main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Episode 8 (Obi-Wan vs. Durge) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dp4m, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Oh brother. Star Wars is becoming Star Trek.

?[face_plain]

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, to be fair AotCs introduced shapeshifters ;)

I believe he's referring to Durge.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I just saw Chapter 8 this morning. I had to tape it because I work nights but anyway. What's up with Obiwan pulling a Neo and stopping bullets? I thought the fight was cool but it seemed a little far-fetched with him deflecting bullets and fire with his hand. Other than that I enjoyed it. It's not my favorite chapter but it was good.

4. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Did you notice that Durge had to use every weapon he had to fight Obi-wan? He was no match for the Jedi Knight.

Mace should have used that deflect the fire with the force trick on Jango.

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    just saw Chapter 8 this morning. I had to tape it because I work nights but anyway. What's up with Obiwan pulling a Neo and stopping bullets? I thought the fight was cool but it seemed a little far-fetched with him deflecting bullets and fire with his hand.

As opposed to Vader deflecting blaster bolts with his hand?

6. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I thought this was the best yet. Just LOVED IT!!! Loved that Kenobi owned Durge.

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh brother. Star Wars is becoming Star Trek.

Would you like to explain why?

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Ha ha ha ha! I love people complaining about these awesome things and then pointing out something similar has happened before IN THE FILMS! :D [face_mischief]

9. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Saw it earlier.....I can't understand why things are boring/disappointing/annoying me but frankly any episode with Durge and Ventress has done that.

This one again, I just can't stand Durge, overhyped piece of trash.
    His Lancer Droids just seem silly, first they can destroy an AT-TE yet they get destroyed by Clone Lancers.....er [sarcasm]yeah right..... [face_plain]

Plus Durge not dying, granted it was obvious he had to live, but the way they created the character he has no real weak spot. I can foresee a lame "Oh he's allergic to garlic" type death [face_plain]

Glad this is the last episode he's in, just have to suffer Ventress for a couple of more (Go Anakin!).

Cool Episodes 4, Lame Episodes 4.

10. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    A great episode! The inclusion of jousting is someting that, to me, is very much Star Wars without it ever appearing in the movies. Well, think about it. There are so many things that alludes to the Middle Ages in both the PT and the OT so this was a cool inclusion.
    However, this episode was not without its flaws. Obi-Wan's Force Powers were perhaps a bit inflated. If Mace Windu (the second biggest bad*** in the Galaxy, SJL qoute) couldn't repel fire, how come Obi-Wan could?
    Well, that's just minor.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I still don't like the jousting idea. Technology doesn't regress, it advances. Jousting is definently an old age thing, and doesn't make logical sense.

12. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Swordfights are a thing of the past too, but they still happen in Star Wars, why can't jousting?

13. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I still don't like the jousting idea. Technology doesn't regress, it advances. Jousting is definently an old age thing, and doesn't make logical sense.

Lightsabers have been around for thousands of years and yet they've hardly advanced that much ;)

But seriously I agree with that, I dont like the jousting either.

14. Drath

Drath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 1998
    I like Ventress, but Durge isn't for me. He works though, I have no complaints about him. I liked this episode, but mostly for Obi Wan. In Toyfare one of the animators said Obi was the easiest to draw because of his heroic character and I think it shows (for the record, they said Anakin was the hardest because he has to be dark and frustrated while not entirely evil yet, and still have that "Tiger Beat" look).

I don't read the comics or play the games so I was surprised people here were complaining about Obi Wan's reaction to Durge surviving his death blow. I thought that raised eyebrow was a great touch, the best bit of character animation I've seen on Obi Wan yet, and it was very preferable to him not reacting at all or repeating the "not good" line. As a fan that's only watching the series, that was a highlight for me. I don't like that there only two left until next year!

There was something very "Akira" about that tentacle suddenly attacking the Clone Trooper in the Next Time Preview.

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Durge just sounded retarded... They messed him up a bit.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Wow, that was by far my favorite episode so far, eclipsing #3 and the last couple with Ventress. :D

I personally like the jousting - it makes sense (sort of) to defeat a highly mobile "cavalry" unit with one of your own.

What I mean is, the swoops could just, er... swoop around the tanks.

I really liked Durge's laugh - it seemed half alien and half robotic, which is apt. I thought if you gave him a "human" voice, it would be too much like one of the Fetts.

And I didn't think Obi-Wan's powers were too much. That's how I envisioned the Jedi fighting in the Clone Wars: using the Force all the time to assist them, rather than just deflecting stuff with their sabers.

Obi-Wan showed that Jedi can be deadly even without their lightsabers.

And I loved that crushing motion he used to crush the flamethrower. Marvelous.

17. EetH-KotH15

EetH-KotH15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2003
    Amazing.. Anybody else notice the music? I loved it.

18. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    You know...as far as action scenes go for all the films and the cartoon so far...THIS is probably rated as one of my all time favorite battles EVER. (durge vs obi-wan)

The way Durge just kept whipping out the weapons until it was a melee fight. How the lightsaber sticks in him and he just laughs....all of that is just AWESOME...very well done!

19. JediStu2

JediStu2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    Finally a fight sequence where Obi-Wan dominates! That was awesome! I kind of wish that Durge would just stay dead because it would seem a lot more real but whatever, it's Star Wars. LOL Bring on Asajj!

20. Max_Powers

Max_Powers Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2003
    Yeah I think the fight scene was fun for the same reason the Jango Fett/Obi-Won fight on the platform was good. Basically you have a jedi fighting a non jedi, and the non jedi has to pull every trick out of their bag to be able to compete, and they still cant dominate them. I have to say Jango put up a better fight but like I said before that had to do with their location. Kind of like, in Terminator 2, the only reason they were able to kill the T1000 was because they were in just the right spot.

Imagine if one of Durge's race became a Jedi? Do they ever say that for some races it is very rare for them to be able to become a Jedi? Or maybe they never do because their systems are not part of the republic so they never get drafted at an early age? It seems to me that the best Jedi would be ones whose natural capabilities already gave them an edge over the average alien/humanoid.

21. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I didn't like this episode very much. It would've been good but they have made Durge into a god. How is he going to be killed if his body can reconnect itself. I did like how Obi kicked the **** out of him though.

22. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Jedi or no Jedi, if you get punched in the face by a guy who can pick up an ATTE with a lance, you don't come away rubbing your chin. [face_mischief] Probably my favorite episode.

!snap

23. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Durge seems like an interesting character, but nothing exceptional!

24. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I disgree, I don't like Durge. I can't say that for sure since I've only seen him in two episodes of the cartoon - I haven't read the comics that he is in yet :(

Stupid Clone Wars #2 getting delayed :mad:

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I found Asajj Ventress really interesting... she was different and has a personality. I found Durge to be very bland and unimaginative, and so I hope he isn't setting the template for General Grievous.