main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion - Clone Wars: Chapter 14 (The Ilum Incident) [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Master-Fett, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Egluck

Egluck Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2004
    Im thinking its gonna be him flying around like a pin ball knocking over droids, kind of like Blanka from Street Fighter.

2. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Loved this chapter! Damn, Barriss is hot!!

[note to self]
    It's a cartoon. It's a cartoon. [face_plain]
    [/note to self]

Ah whatever, Barriss is hot in AotC too. :p

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    I wonder if we'll see padme in that white skin suit thingy like in the preview pics tommorow.

Good episode, I was distracted for thirty seconds with my baby daughter and missed the first half of the cartoon before I realized what time it is. Thats one thing that stinks about these short episodes. Mst shows, if you realize to late that it is time for your show to start... big deal, you've missed the opening credits...but these.. you miss half the show!

I missed all this lightsaber making stuff. Sounds cool.

4. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I finished watching it on Hyperspace. I got no problem with Barriss' voice. Luminara's, on the other hand... I think it's a little too old for her. First off, I believe she and Obi-Wan are about the same age, late thirties. Secondly, her voice is a little too similar to Asajj's, not just in tone, but in demeanor. A little too cold. Guess whoever did Asajj's voice did Luminara's too.

Blackout, while I agree that in the cartoon Barriss looks better than Luminara, I have to disagree with you otherwise. Look at the pics of Barriss and Luminara from TOS and/or the cover of The Approaching Storm, and I think you'll agree with me that Luminara's the hotter of the pair.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    When I first saw Luminara on the cover of TAS, I thought she was a dude, actually...

6. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Not bad, but not my favorite either. The funniest part was a droid that Luminara decapitated running forward and knocking another droid off into the abyss. :p

Their lightsaber moves didn't seem nearly as fast or fluid as Mace's, Anakin's, and Obi Wan's. The synchronization of their moves was great though, it was something that were were told they could do, but we never saw them use it.

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!First jedi that can fly, droids with cloaking device, master/padawan tag team, Ilum jedi planet, warfare on all fronts, great battles, and 6 more episodes to go with the last one being maybe the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Man this is what I have been missing in star wars......hence star.....wars...battles..more battles and more,more, more.Yeah baby bring it on.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Nice to see female Jedi.

I really liked the synchronized fighting style.

Blowing up the lightsaber crystal supply on Ilum would not only make it more difficult for the Jedi to construct new lightsabers, it is a "holy" place, where Padawan learners take one of the last steps before becoming Jedi Knights.

It would be a moral and spiritual blow to the Jedi as well as a materiel/supply blow.

The one problem I had with this episode was that the transition to Yoda (on Amidala private ship??) didn't really make sense and was quite abrupt. Looking forward to next chapter (as usual).

9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Also...why the hell is Yoda on the yacht? Where the heck are they going together?

10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Perhapes Yoda was on a diplomatic mission with Senator Padme? That's not too far fetched at all, we know Yoda is going on diplomatic mission at least twice more in the EU. Once in a new book, the other in Jedi: Yoda.

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Maybe...but i think it should be explained quickly for the benefit of the audience. The audience shouldn't have to create continuity fixes.

Maybe in the next episode when Yoda argues with Typho.

"We have to get to Alderaan..we can't sidetrack our mission!"

"To Illum we will go"

To Illum we weill go..."

12. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    [obvious_lame_joke]Maybe a secret relationship... it might explain where Luke and Leia came from. (it's all just one big cover-up)[/obvious_lame_joke]

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Typho is in on it?

14. Sand_Hill

Sand_Hill Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Why was Barris constructing a lightsaber? she had one in AOTC.

So they have to go through that ceremony every time they need to replace a lightsaber? no wonder why Obi-Wan was always yelling at Anakin not to lose his.

15. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    At the EU Boards, there's some speculation that they're using this as an official, final ceremony to make Bariss a Jedi Knight. She might've lost her lightsaber before this, and then decided to make building this new lightsaber her final 'trial'.

(just watched the episode again, and I must say that I love the synchronised start)

16. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    It was an ok episode, I'm not a big fan of the episodes without Anakin or Obi-Wan or another central character, hopefully when Yoda shows up it'll get better.

17. TRiLoGYUK

TRiLoGYUK Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2004
    I really liked this episode!

Much better than the first mace Episode!

:D

18. Talz

Talz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I really enjoyed this episode as it shows a "good" Master-Padawan relationship to counter-point Obi-Wan and Anakin's bad relationship.

I was also more comfortable with what the Jedi were and weren't able to do in regards to Force-talent. The situation Luminara and Bariss are in did remind a lot of a few NJO scenes including those listed above. However, the first one that came to my mind was when Mara and Jaina got caught under the collapsed tunnel pursuing Nom Anor when he was posing as a scientist (Dassid Cree'ar?) on Duro.
    In the book, Mara and Jaina must concentrate and use the Force to remove one stone at a time from the top of the rubble until they are free. After the moves we saw Mace pull the last couple days, one wonders why they don't just Force-blast all of it away in every direction.

It was very cool to see Ilum and I really liked the last shot when Barriss sees Luminara meditating and follows suit.

The action was sweet but I don't care for the shots where the character is just standing still and only one arm is animated blocking laser-blasts with the saber. Finally I wasn't impressed with the heart/crystal/lightsaber/Jedi speech but it wasn't any cheesier or cornier than what we've seen before.

19. TRiLoGYUK

TRiLoGYUK Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2004
    Well Said Talz!

I agree with what you have said :D

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Well here we are, back in good Clone Wars territory. Even if the crystals being so crucial bit was maybe a little foolish, we were once again in a place the story had to pay attention to. That was good. This Chapter managed to create an involving story, characters, and involve itself in the 'grand scheme of things' in a way the Mace chapters failed to do (all three of those things work well because they are working in harmony... and that's the trick). What the Mace chapters have forced me to do though, is to compartmentalise these Clone Wars cartoons into a place much closer to the EU than the films, and I therefore find myself able to accept the slight leaps of 'Star Wars' the cartoons are now taking. Which is helpful to me, and to me enjoyment. There was also a great sense of teamwork, and I really enjoyed feeling the quiet power of the force (much more than the massive power usage that Mace was displaying) when the two Jedi were holding up the rocks. That really communicated to me, it was a visualisation of the sense of inevitability surrounding the galaxy - How long can the quiet, upset Jedi hold up and repel the dark, heavy rocks?.

A great cliffhanger too... YODA'S COMINGGGG!!!!! :D :D :D

21. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I was thinking the same thing as Sand Hill: Why was Bariss even making a saber? She had one in The Approaching Storm as well as in AotC. Is this a continuity error? Or is she just replacing one that was destroyed or lost?

Even though, I loved the chapter!

22. Darth_Mugzilla

Darth_Mugzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    Didn't "Shadows of the Empire" go into detail about Luke making his synthetic green crystal for his ROTJ saber?

Didn't it mention about shaping the crystal?

Or, maybe I made up my own description when reading the book...

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The voices were pretty good. This wasn't a bad episode. Not a bad story, although I wonder why the cameleon droids haven't popped up anywhere else.

24. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Blackout, while I agree that in the cartoon Barriss looks better than Luminara, I have to disagree with you otherwise. Look at the pics of Barriss and Luminara from TOS and/or the cover of The Approaching Storm, and I think you'll agree with me that Luminara's the hotter of the pair.

:confused: You're saying that this chick:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/luminaraunduli/img/eu_sm.jpg]

is hotter than this one?:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/barrissoffee/img/eu_sm.jpg]

Ah well, whatever man. Each to his own ;) Leaves Barriss for me...

:p {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

25. JediScott

JediScott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2002
    Did anyone else find it odd that there seemed to be plenty of purple crystals in the cave, yet we have only seen one purple lightsaber?

It would have made more sense that a purple crystal was rare, and that's why Mace has the only one. I don't know, maybe I am being to nitpicky, but I would have rather seen only blue and green crystals in the cave.

Also, it makes me wonder where the red crystals come from that the Sith use.