main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Chapter 2 (Assault on Muunilinst, Part II) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jp-30, Nov 9, 2003.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Does anyone else hear echoes of a much earlier Master-Padawan conversation during the Obi-Wan / Anakin dialogue? More in tone and delivery, than in actual content.

OBI-WAN : It is not disrespect, Master, it is the truth.
    QUI-GON : From your point of view....
    OBI-WAN : The boy is dangerous...they all sense it. Why can't you?
    QUI-GON : His fate is uncertain, not dangerous. The Council will decide
    Anakin's future...that should be enough for you. Now get on board!

ANAKIN: Master, I know you don't think I'm ready for a command of my own, but I am the best pilot in the order. Chancellor Palpatine knows it, I don't know why you can't see...
    OBI-WAN: Padawan! Your skills have never been in question, it is your maturity. I've argued this before, but the decision has been made. May the force be with you... commander"

The line Anakin speaks "Chancellor Palpatine knows it, I don't know why you can't see..." is abruptly cut short, perhaps because Obi-Wan is reminded of his own disagreement with his master, Qui-Gon, and how he used a similar phrase "they all sense it. Why can't you?".

Also, Obi-Wan may be referring to that very conversation with Qui-Gon when he says "I've argued this before, but the decision has been made."

:D

2. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    Was anyone a little turned off by the constant state of hostility between Obi Wan and Anakin?

They didn't seem like "good friends." They acted like angry siblings.

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > i was a little ticked when my cousin's husband said they were reviewing and previewing the previous and next shows on tv. wonder why they aren't doing that online

As a dialup user, I'm thankful I'm not downloading summaries and previews! If I want a recap, I'll just watch the earlier episode(s). And as for a preview, well, I'll have the next instalment a day later, so it's no big deal.

The tension between Anakin and Obi-Wan just follows on from their relationship in Attack of the Clones.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Was anyone a little turned off by the constant state of hostility between Obi Wan and Anakin?

I don't see why anyone should be. In all honesty, we've known all along (or at least since the novelization of ROTJ) that Anakin and Obi-Wan will duel and that as a result of that duel, Anakin becomes "more machine than man".

The relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan is one of the central elements of the saga, they go from being friends to being bitter enemies to being reunited at the end of ROTJ after Anakin redeems himself.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I think I know who might rescue that blue clone trooper from the downed gunship...

...one of the Arc troopers that Obi-Wan sent from the main force as they skimmed the planet surface.

You see, the scene is edited to make you think the Arc Trooper Gunship that enters the city is the one shot down, but it is clearly not. A Regular Gunship is the one shot down.

See...
    [image=http://www.hansen.net.nz/starwars/differentgunships.jpg]

Either that, or it's one hell of a continuity error... :eek:

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I must say that I'm impressed so far, and I normally don't like these kinds of realistic cartoons, and I definetly didn't like the first images that were released. It's impressive how they've been able to get so much feeling to the characters.

Seeing Obi-Wan leading the clones is definetly like I imagined General Kenobi. :D :D :D

The best bit though, the battledroid who shoots down the ship. He was hilarious.

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Me thinks you're looking into things too much ;)

8. wintercom

wintercom Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    I think I know who might rescue that blue clone trooper from the downed gunship...
    ...one of the Arc troopers that Obi-Wan sent from the main force as they skimmed the planet surface.
    You see, the scene is edited to make you think the Arc Trooper Gunship that enters the city is the one shot down, but it is clearly not. A Regular Gunship is the one shot down.
    See...
    Either that, or it's one hell of a continuity error...

Dude... it's not clever editing at all. It's just one massive continuity error.

The red ARC trooper clearly pops his head out of the downed Gunship about 3:15 mins in. i.e., it's his blue ARC Gunship that has gone down. But it's painted red in the frames prior to that.

Whoops!

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I was occupied playing Galaxies all night (just enjoying my day off from work) except I made time out to watch this and loved it. Definitely left me begging for more. I also wondered if the ARC trooper shown is the Alpha ARC trooper from the Republic comic books. Would be a nice tip of the hat to continuity if it is.

10. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Finally got online again, LOVED the second chapter. Full of action. Tho I do NOT like Anakin's voice *very* wussy for the Chosen one! lol

And in regards to the Obi/Ani conversation:

Anakin was whining, he likes Palpatine because he always tells him what he wants to hear (and we know from the OT that's not necessarily a good thing). Obi-Wan does his best to keep his Padawan's feet on the ground, not crush his spirit, because he knows that such foolishness may cost him and others their lives - especially now that Anakin is a Commander. Did I feel bad for Anakin as the look on his face did indicate he wanted Obi's approval? Of course. But what it comes down to is it's his own fault because he decides to listen to a greasy old politician who is just buttering him up for his own gains rather than the man who has been his friend and mentor for over 10 years and actually CARES about him. Qui-Gon, Mace, and perhaps even Yoda wouldn't have put their disapproval any more gently. They were being honest and to quote "A Few Good Men" Anakin "can't handle the truth."

Check out these lines from a cut scene from AOTC. It really brings it home. link

To summarize, Obi-Wan rushes over to Anakin before he enters the nightclub and hands him his lightsaber. He says the well known "This weapon is your life." line.

In the cut bit, Anakin responds "I've heard this lesson before..."

Obi-Wan says "But haven't learned anything Anakin."

Conclusion, it's too bad that this bit was cut because it really sums things up. Obi-Wan has been trying his best to teach Anakin but Anakin just refuses to listen. It's not Obi-Wan's fault, it's Anakin's for wanting to take the easy way (which is also the way of the dark side) rather than do the work it takes emotionally (and by taking responsibility for his actions) to become a proper Jedi knight. Jedi knight's shouldn't whine about how their master's don't see how amazing they are. There's no crying in baseball! lol errr... I mean the Jedi Temple!

sg

11. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001

They didn't seem like "good friends." They acted like angry siblings.

As Master and Padawan this is bound to be how they are. They still bicker and its still a strained relationship because Anakin, like most young adults, wants to move on and be free of Obi-Wan.

I havent even seen the second chapter yet, but I believe Obi-Wan isn't balancing out his faith and trust with his concern and worries. If he trusts Anakin's abilities, he should also have faith in Anakin that he can be mature and command the starship fleet. As usual Obi-Wan just isn't a great teacher, not for Anakin anyway....Qui-Gon, a much more compassionate understanding Jedi, would of been the right Master IMHO.
    I can see why Anakin is frustrated with Obi-Wan, he is trying his hardest to show his maturity and that he is ready for such assignments yet Obi-Wan just keeps letting his concern get the better of his judgement.....he is too clouded where Anakin is concerned. Obi-Wan failed Anakin, not as much as Anakin fails himself later, but Obi-Wan's teachings, or lack there of, is one of the reasons Anakin turns out as he does.

Anyway I can't wait to see the chapter this afternoon really sounds thrilling.

12. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    From what I have seen from PM and some things I've read in the EU, Saint Qui-Gon really isn't any less harsh on his "young apprentice" than Obi-Wan is. It's just that Obi-Wan can take it and is emotionally prepared to take responsibility for his actions while Anakin is not.

sg

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>We've NEVER seen someone reload their blaster in the flims.<<

"Alright men, load your weapons" - Sandtrooper in ANH.

>>OK, here's one of the things that I'm not 100% clear on, maybe somebody can help me with this: I always assumed that the Republic Gunships could only be deployed once inside a planet's atmosphere<<

Most can survive in vacuum long enough for high-orbital drops to a planet's surface, and the return trip. Some variants can go deeper into space.

>>Does anyone know what the timeframe of the cartoons are? That is, when does Chapter 1 happen in relation to the battle of Geonosis and EIII?<<

The majority of the series is set 4 months after the Battle of Geonosis (ABG), though Chapters 6 and 7 (I believe) will occur sometime before 2.5 months ABG.

14. SithMacqdor

SithMacqdor Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2002
    how are u goys able to download this online unto your pc?

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You need to subscribe to starwars.com's Hyperspace service, and have Quicktime Pro.

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Chapter 2 was awesome :)

I just love those ARC Troopers and the use of hand signals. I also the sound of the Assault Gunships as they go by and that dogfight was very cool! I'm very impressed so far and I can't believe how much they can into such a short amount of time.

17. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    You need to subscribe to starwars.com's Hyperspace service, and have Quicktime Pro.

No you don't. Just pull it out of your temp internet files.

!snap

18. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    If I miss it on TV I just watch it on TheForce.Net

19. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    No you don't. Just pull it out of your temp internet files.

Hiss, do you know what directory that would be in Win 2000? What would the file names be?

20. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Hiss, do you know what directory that would be in Win 2000? What would the file names be?

What I reccomend is to first delete your temp internet files. Then DL the full thing from the OS (you don't need to watch it, just get the whole thing) then when you go into your temp internet files arrange them by either type or size which will make it easier to find. Then just look for a QT movie file that is really big compared to everything else. Copy and paste that onto your desktop and wha la.

As for how to find the temp internet files... you should be able to open an IE browser, click the tools menu, then go to internet options, then click settings under temp internet, then click view files. If that doesn't work, just do a search for it.

!snap

21. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Hiss, you're right dude, you're right.

After you view the quicktime movie look in:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourloginname\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Look for the type ".mov" and you will find them and you can copy them to another drive, a CD or anything! Whoo hoo!

22. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002

Chapter 2 was great and truly action packed, although for some weird reason, Chapter 1 kept playing in my head. Maybe it's Yoda... :D

Chapter 2 is reminiscent of the war movies that Genndy Tartakovsky seems to love so much... and some parts are kinda like "Black Hawk Down". :)

I'm impressed though that Tartakovsky's team was able to put a lot of stuff in 3 minutes. I was a little skeptical of just how much they will be able to get across in that time frame, but they've succeeded at it so far. :)

The music was great too! It really feels like you're watching Star Wars.

23. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    ~I love the part in Chapter 1 when Yoda was riding on the Taun Taun and that really got stuck in my head.

~The part of Chapter 2 I didn't like was when that little Battle Droid had that big Homing Launcher or whatever that was. I always thought those things were weak.I didn't know they could pick up those thing! They should of had a Super battle Droid or Durge do that damage.

~I just can't wait until tonight!Chapter 3

24. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well I've seen it and I'm not sure I'm fond of Obi-Wan here, he should be proud of his Padawan not holding him back.
    Anakin is capable and he has to trust the boy to make the right decisions and deal with the mission correctly.

Anyway good episode, as with the Clone War battle in AOTC, I wanted more of the actual battle but I'll take what I can get.
    The Arc Troopers were quite good, and I know who is behind that scope at the end ;)

25. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I liked the way Obi-Wan addresses Anakin as Commander. The tone in his voice and the way he said it is the same way Darth Vader addresses Imperial Officers. I guess that's where Anakin picked that up. :D