main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    ~LALALALALA I CAN’T HEAR YOU THERE WAS NOTHING, SUPERMAN JUST WEIRDLY VANISHED OFF THE SHELVES LALALALALA~

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    TrandoJedi, Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's a lot of Bendis' work I like, but then there is the other stuff...

@Darth_Foo - Black Label recommendations:

Harleen - a really smart take on Harley Quinn by Stejpan Sejic.

Harley Quinn & the Birds of Prey - works better if you've read Palmiotti and Connor's Harley Quinn run but works well on its own too.

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth - a nuts take on the character by Daniel Warren Johnson.

They also issue these as these really nice OHC editions.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    To be fair it’s increasingly unclear how much of the terrible, no good, very bad decisions on Superman were what he wanted to do versus what various editors and corporate figures may have been pushing for. Jon aging up and becoming Superman, in particular, seems to be some long con to get around public domain and lawsuit issues that keep threatening to flare up, but I’m sure there’s more.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I hated new 52. I went from a pull list of dozens of DC titles a week to 0. I had the pleasure a few years back to have Fabian Nicieza sign my Red Robin comics and he said how much he loved writing Tim and how much more he had planned before the New 52 blew all those plans to hell. The way he talked, he had no plans to go back there. I think a lot of writers were burned by that. Gail Simone was basically given the option to write Batgirl or Birds of Prey and I believe she took Batgirl to try and salvage what she could out of that editorial mandate but none of them could really save the characters from that mess. But I think nothing epitomizes how big of a mess it was than the entire Superman run. The only good thing to come out of it all was the return of Superman and Lois and the addition of Jon as Superboy.

Juliet316, Darth_Foo and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It doesn't help that Bendis is one of those writers who will try to make any corporate direction work.

6. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    @pronker
    I've seen statues ect of the Bombshell women but didn't realize they had comics too.

@Jedi Ben
    I'm not much of a Harley Quinn fan but that WW, and Black Label...label sound cool. I imagine it's like the MAXX series from Marvel.

A comic store by me has a gigantic $1 sale three times a year. That's where I get all my company wide cross-over issues for series I don't normally buy. Going to do some research now that I have some ideas of what to avoid and make a list stuff to look for. Thanks all

Juliet316, pronker and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think the attitude about the two sub brands is a little different, DC views Black Label as “prestige” and tries to put projects there in line with that ethos, whereas MAXX always seemed a bit… edgelord.

Juliet316 and Darth_Foo like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Without spoiling, you are more correct than you know on the Harley Quinn mini.

The WW one is stupidly ambitious but he pulls it off.

Edit - Both Max and Black Label allow a higher level of violence and swearing, plus sex. Black Label has more variety as it includes Hill's horror books.

Marvel Max pretty much became Ennis' Punisher-verse. Which is excellent but that's about it for the line, with the exception of Bendis' Alias.

Juliet316 and Darth_Foo like this.
  9. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    Punisher MAXX is what got me back into "mainstream" comics. Around 1997 or so I gave up on Marvel and only got Star Wars and Alien comics.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You have also read the linked Fury series too? Fury: My War Gone is one of the most brilliant and bleak stories you will ever read.

Punisher Soviet is the most recent entry but I know Ennis and Parliv have another Max series they are working on.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That’s because everything else from the label was prreeeeeeeettttyyyyyy baaaaaaaaad and was using the more lax permissions as a crutch to go for shock value (except they weren’t doing shock value as well as the indies anyway!). DC seems - seems - to think Black Label is more like “this has more sex and violence because prestige TV has more sex and violence.” Time will tell if they end up all that different in the final assessment, I suppose.

Juliet316, Darth_Foo and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    I'll get anything Punisher with Ennis' name on it lol. Actually, since he's my favorite comic character, I aim to have all his issues and I'm damn close. Some holes in the late 90's and the newer two volumes (except the War Machine story which was crazy violent for a non-MAXX and also hilarious).

I did not get that Fury story. Unfortunately until recently my comic budget was limited. Those big $1 sales is where I make up for lost time. Go out with a list and come back with 60 some comics [face_dancing] When I see them will def check it out.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The best DC is from about 1997-2007, with some titles continuing to be good until New 52. The only titles that really remained ok during New 52 were Green Lantern titles and Batman titles, because they kept most of their continuity, and were less affected. The New 52 Wonder Woman was pretty good for awhile.

There are lots of good runs from DC, so it's best to cherry pick. I'd recommend Grant Morrison's JLA, immediately followed by Mark Waid's run. From 1997 to the early 2000s. The Superman, and Batman books were mostly good during the early 2000s. The entire Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, starting with 2004's Green Lantern: Rebirth, and the concurrently running Green Lantern Corps. That lasted about a decade, so a lot of good stuff. Things like that.

14. Darth_Foo

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks @Pro Scoundrel

Lots of good ideas and responses here. Reading the Golden Age volumes made me think of expanding my horizons a bit.

My collection:
    2 1/2 boxes of Punisher
    2 1/2 boxes of X-men
    1 box of Marvel. Various issues/ crossovers, Avengers Epic Collections ect.
    1/2 box of Aliens
    1/2 box of X-Files
    1/2 box Star Wars
    1/2 box Other. From Godzilla and Scud the Disposable Assassin to all my DC

You all have given me much to ponder and hunt (for issues of course).

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Count Crowley, Reluctant Midnight Hunter In 1983, Midwestern tv anchor and now alcoholic Jerri loses her cushy big city TV anchor job because of Me Too and winds up heading back to her hometown channel. She blows that too, getting drunk on air. Without a job, Jerri is consoled by her boss who says he’ll give her another chance by subbing for Creature Feature host Rich Barnes (Count Crowley) whose since gone missing.

Jerri’s drunken sarcasm and goth look meshes well with the fact that she hates horror movies. Of course, she soon learns that Rich disappeared because of real monsters and was initiated by his predecessor into monster hunting. Constantly told she can’t do monster hunting because she’s a woman, Jerri does. After run ins with a werewolf and Lurch-like zombie, Jerri defeats the latter and begins AA meetings to nip the alcoholism in the bud. The Me Too angle justified her drunken spirals and she’s just likable enough to want to cheer on. As we leave this volume, Jerri begins to accept her new job and moving on from her awful Me Too trauma, but there’s an unsettling newcomer at the AA meetings...
    the werewolf.
    I hope that doesn’t cause Jerri to start drinking again.

I love the art, a bit of a wink to Dan Brereton (I bet he did the covers) and Jerri’s Count Crowley look is great fun (a more goofy Souixie Souix). Writer David Dastmachian (Yes, Polkadot Man from The Suicide Squad) has a winner here. Lukas Ketner’s art is great. I look forward to volume 2 (which Dark Horse just green lit), and hopefully seeing Jerri in live action at some point.

This is the kind series Rob Zombie would write IF he cared about characters rather than caricatures (He did something with an awful horror host called Whatever Happened To Baron Von Shock, which I don’t remember, thank goodness.)

Count Crowley... winks at local TV Creature Feature hosts are great (If you like David Tennant’s take on Fright Night’s Peter Vincent, you’ll enjoy Jerri). It’s a fun series. Glad I blind bought this digitally (BTW, digital individual issues are cheaper than the collected version).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    pronker and Master_Lok like this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have to pick up a comic today! The final issue of Seven To Eternity, a wonderful fantasy with a perfect blend of art and story and character.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes. Thank you very much. I have all of the first omnibus digital, I might get the second one depending on how cheaply I can find it. I just wish Marvel would start releasing some of these digitally, namely the Fist of Khonshu mini series and Marc Spector Moon Knight -which has no omnibus release schedule yet- So frustrating when The Scarlet Redemption arc is one of the best MK stories ever written, but I digress.

I am glad they’re releasing something, since they ignored MK’s 40th and 45th years since being first introduced.

BTW putting that money into MK commissions, Alex Maleev is worth his asking price...so that’s the main reason why I am skipping buying the first volume at least.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The art on that series is amazing. Glad to hear it's concluding. I bought the first 3 or four issues, and then fell behind. I'll get the rest of the series now.

pronker likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Spirits of Vengeance Spirit Rider 1 - the return of 1800s Sorceress Supreme Kushala who is also possessed by a spirit of vengeance sees her help Johnny Blaze against the demon known as Leviathan. This is more about Kushala than Blaze, and I liked seeing her journey here. She was my favorite new sorcerer supreme from Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, so it’s great to see her again. Her character design is beautiful.

Savage Avengers 23 - Pretty sure I read earlier issues, Kulan Gath is still a right thorn in the heroes collective behinds. I bought this issue for Doctor Strange and Patch Zircher’s art does not disappoint. Oh, the Astral Projection page is gorgeous. And Shuma Gorath in the kitchen with Stephen was hilarious (Not going to spoil it). Sadly though, Marvel are making good on killing Doctor Strange in September as several seeds have been planted in this issue. They are subtle, but noticeable. Also,
    Man-Thing loves cupcakes :p

Glad I bought these.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Worth remembering Remender likes doing Absolute-size hardbacks for his stories and there will be one for Seven To Eternity

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And fails miserably, especially when Bendis takes on characters he hates. The thing is, he supposedly doesn’t hate Superman so...[face_dunno]

I’m kind of twitching about what little I’ve tripped into, regarding Bendis’ current work with Green Arrow. Though Alex Maleev being on Checkmate makes me almost want to read (Naaah, I’ll put that money toward my Maleev commission.)

Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    :oops: I spoiled part of the Savage Avengers 23 bit with Shuma Gorath in the kitchen with Stephen in my fan art homage, but that panel makes me [face_laugh] so hard, I had to. The tone of that issue is really well done (from dire and serious to [face_rofl].) Not a fan of Kulan Gath so I won’t bother going further unless other characters I like show up.

Still, this issue was superb on every level. I think this is where I’ll stop my Doctor Strange reads too.

and regarding Peter and Strange
    Of course Marvel are killing Stephen and taking Peter off the Spidey duties so they do not conflict with Peter becoming Strange’s apprentice in Spider-Man No Way Home...still utterly dumb IMO.

Oooh...I received Sean Chen’s first graphic novel Wingman. The art is gorgeous (Complete homage to The Seventh Seal and Max Von Syndow), but the story takes a different dramatic turn. Most interesting are Sean’s tips on writing and drawing comics. I liked the story, loved the art.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    pronker likes this.