at the curated lists, they often designate key starting issues for important runs on characters. It’s a good way to jump to specific eras or read every silly tie-in to a given event.

Jedi Ben, The2ndQuest and pronker like this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Austen years were about a decade after that.
    I started roughly the same time you did (UXM 281) . Currenty I'm on about issue 445.
    BTW, there was an X-Files comic years ago, and the first 12 issues were outstanding.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm pretty sure it's the Bendis run that was reccomended to me- but going by the info in the app, it seems he came in mid-way and also only wrote sporadic arcs, so, yeah, I'll have to do some research before I jump into a long run like that.

I'll look into it (hard to go wrong with anything Peter David), though I think the semi-isolation element is part of the appeal for me. I think I got on that track after listening to another audio book that also had an Alaskan setting that was sort of a fictional investigation done through interviews and narrative that had an suggested (though subtle) supernatural element (that they unfortunately never pulled the trigger on, so while I enjoyed the journey and setting, it didn't end up delivering what I had hoped for). Wolverine having a similar setting made for a nice point to pick up with as a welcome coincidence. Having semi-Mulder-and-Scully characters involved just furthers the associations, I suppose.

Ah, you had said you were working through a run starting in 1990 and Uncanny 300 was in 1993, thus my confusion.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sorry, that was my bad.
    And I'm going through them all. The goal is read them in roughly the same timeframe, breaking them down by "crisis". The period I'm in now is the longest (between the "Dream's End" crossover and the House of M event) but will thin out from here. I also don't have 100% of the issues.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Just read the second issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin and I'm enjoying the series so far. It gives me the feels of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and shades of Old Man Logan.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I picked up the first issue of Marvel's Alien. This is the first Alien comic that I read, as I don't recall reading any by Dark Horse. Not a thrilling start and kind of surprise most the story takes places on earth rather that some place in outer space. I'm doubting the Alien comic book series will be connected or considered canon to the cinematic universe like Disney has done with the Star Wars comic books. However, this first issue of Alien does connect itself to the original Alien films.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Harley Quinn by Connor and Palmiotti

I have to admit that, as a character, Harley Quinn is easy to despise. What kind of idiot thinks they can fix the Joker? Never mind falling in love with him and believing the relationship could be anything other than destructively toxic. Which is very much an out of world view, but even within the world, it’s still a hard concept to buy.

Sejic’s Harleen was an intriguing take on the character and managed to be distinct from Batman: Mad Love too. That book in part flowed from the popularity of the character and where did that come from? In large part from this five year plus, 2013-2018 run by Palmiotti and Connor. They understood that Harley Quinn allowed for a wide variety of story possibilities, but only if certain things were in place, namely two things: One, get Harley away from the orbit of the Joker and two, get her away from Gotham. With these two moves, they were free to take the character to new places and define Harley Quinn as an individual in a way I hadn’t seen previously. Who is Harley Quinn without reference to the Joker?

The answers to that question took a while and, to be fair, their run could have been longer. As it is, by bowing out when they did, they avoided a ‘putting the toys back in the box’ phase. They didn’t deconstruct all that they had built up for the character – I don’t know if DC were smart enough to keep that running, but I hope so. The reason being that this was a very smart, very sustained, pretty much event-free run. And how many of those do you hear about?

Omnibus 1-2 is a mix – each is one half of Harley’s ongoing series, with the other half being specials and linked miniseries – on one of those they had some fun by having the opening page say that you’d heard about this story a couple of hundred pages ago. The third is just a straight collection of the Rebirth issues. What stands out to me is how it all works – one story unfurls, develops, concludes, but there’ll be other stuff going on, some of which becomes the next story and on and on. This isn’t a new trick but, when done very well, it remains a magical one.

At the same time these creators understand the possibilities the character allows them, but only when matched to the right tone. Which is neither utter lunacy, nor deadly serious, but a careful balance of both to just the right degree. Too serious and there’s the problems of Harley killing various people, too much lunacy and that loses too much weight. At the same time it is a sort of redemption tale for the character as she realises she can have a life for herself.

The other strand that runs through the run is that of meta. The creators turn up in the comic, Harley is sometimes aware she is in and there’s some fun jokes, like Red Tool, where you can quickly work out who is being satirised.

Is it worth the £150-160 I spent on the three Omnibuses? Yes it is, especially in a world where both Marvel and DC tend to do big, flashy event stories that either end runs or seriously interfere with them. In the end? These are very fine, very fun comics and the run absolutely deserves its reputation.

And now I have Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey waiting to be read.

Gamiel and blackmyron like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also that she has no problem helping Joker in his trade, or killing people herself. In the animated series (which introduced her) her only problem with Joker using a giant bomb on Gotham was that her pets would be caught in the blast, nothing else.

And at the times when she decide that she has had enough of the Joker (or Joker throw her out*) she don't try to get out of the criminal life, instead she join forces with known supervillain and murder (among many other bad things) Poison Ivy.
    * Which I say shows that he care about her in some way, he did not kill her after all

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Points for the Marco Checchetto cover, but mini RANT
    why does Marvel have to perpetually yank the Sorcerer Supreme mantle away from Strange every few years ?!? If they do not want him around, shelf him and the SS title for awhile.

I do not even want to know why
    she needs magic now. :rolleyes: Carol is so powerful, what is the point?!?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    soitscometothis and Gamiel like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Do we need spoiler tags for this? I did not know she gets magic every so often. Recently she slept with Strange as a rebound from Rhodey so i assume it'll have something to do with that.

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    OFFS (Not you VL) the plotline. I am putting in spoiler tags because people may not be reading Captain Not Marvel Right now, (I am so glad I am not reading)

I had no idea she needed magic now. What’s the point?

And if it has something to do with sleeping with Stephen after rebounding from Rhodey geez that is even worse. What happened to Carol that she needs to rebound from a break up and then become the avatar of her current paramour? That just doesn’t sound like her character.

More importantly, my point about the Sorcerer Supreme title is that Marvel has been depowering Stephen for decades because they do not like his magical Deus Ex Machina abilities rather than think of clever ways to outfox him without powering him down.

It disappoints me because it seems like a stupid route for Carol (the awful relationship business not withstanding), and once again a slap in the face for Stephen. I just do not understand Marvel Comics lately, for every step forward there’s several steps back.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    soitscometothis likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Judge Dredd: End of Days

Dredd versus the Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Surely some mistake? Nope, but what surprises here is in how Willians executes the story. You think he can’t throw any curveballs but the story is a succession of them, all expertly thrown. Art is OK, it’s always better with MacNeil and Flint but the story doesn’t always have those two titans on the job. The aftermath stories are effective too, with one one once more highlighting the flaws of the Judge system, for those both inside and on the receiving end of it.

Harley Quinn & The Birds Of Prey OHC

Chalk up another Black Label success. If you ever wondered if DC Comics’ characters could mix with full on, uncensored cussing – the answer is, with the right writers, abso-*******-lutely. It’s immensely satisfying reading Renee Montoya referring to the Joker as ******* and ****** because he is so deserving of the contempt.

Do you need to have read their bigger, previous run to enjoy this? You don’t need to, but it certainly helps, despite the excellent recap and summary of the first two pages.

It’s high praise to bring it in, but in terms of how this takes the mick out of superheroes, it reads like a more affectionate, more female orientated Hitman. It’s a very fun book, with some very sharp jokes, of great variety.

Art is superb and really shown off in the larger format. DC need to stick with this, you can feel the volume quality as you read it. True, not that cheap but worth it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Working from home for a month means going back and looking through old comics.

I had never read the whole Mutant X series all the way through despite having the whole run (32 issues, 3 annuals). It's... not good. The plot is that Havok of the X-teams 'died' in an explosion, when in fact his spirit was shunted into the body of another Havok in an alternate universe. There's your usual twists - Havok was the only survivor of the plane crash, with Cyclops being kidnapped by the Shi'ar, and taking his place in history. The Phoenix Force never appeared. The Fantastic Four never got their powers. And so forth.
    The problem is that the writing is really poor. Characters appear and disappear with little rhyme or reason. Storylines will take sudden left turns or just careen off a cliff. And the ending of the series has Havok returning home after saving the world - and by that, I mean the moon shattering, massive destruction worldwide, and the entire population of New York City apparently killed.

House of M was another series that fell into the decade or so I wasn't collecting comics. Going back, I found out that there was two follow-up series even after the event, and the world was much more tied to real-world events, with mutants appearing far earlier than normal (the McCarthy hearings, for example, were about mutants instead of communism), and Steve Rogers being the first man on the moon in 1955(!). Also, that apparently the reason that mutants were outnumbering the humans was because Magneto employed mutants that could bring out 'latent mutations' in they wanted to do that.
    I still hate Decimation and the ruining of the X-comics for the next 15 years, though.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say that it's good to a point, after that it feel like the author was told to just continue and did not know what to do and was just flying by his pants.

Eh, I would not say those were than usual, and especially not gathered together.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there's often deep inconsistencies over the course of the series. Xavier is said at various times to have 'left the X-Men due to illness', having died early in the X-Men's career, and having left after accidentally killing Moira MacTaggart. Havok was apparently part of the original X-Men, but acted like he had never met Jean before.
    It's established early on that the US and Canada are hostile to each other, and then towards the end of the series you find out that Canada conquered Russia, China and southeast Asia. That might've been information that could've been shared earlier. Nick Fury is made to be one of the great villains of the series, and then never appears again after a general 'Evil Xavier was responsible for all that stuff'.
    Howard Mackie's X-comics tend to be wildly inconsistent and all over the place, I've found. Although I feel slightly bad that other writers will basically ignore what he's done in many cases, the most egregious being in Generation X where not only did the supporting cast he create never appear again, but they literally took a part of the campus that was central to his stories and sent it to another dimension, never to be seen again - essentially giving a building the Poochie treatment.
    The only references ever again to Mutant X was in Exiles, where the team dealt with the spirit of the evil Havok from the Mutant X universe being in the regular universe, and Bloodstorm being recruited to join the Watchman's team in Paradise X (where she was apparently cured of her vampirism in the end).

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's true, they really needed a better editor or such.

Are we talking the original Mutant X Havoc here or the 616 version that's inhabiting his body? [I admit not having read all the issues]

Autch. Yea, that's never nice when new authors just do stuff like that.

blackmyron likes this.
  19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, point about Havok and Jean Grey. I guess I should've said the reverse - Jean Grey is believed to have 'died', but the Phoenix Force was dead already and it's never explained exactly what happened.
    I guess I'm being a little unfair because the whole House of M universe ended up being a lot more detailed than I expected, whereas Mackie's Mutant X universe was all over the map.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have myself some problems with the worldbuilding in House of M, and that in the main story we don't have any of the heroes questioning why they should change reality back. The new reality was not really worse than the previous one.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Dark Nights: Metal

This was a fun re-read. While second time around the disjointed nature of it stood out more, it still works quite effectively as a cap-off to Snyder and Capullo Batman run.

Dark Nights: Death Metal

I enjoyed this enough for what it was. I went in expecting a gonzo, cosmic continuity bollocks DC story and, in that respect, it’s fine. At the same time I really had a sense of:

GIF spoilered due to language:
    [​IMG]
    It also really needs an Infinite Crisis Omnibus style that gathers both the main pieces that lead to it, plus the stuff it refers to mid-series, that would boost it quite a bit.

It does suffer from having a “ah, but I knew you’d do that” style villain, no matter how good a reason it has for it due to said villain being a dark Batman, because these kind of villains? They get a bit ******* boring.

One element I could not see in it at all is all the supposed meta commentary that’s …. somewhere in there? Maybe it is and it’s so cryptic as to be invisible to my eyes. Probably a positive for it too.

Of the two series, I think it’s predecessor is a better, more focused work. This one? Yeah, it works as a general big blow-out event series, but maybe I’ve read a few too many of those by now.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I can understand this completely - I'm nearly done reading all the Justice League Dark after needing to wiki the series because there are two TPB Vol. 2's, 3's, 4's etc. due to different "cycles," I guess the term is.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay Marvel, let’s try this yet again. I’m there.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I wonder how many Moon Knight #1s there have been over the years.... :p

Master_Lok and Gamiel like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is always a new moon