main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Episode 8 (Obi-Wan vs. Durge) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dp4m, Nov 18, 2003.

1. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Appreciate the hard work jp-30.

What I'm getting at though is that some people just waltz in here and don't read those threads. IF they saw something along the lines of no ep 3 spoilers around the top of the threads it would please me and many others very much I'm sure.

Also, might cut down on your work. ;)

2. Celticsfan

Celticsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    After viewing it for a 2nd time on Hyperspace just now, I must say that it's definitely one of my top two favorite episodes now (although, I love 'em all).

Also, I came to the conclusion that Obi-Wan really has a thing for chopping people in half at the waist (that and arm dismembermant).

3. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Awesome...totally awesome. Best. Episode. Ever.

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "Also, I came to the conclusion that Obi-Wan really has a thing for chopping people in half at the waist (that and arm dismembermant)."

He he, yeah, I was just about to bring that up. :D

If their fight had carried them into a ruined bar, and Obi had finished him then, THEN it would have been perfect. :p

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Appreciate the hard work jp-30.

What I'm getting at though is that some people just waltz in here and don't read those threads. IF they saw something along the lines of no ep 3 spoilers around the top of the threads it would please me and many others very much I'm sure.

Also, might cut down on your work<<

Well, dp4m's the main mod here - I'm just helping out during this unusually busy period. And I have a vested interest in this forum, helping write the forum charter back when it first went live. But cheers!

However dp4m could maybe put an announcement up in the header on Ep3 giudelines, and delete the current "There will be official threads for each episode of Clone Wars - The Epic Micro Series. Look for them!" one...

:)

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm just a Mod, trying to make his way in the galaxy...

;)

7. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Is it just me or does anyone know where the speeder that Obi-Wan took at the end just appear out of no-where? ?[face_plain] I mean, look at the scenes that preceed it. Obi-Wan decimates Durge's bike and then ends up cutting his own bike up.... So is magic repair another Jedi trick that we don't know about??

8. Max_Powers

Max_Powers Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2003
    I think lightsabers in general just chop things off.
    1) Vader chops off Luke's hand
    2) Luke Chops of Vader's hand
    3) Dooku Chops off Anakin's hand
    4) Luke Chops off the specter of Vader's head on Dagobag to reveal his own face
    5) Mace chops off Jango's head
    6) The countless numbers of droids who get chopped in half throughout the Phantom Menace

I think if you have a lightsabre its more likely you'll be doing some chopping more then anything else. Its pretty silly to pierce, as Maul did to Qui Gon, but I guess its a little less ghastly for the new kiddie friendly star wars movies. Why cant we see some blood like we saw from that guy's arm when it got chopped off by Obi Wan in the Cantina?

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The jousting was an interesting twist. And I was a bit surprised that it was Obi-Wan under the clone armor! I saw the clone charge and I thought he had been beheaded when I finally realized, "Oh, that's Obi-Wan!"

The Jedi seem a little overpowered in this series, being able to stop bullets and flamethrowers, but it's still good clean fun. Still, it was nice to finally see Obi-Wan in action, and his pose after eviscerating his foe was very cool!

10. STG_Mudshark

STG_Mudshark Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Comic Book Guy voice: "Best Clone Wars fight, ever!" Well, thus far.

Clone Wars has done nothing more but impress me each and every time. Could this be the start of a new line of SW cartoons in the near future?

Or just a lonely fan boy dream?

11. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Great episode! I loved the Obi-Wan/Durge fight.

I liked Obi-Wan's reaction after he stabbed Durge with the saber, and Durge just started laughing!

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Overpowered? Vader stoppped blasterbolts with his hand.

13. Max_Powers

Nov 18, 2003
    One other thing I think this episode settles is that Clones are better then Droids. People were saying the cartoon was trying to have it both ways by having the Clones kick ass at first and then the IG-88 droids kick the clones asses later. But here we see that clones on speeders beat droids on speeders. I am assuming the clones won the speeder battle since Obi-Won feels he can go join up with the ARC troopers once Durge is dead, and not have to worry about the IG-88 droids still going around destroying the cannons.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Yet in the Bio of Durge, and Im also gathering from people's comments on the comics, that Durge takes out a decent number of Jedi. How can he be killing Jedi when he had such trouble with the unexceptional Obi-Wan?<<

The ones he killed on Naboo were fighting off a biological weapon that had been unleashed- and one fo those was a padawan as I recall.

The ones he killed in Blast Radius resulted from him counting on his regenerative capabilities and his ruthlessness- one is killed when he blasts a nearby Skakoan (sp?) which ruptures the pressure suit, causing a big explosion; and another is killed when Durge grabs the Jedi and drowns him in lava at the expense of his own arms.

15. Max_Powers

Nov 18, 2003
    Hmm, that explains it. I guess if your not a Jedi/Sith, even if you have exceptional capabilities, you have to be in just the right situation to be able to kill a Jedi. Being out in an open field one on one with a great Jedi (ok Ill admit it, Obi-Won is special) is a tall order for any none Jedi/Sith, even Durge.

Just to add again, this is why Darth Maul is the baddest(best) character yet. In no other instance have we seen a jedi/sith or anyone for that matter battle two Jedi at once much less hold their own in that fight. Not only did he fight two Jedi, but he actually went looking for the fight. Now one might say Obi-Won didnt count as a Jedi at that time but I think they said he was close to being a Jedi so lets just say he was as good as one. Anyway my point is, in the Star Wars Power rankings, Darth Maul has to be at least number two. Ill give Anakin number one for now because he supposadly kills almost all of the Jedi.

16. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Awesome episode! This may be my favorite chapter so far.

17. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    >Anyway my point is, in the Star Wars Power rankings, Darth Maul has to be at least number two. Ill give Anakin number one for now because he supposadly kills almost all of the Jedi.

Dooku put down the chosen one without drawing a saber, basically walked right through Obi-Wan, and held his own against Yoda. And then there's that Asajj fight... So, I'd put him over Maul, but it's certainly open to debate (in another thread, on another forum ;) )

Funny; just as I was getting disappointed in the series they have the two best episodes right in a row. This is the kind of stuff I was waiting for when I first heard about the series! Nice to see Obi-Wan coming off like a badass for a change (that force-crush thing he did ruled).

I was just talking to someone about whether or not a Jedi could force-deflect a flamethrower... we agreed on "yes" but now the issue's settled. ;)

18. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    Oh brother. Star Wars is becoming Star Trek.

19. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    This was a very good episode. It always seems that when you get OB1 pissed watch out cause he can administer a fatal blow!

20. wintercom

wintercom Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    All I could think about when Durge picked up his speeder was that Simpsons episode where Homer and a hells angel fight each other with motorcycles. doh....

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I liked the little 'Neo' thing that Obi-Wan did...

22. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    I dont think they ever say in any Star Wars movies that Obi-Won is an exceptional Jedi, yet he seemed to take out Durge pretty quickly.

Try AOTC - Anakin to Padme in her apartment as the window is repaired:

"He's as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu. I'm truly lucky to be studying under him. But in some ways, a lot of ways, I'm really ahead of him."

From the "Chosen One" himself - he basically says Obi-Wan is the best Jedi out there, other than, of course, himself :)

23. Jake_Barnes

Jake_Barnes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2002
    Best. Episode. Ever.

24. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Obi-Wan Kenobi Rules! Who said he is not exceptional. Obi-wan is the friggin man!

Love it when the Troopers call him General.
    Loved him in a trooper uniform without the helmet (throwback to Luke and Han on the Death Star).
    Loved Obi-wan going ginsu on old Durge.

Durge laughing with a saber in the belly and his shields are pretty cool too.

I'm lovin it like McDonalds!

25. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    I'm lovin it like McDonalds!

please...just, don't.