main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    For some reason, I can not help it, but read everything and anything that has Superboy-Prime in it? [face_shhh]

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Hey, if BKV and Pia Guerra are putting more time into it, I'm not going to complain. (Note: I don't know that that's the reason for the delay. It's just what I keep telling myself to avoid going insane.)

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That's how I felt when I finished reading the final chapter of OMD. Spider-man/Peter Parker was growing up with me. Parker and MJ hooked up about the same time my wife and I did (Mrs. SSPrime and I have been together for about 17 years. Spider-Man was one of the major characters to actually grow up with it's audience and now the storyline has returned to square one.

As for the Messiah Complex, I didn't read the latest issue but I can't wait to see what happened to Mr. Sinister. Mystique is up to her old tricks of deception and secret motives, and I'm thrilled X-23 is coming into the majors. I loved the mini-series Target X-23. I thought that mini-series could be made into a TV show, like Charmed or Buffy; young female heroes saving the world.

4. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I was reading some guy's wishful theory that OMD is ending up in a pocket universe like Heroes Reborn and that after a year things will snap back to normal. There's actually some evidence for it I guess, I hope its the direction they're going because that could be kick ass.

5. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    lol@pocket universes. Spiderman can't blossom in this universe :p

I picked up the first two ishes of Umbrella Corp. I really like it - dry wit and decent art. Got the latest Angel too.

The chances of me ever getting another ish of New Universal are almost slim to none, the buttsteaks. If I wasn't "working" for Ellis at the moment...I'd probably just ask him nicely what's doing. :(

I used to tell myself stuff like this. Turns out we're just perpetuating a myth that comic fans will wait longer that SciFi series fans for what they want. :p

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This thread makes me feel better about myself.

7. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    That's probably a good thing. I hope it makes your day :)

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  9. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Guy, you're fat and you're ugly.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  11. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I didn't want you to get too confident.

12. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    At this piece there is almost nothing they can't do after OMD since they have dialed the clock wayyy back to make changes. So though its still contemporary they could really play with anything going back to the late 80s/early 90s. Its still unknown how this will effect the rest of the Marvel U (particularly New Avengers).

What intrigues me most is that they state they did this to dial back on the identity revelation and the fallout pertaining to that, but they already dealt with it to some degree in Avengers Initiative...

Its a mixed blessing as the possibilities are endless right now...for better or for worse.

This ranks up there with Sins Past and the Clone Saga for the "what were they thinking" award.

13. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    So I have fallen on hard times financially and find myself in a pickle. It seems that in order to come up with money I need to sell some personal property. Well the only things I have worth significant value are my camera (it took me a long time to get the money to buy it and I need it for work and such) or my comics. Having never sold comics I am not sure if its worth while to go through all 500 of them and find the current selling value or if its better to sell them as a lot. Anyone have any advice?

14. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    ohh uuurgh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

From one destitute seller of goods to another, you're probably better off selling the comics by story arc or miniseries, rather than individually (unless you've got some significant 1's or even 0's). You tend to be able to sell them at a bigger price... Are you going to go through ebay or your local store or what?

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    The immediacy of need suggests that I should sell to a shop. And while I don't have any really key or major issues of anything that would be worth a significant amount, I do have (as you suggested) several collections, mini-series (House of M, Civil War etc) and long runs of comics (Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-men). The problem being that I have a whole bunch of just random issues here and there (picked up mostly because of an artist or writer or major plot point). I have never made a sale like this before so I am not sure how to go about this.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Does anyone follow X-Men?

I just read the "Messiah complex" description, and I have to say it seems like the "Cable vs Bishop- fighting to prevent opposite disasters in the future" thing has been done at least nine times already. Is the Wikipedia description just less exciting than the story actually is?

What would you recommend about getting into comics, generally? Worth it?

For reference, I'm a man who, as a child, never bought comics, but always thought my friends who did were really cool, and tried to borrow/read a few whenever possible. I also generally like superheroes. I've never spent any money on them, though.

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Messiah Complex is just that...Complex. In fact there is much of it that doesn't make sense to me. The Bishop and Cable thing has been done endlessly but there is so much more going on here. Namely the fact that the very essence of what the X-men believe is being rocked to its foundations with the possibilities the child brings. The whole unanswered question of savior/destroyer seems to be the key to it, but there are so many other levels of events and moments that are going to shape the events of the coming months.

I stopped reading X-men shortly after decimation (with the exception of Astonishing) because I really lost interest, but I have to say this is the first time since Avengers Dissassembled that I thought the climaxing and fallout of other major events was actually starting to pay off...so many of the other series that have comes since just seem to go no where and though they promise to change the direction of events for years to come, most of anything that happens seems to be retconed not long after (Thor & Hawkeye brought back to life, Spider-Man identity revealed and then history is erased...). Honestly I am enjoying Messiah Complex more than anything else right now.

18. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    I always liked Cable and Deadpool, myself. :p Never got into the Xmen much outside of the odd Wolverine one shot or mini series (Wolverine and BlackCat for a bad example!) But I have been reading someone else's copies of Messiah Complex...it's damn good, storyline wise. I'll be really interested to see where they go from here and what Stark is up to.

Wocky - Getting into comics is very easy. So much more effort is put into storyline and art and you don't have to stick to the well-knowns. You might enjoy something like 'Transmetropolitan' or '100 Bullets' rather than the superheroey stuff, if you're worried about cyclic storylines. The best way to get into comics, IMHO, is to go into your local comic store, browse the racks, find what you like and then go up to the counter and say 'I like the look of these, what else can you recommend?'

If you have nice guys/girls, they'll be really helpful :p

Spiderfan - I wish you the very best of luck with your selling endeavours :)

19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Merci. Flipping through I have discovered that I had more comics than I thought I did (580 to be precise). However there are some that I simply can not part with for any reason (My double digit Amazing Spider-Man issues and 88MPH Studio's Ghostbusters miniseries and varients for example).

Here is hoping that I can average $1/Issue in sales...

20. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Jabba-Wocky, if you want to get into super hero comics I would recommend downloading older stuff rather than starting to buy the newer stuff.

21. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I just read Ultimates 3 #1

The **** was that ****?

Edit: And now I just read Ultimates 3 #2

Did a 5 year old write this??

22. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I tend to enjoy Loeb's work but it certainly isn't the same as Millar's writing. I am waiting to see how the arc turns out first before really reacting to it.

23. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    But it doesn't even make sense from panel to panel! And the dialogue is like from a Saturday morning cartoon show.

24. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I would have to read them again but I seem to recall it making sense...the direction is somewhat questionable given its only a five issue arc and its taking its sweet time to get to the point, but that might be due partially to the fact I am used to Millar's runs that took a while as well but had a lengthier run to accomplish the end goal.

25. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    The characters are all off, and 616ish. IT STINKS. I AM OUTRAGED.