main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion - Clone Wars: Chapter 18 (Anakin Skywalker vs. Asajj Ventress II) [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dp4m, Apr 6, 2004.

1. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    ^ Use it tommorow. ;)

2. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I wasn't exactly thrilled by it. If Jedi are so powerful they don't even need to use lightsabers during battle, why do they use them anyway? The cartoon flipping around, etc, really makes Jedi powers seem less cool.

The cool part was when the rainfall began. Reminded me of "The Two Towers".

3. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    "The cartoon flipping around, etc, really makes Jedi powers seem less cool."

Ummmm...the Jedi "flip around" in the movies, too....

Anyways...awesome episode. Kicked serious ass from beginning to end. Beautiful. [face_love]

4. sniperpuppies

sniperpuppies Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2004
    As far as I am concerned this is not EU. Lucas has declared this official, IMO this is simply a short film between episodes 2 and 3... and not surprisingly with Genndy making the best american animated show around, Clone Wars is so far IMO better than episodes 1 and 2.

1.Empire Strikes Back
    2.A New Hope
    3.Clone Wars
    4.Return of the Jedi
    5.Phantom Menace
    6.Attack of the Clones

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Another winner!

Sizzling saber effect was a dream come true.

These are just getting more and more epic with every episode.

6. Lukes_Lightsaber

Mar 5, 2004
    Ummmm...the Jedi "flip around" in the movies, too....

But the Jedi in the films actually get tired after they do.

I never read anywhere where these CW cartoons are official. They're just fun things to watch in between the films.

Clone Wars is so far IMO better than episodes 1 and 2.

I'd rather have a story connected to the Jedi flipping around and doing weird stunts.

7. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Very sweet episode :D
    I can't wait to see how this three part fight ends tomorrow! And then welcome the general :D
    I saw a commercial featuring the scene that was talked about of Shaagi losing his nerve and charging. It actually looks very cool!

8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "If Jedi are so powerful they don't even need to use lightsabers during battle, why do they use them anyway?"

Because they are NOT Superman! They are not impervious to fire, bullets, lasers, etc. like he is so they need something to shield themselves from any lethal weapon and that's where the lightsabers come in.

9. Lukes_Lightsaber

Mar 5, 2004
    I just hope Obi-Wan comes back in the show! I miss him!

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This episode pwned!

The choregraphy was great.

Speaking of "Crouching Jedi, Hidden Sith", isn't there one shot when Anakin jumps up to the branch where he is crouching and Asajj is hidden behind the tree? Sweeeet.

The end was absolutely fantastic - I'm sitting there, waiting for someone to make the first move, when the first drop of rain falls. Brilliant.

The only thing in the entire episode that bugged me (they really DO like telekinesis, don't they? 8-}) was when Asajj launched some of the stone rubble at Anakin when he was charging her on top of the temple, and the last chunk hit him in the face.

I know it's suspension of disbelief time, but he blocks everything else so effortlessly I find it hard to believe he'd get hit by a piece of rubble.

Speaking of Anakin's suspectibility to TK, I wonder if that will factor in to The Duel in Episode III? His saber skills are 2nd to none, but his overall awareness/peripheral vision doesn't seem that great.

Anyway, just to comment on the "CW is better than TPM and AOTC" thread:

(a) CW is made up entirely (with a few exceptions) of characters from TPM and AOTC;

(b) CW is short cartoons with ONLY sweet sweet action. I have a feeling that if they were longer, as in, feature-length movie long, they might not be as effective.

Then again, a large part of me wants the CW extended into 30-minute segments.

11. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Great episode!!!!!!! I loved the rain effect on the Lightsabers!!! Sweeeeet stuff! This episode kicked total ass!! The fighting was great, it was just so good! It was freaken kewl! :D Loved it!

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Did the very last shot of Annie and Asajj in the rain look like it was straight out of an Akira Kurosawa movie to anyone else? I swear, the long, long LONG hangtime on the shot, the rain, and the framing looked exactly like it belonged in The Seven Samurai.

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well if it reminded Lucas of Samurai, then Genndy(sp) just got a fruit basket sent to him ;) Karusawa(sp) was a huge influence on Lucas and to see the CW capture that would make old man Lucas very proud indeed.
    With this being a hit with both fans and Lucas, we can only hope they decide to at least another season if not another series.

14. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    If you look close at the stare-down.....Anakin's robo-hand began below the elbow...ah, well, it's not that big a mistake...

I hope tommorow's will be better...

15. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Great episode :cool: Can't wait to see how it ends.

16. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Best. Episode. Yet?

Is that safe to say?

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Nice fight, really exciting... I think. I was left a little cold by it because it was only fighting. However good the fighting was, I was hoping for a little chit-chat to flesh it out a little. Tomorrows will be the best though. :cool:

18. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    As soon as they pulled back the shot in the rain at the end, I too immediately thought "Seven Samurai".

The sizzle on the lightsaber was great too. Way back before AOTC when the rumor of a lightsaber fight in the rain came out, the rumor said the blades would be sizzling. I was disappointed the film never delivered on that. I've heard people say you can here it if you listenly closely. I never have noticed, should have been louder.

19. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    So while lightsabers cannot work submerged in water...they will work in the rain.

So how did Kit Fisto ignite his lightsaber in the ocean of Mon Calamari?

20. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Whoa, that had some nice action and some sweet visuals too. good episode.

21. JdieKnight

JdieKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 1999
    Easily best episode yet. All the style from those Kurosawa films that we see all the time in the Samurai Jack cartoons was here with a twist of Star Wars.

8pm can't come soon enough.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Quest -- that title would never have fit. ;)

23. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Good episode...lightsaber fights always make me happy. I did especially enjoy the final shot.

Best episode? I wouldn't go that far. The gripe I have with this one is that despite of all the action, nothing really happened. They started out fighting, they ended fighting. It ended the same way as chapter 17 with nothing changed.

24. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I enjoyed this episode but the Tarzan style swinging through the trees was a bit over the top I think.

25. JdieKnight

JdieKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 1999
    I think swinging through the trees is part of using your environment which is something that has sort of become expected in most lightsaber duel fights.

And I think a lot happened in this episode in the way of fight choreography and visual style. Did the plot move forward? Not really, but I don't think most of us expected that as long as it was a cool fight.

I think it delivered.