main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion - Clone Wars: Chapter 12 (Battle of Dantooine) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by masterskywalker, Mar 29, 2004.

1. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    Sheesh.

The wining in here is the same as on the movie boards. People can't even enjoy a 3 minute cartoon..... sad.

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Tartakovsky does say in the commentary that the look of the Seismic Tank was inspired by the World Decastators from Dark Empire (although he's a little more vague than that, he doesn't know his details like us ;) ) but yeah, I think most of us spotted that straight off anyway :p

Oh, and laugh at the whiners, we all do ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Hmm, that was a pretty sweet episode! I liked, however, I was a bit more interested in chapter 11. Still though, i thought that the direction was nice. I liked how they really made the siesmic-tank a looming force. I was like, holy **** when i saw that thing creaing up.

4. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I liked the 'special effects' in this episode, with those huge ground waves and all the droids.
    However, there seemed to be a lot more 'dead' time here, with the kid running, the 'stomper' floating over...etc...
    With only 3+ minutes in each chapter, the time needs to be used better.

5. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    This episode fell a little flat to me. And the kid in the beginning was okay, until I saw his eyes that don't fit with other characters.

But it wasn't bad, just not perfect.

6. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    JediRandy, you took the words right out of my mouth.

-Otis

7. Ninja_Gayden

Ninja_Gayden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2004
    The kid was just laughable and I mean that in a bad way. I'm sorry but that was the worst cartoon that I have ever seen in my entire life!

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Sheesh.

The wining in here is the same as on the movie boards. People can't even enjoy a 3 minute cartoon..... sad.

Well it seems to me that even if there are more complaints about this chapter, the other chapters have been raved over. I fully expect the mixed reactions over these two Mace Windu chapters to be a blip in the series' reception. Not everybody is going to like everything... ever. It's not sad, it's normal. It would be very, very stupid if everyone thought everything in these Clone Wars cartoons was heaven sent, and flawless... because that would surely make them perfect - which they are not.

In conclusion, the mixture of complaints and praise is not sad, it is simply... aware of the art.

9. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    I am aware of this thread.

-Otis

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, some of the complaints seem to center around the fact that certain people just don't like Mace Windu. That's okay.

Some people don't like the animation - that's your opinion I suppose, so why bother watching the episodes if it's the "worst cartoon" you've ever seen?

One of the most legitimate critiques of the episode was the locale - why Dantooine?

In Season 1, the various locations all had a reason why the Clone Wars were being fought there.

And the explanation continues in Chapter 14 (I am Canadian, so I've already seen it) on Ilum.

What is the military target here? To me, it didn't ruin the chapter, I loved it - but it would have added...something...to know WHY they were fighting.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Whether people like the animation.

Whether that is a valid critique depends on whether they like this kind of animation generally and happen to think that Clone Wars is a particularly bad example of it... or ...whether they just think it looks rubbish in comparison to Finding Nemo. One is valid, one is not.

12. JediRandy

Aug 21, 2002
    The reactions such as this is the worst cartoon ever is crazy... why do people has such harsh reactions to stuff in here? Why was it the worst cartoon ever?

13. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Deviating onto this subtopic for just a second.

I really don't think people can justify whining about the animation style any more. We've all had 10 episodes last year to decide if we like it or not.
    I don't like Freddy or Jason movies, but I don't keep watching the new ones then complaining about them. One was enough.

Now. Back on topic, soldiers! ;)

Peace out :D

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Freedy 3 was brilliant, but Freddy 4 was the worst movie ever.

-Otis

15. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    The download works, I downloaded it last night, I think that it isn't Chapter 11 that's coming up, it may just be the name of the file that's kind of weird.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I was really chuffed with myself last night, I downloaded what I thought was Chapter 12 the very instant it was posted. The download whizzed by, and then I found out it was a mis-link to Chapter 11. So, I went back after it had been fixed to get the real Chapter 12 and by now of course, so many more people were busy downloading it and so my download too an age. Grrr... :)

17. Egluck

Egluck Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2004
    What I found wrong with this episode....

1) Why would the clone troopers stop shooting the droids just because the tank was overhead. Or for that matter, what reason is their to have the droids stop attacking just because the tank is there. Might as well have the droids keep fighting until theuy are crushed, these droids dont seem to have emotions or fear the way C-3PO does so i dont think they will mind fighting even though they are about to be crushed.

2) DIdnt the Republic Inteligence reveal the existence of this weapon? Even our own Army will know about most every major weapon another army has before we even show up to fight. That being said, although the tank is obviously very powerful, it seems very prone to attack since it moves so slowly and I dont see why the Republic wouldnt bring along some weapon to negate the tank such as air units or some back ground tanks to keep the tank at bay or take it down before it could do any destruction. It seems rather odd that the clones and Windu would be so surprised to see this thing coming towards them. But I think this is just a problem with this whole clone wars thing in general, with such advanced science does it seems we can have no concept of what kind of weapons such a universe could produce, and it seems pretty strange to think theyd still have little ground units just running at eachother on an open field similar to world war I. You migth say they are only doing this because these units are more expendable than our own soldiers since they are just robots and clones, but I still think there has to be a better way. The only reason they would have to fight like this would be because they called eachother up before hand and made an agreement just to have an honorable fight out in the open and see who wins. I think since the seperatists are more of the rebel element there should have been more implication that they have to resort to underhanded techniques and guerilla tactics rather than just trying to match the republic's sheer power. Maybe this migth all be a result of the mysterious purpose of the war to begin with, does the Emperor really want them to win? Does he want them to put up a good fight? Perhaps this is what motivates these oddly fought battles.

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    1- What would you do if something like that came overhead? They were seeing what type of threat it was, I imagine.

2- Why didn't the Republic Intel find that weapon? Follow the Clone Wars comics and get back to me, the intelligence of this war is horrible. Underestimated forces, missing weapon outposts, etc. It happens a lot.

19. JEDI_JANN

JEDI_JANN Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2004
    Mace Windu Kicks Ass, Li Mu Bai? it´s a great episode, to all fans:Don´t try to understand why they didn´t find out the weapon, it´s a cartoon, a good one, but its a 3 min cartoon and explaining all the background takes allot of time, just enyoy it!

20. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I wonder how much intelligence the Republic or the Confederacy can have in the Clone Wars.

Consider the fact that the Chancellor and Dooku, the leader of the Confederacy, are both on the same side - the Sith - the only side that matters.

In SW: Republic, we have Sid and Dooku sacrificing a brilliant Mon Calamari military tactician because his death would make the war longer - more deaths, more confusion, more dead Jedi, etc.

So there would be even more miscommunication, red herrings, compromised sources, etc. than usual in a wartime situation.

I think I read somewhere that the Confederacy was supposed to have a technological advantage over the Republic (at least for a while). Maybe it's possible the Republic heard rumors of the Seismic Tank and didn't think it was possible.

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The "pounding machine" was amazing, can't wait to see how they figure out how to stop it.

Anyone else having trouble opening Episode 12 at the official CW site without having to click on the commentary?

22. JediRandy

Aug 21, 2002
    Why would the clone troopers stop shooting the droids just because the tank was overhead. Or for that matter, what reason is their to have the droids stop attacking just because the tank is there. Might as well have the droids keep fighting until theuy are crushed, these droids dont seem to have emotions or fear the way C-3PO does so i dont think they will mind fighting even though they are about to be crushed.

Well, first off this is a cartoon. It's entertainment. Enjoy it. Nit-picking military strategy on something that you saw on the cartoon network is laughable. Might as well question the PowerPuff Girls flight formations while your at it.

And as I re-read your second point. My reply stands for that as well.

If you can't lighten up for a cartoon, I shudder to imagine what you do for the actual films.

23. Egluck

Egluck Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2004
    Well yes, it sure would explain it if the seperatists have better technology because all the rich guys (the banking clan and the trade federation) are part of them and funding their war. It seems that we are to accept the fact that the republic never felt a need to beef up their military because the Jedi are such bad asses added with the fact that they have never had to really fight too much. It seems like maybe there really was never a reason for them to have an army, because each planet probabaly has their own military structure, and if there is ever some strife they just send in their own military and the republic probabaly acts more like the United Nations in that they have some small force which can help out but they probabaly have the main goal of working out some peaceful remedy. This war is probaably something very novel because it has to do with the nature of the republic itself, and probabaly many of the member planets are reluctant to send in their own troops to keep these other planets within the republic because they probabaly dont feel it should be their responsibility. Thus we are left with the republic forced to use these clones who are owned by the republic as a political entity, something which Im sure pleases the planets who support the republic but dont want to commit their own forces. Thus it seems quite feasible that the republic would have inferior forces since as we all know, the U.N. is not used to actually conducting a war and if they were forced to assemble a huge army it would all be very new to them.

As you can see one of the things I love about Episode I and II which you dont get much of in the original trilogy is the behind the scenes politics of star wars, which doesnt get directly with alot but seems to pervade alot of the actions and decisions in the movie. Alot of people like to focus on Anakin and Obi-Won and stuff like that, but I think half of these series is showing how Sidious is manipulating the political systems of the universe to rise to power, and I think its pretty well done.

24. TRiLoGYUK

TRiLoGYUK Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2004
    I thought it was good until the Big machine came out!

Dont think it was one of the best Episodes!

25. pirry

pirry Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2002
    the best of the whole serie :D