main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    HE ALREADY QUIT HE CALLED THE LAST PART OF THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN THE ****ING TEMPEST HE ANNOUNCED PLANS TO WRITE FIVE NOVELS YOU HACKS

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Every year someone is going to interview Alan Moore and every year they're going to ask him if he's really done with comics like Homer meeting the Head of the Kwik-E-Mart, I swear to the Great Old Ones who are a metaphor for man's inability to grasp the unknown but also a sex thing because it's an Alan Moore story.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's never a "quit" because it's always a "rage quit".

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, The Metabaron is getting finished.

The third OHC came out years ago but ended on a cliffhanger. It was always supposed to be a quartet, with Ribic on the final volume. Clearly that fell apart so I concluded it was dead.

Not anymore. OHC4 is set for March 2023!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Ramza likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay my absolute favorite meta moment of Marvel cosplay:

Daredevil/Mike Murdock fan & DD blogger ‘Daresplaining’ as Mike Murdock reading Mike’s demise in The Devil’s Reign #5.

Beyond his cosplay being perfectly on point 1970s Mike Murdock tacky, his expression seals it. I wish I met this guy at NYCC because I would have cheered him on.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Pair of recent reads:

Joy Operations

A new creator owned book from Bendis, this was a fun read. It's definitely a book boosted by its art.

Weaknesses are the future world isn't that well described, the world building is weak. Joy is your standard security bad ass who, despite Bendis' best efforts, doesn't develop much as the story goes on. For a five-issue paperback, it's overpriced at a RRP of £22.99. A few quid less woukd encourage more experimental buys.

Still, I've wanted Bendis to get back to creator owned work for a long time. In that respect, this is good to see, despite not being his best work.

Norse Mythology Volume 2

There's not much to say about this one for the best reasons: Excellent writing and art, top notch production values on the hardback. That's pretty much it.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And this “Mike” is a woman! :oops:
    Well, I knew that.

Also, Chip Zdarsky continues to make fun of himself and Matt.[face_devil]
    =D=[face_laugh]=D=

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Brought Marvel's Demon Days TPB. Really beautiful and a nice story, recommend it. It's an AU story where the Marvel characters are living in Japan either as human or as yokais/spirits/gods.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Recent reads:

Farmhand Volume 4

It's great to have this series back. Hopefully all the way through to its conclusion, though that is where some Image series fall down. (Redneck and Copperhead I'm looking at you.)

This progresses the story quite a bit, especially if Guillory sticks with the final page cliffhanger.

Little Monsters Volume 1

Pary of me says wait for the OHC but the prices are going that might be too high. In any case this is another great book from Lemire-Nguyen.

With a mostly monochrome art style, punctuated by some very careful use of colour, Lemire unfurls a future, horror dystopia with nods to both climate change and covid.

Radiant Black Volume 3

This continues to be one of the best independent superhero books going. It also has a wry take on superheroes, with one villain being a Crypto Bro set-up flogging NFTs!

Newburn Volume 1

It would be easy but totally unfair to say Jacob Phillips had it made for working in comics. If anything the shadow cast by his father probably made it harder for him. What he shows here is that he has his oen style and it is one very suited to crime stories.

At the same time Zdarsky takes the more unusual move of telling mostly complete single issue stories. But each adds to an overall picture and pays off at the end.

For all he's been cropping up everywhere I haven't read Zdarsky before. Based on this? I like what he does. It all flows well and I'll probably check out his other Image work.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    If you’ve read this thread, you know where I stand with Jason Aaron. Generally, he’s not my cup.

Due to Jason Aaron’s current Punisher limited series eventual crossover with Daredevil, I finally gave in, picking up issue #7 as Daredevil guest stars. Matt Murdock attempts to talk Frank Castle out of being the Hand’s King of Killers and Fist of the Beast.

The Beast is the demon the Hand serve. Daredevil was possessed by the Beast during the Shadowland event which is referenced very cleverly here, as Matt tries to warn Frank of the consequences of giving himself over to the demon.

The two men butt heads again, with Matt going so far
    as performing an exorcism! on Frank -The irony of a hero in a devil costume performing an exorcism is delightful.
    This in hopes of saving Castle from becoming
    something far worse than he already is. Frank thinks he’s in control of himself but...

With all the religious storylines Aaron has written over the years, I was expecting the same old, same old, but the above confrontation was very effective, and felt like an authentic clash between the Punisher and Daredevil. I actually love that Matt learned
    an exorcism spell from Doctor Strange to keep any demons from ever possessing Matt again.

I wonder if Matt will need for himself and Elektra during the coming war between the Hand and Matt & Elektra’s army, The Fist. In Daredevil, Matt learns that he and Elektra will both become Beasts of The Fist - whatever that entails. So I am glad Matt has this exorcism lore in his belt pouch in case it is needed down the road.

Back to this issue of The Punisher, Aaron’s religious theme extends to the reason why Frank was seduced into joining the Hand. I won’t spoil it, but I think Aaron finally hit on the right way to incorporate Catholic/Christian good and evil in a Marvel storyline. Yes, this is an excellent issue.

The art by Jesus Saiz & Paul Azaceta is excellent, Saiz really upped his game since I last came upon his work. And Azaceta’s flashback art is appropriately crude and moody-looking. You really get the feeling Frank never came home from the war, in a way that feels damning. These flashbacks lead into the supernatural vibe stories with the Hand usually take, but in a very effective way. Aaron is doing something different with the Punisher here and I liked what I read in this issue.

Unless Daredevil plays a crucial in role in any of the five remaining issues, I’ll skip reading the rest of the series until the entire run is on sale, but I’m pleasantly surprised by how good this issue was. Glad I bought it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Jedi Ben and Darth_Foo like this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Jorge Jimenez and his lady friend having way too much fun at the Madrid Comic con this weekend.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Dagobahsystem and Gamiel like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    :eek:
    The
    implications of what The Hand are now capable
    of mentioned in the Daredevil 5 preview make this
    coming war between the Hand and the Fist
    sound outright biblical. That makes sense given Zdarsky’s lean into Matt’s Catholicism, but I still did not expect this.=D=[face_hypnotized]

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And when they have weakened each others will the Foot come forth and take over!

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope.

The Balls.

Ennis-Parlov

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sad news, Kevin O'Neill has died.

18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    What an awful year this has been in the world of comics.

blackmyron and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Today's reads:

Time Before Time Volume 3

Like with most time travel stories, I'm not keeping track of who's when and where but this remains a fantastic take on well used ideas.

The Kill Lock

A creator-owned tale from Livio Ramondelli, this was a suprisingly effective tale of convicted robots. You can see Transformers' influence but this is a very different story, with excellent art.

We Have Demons Volume 1

A new story from Synder-Capullo, this is a good version of the demon hunting genre. It's nothing revolutionary but it doesn't have to be.

Usagi Yojimbo: Crossroads

This is another collection of stories that show Stan Sakai doing what he does. Spin great comic stories, with art to match, while making it look so easy.

Reckless: Follow Me Down

Similar to above, this is Brubaker-Phillips showing how to do crime comics. Though, this time, there's a great surprise towards the end.

It's a shame they're taking a break from the series but I also know Night Fever will be worth it.

Ramza likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I saw a display of something like 100 pages of Sakai's original inks once at Kevin Eastman's art gallery in San Diego.

There was one white out mark.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He is unrivaled. Some artists may be more detailed or realistic or even more economical with their line work but, for what he does, his work is immaculate.

Master_Lok, Ramza and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Despite inflation, DHC's Library is still excellent value.

The World of Black Hammer Library Edition Volume 4

The two stories here both play out very smartly. Both take an affectionate, deconstruction approach to both the sidekick and teen heroes concepts.

Both have great art, each with a distinct style matched to the individual story.

Tales from Harrow County Library Edition Volume 1

The eight issues, two arcs collected here start off a good sequel. Both have painted art that differs from its predecessor but consistent with it too.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Anybody know which Doctor it was that shrunk Death's Head in the comics?

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Seventh Doctor. "The Corssroads Of Time". You can find it in "A Cold Day In Hell".

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, yes?

soitscometothis likes this.