main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion: Clone Wars Season 3 [Chapter 25] (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The_General_Grievous, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    And I guess that Obi-Wan was turning to the Dark Side when he splatted poor Durge's body all over the place?

2. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Impressive, most Impressive!!!

I was a little not so sure about this season until I took a sneak at epi 23 (which I missed) and this final episode online. WOW WOW WOW!

The final episode was incredible. That's all I can say, looks like it will tie in beautifully with RotS.

3. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    This will sound sort of Futurama-ish (Birdbot of Alcatraz) but I think the Mutants could see the hate that Anakin had while destroying the TU guys. It wasn't like killing them was bad but he really was doing it in a manner of hate and gore and that's what stunned the mutants, his anger.

Leela would say that you shouldn't enjoy killing them even if you have to haha.

4. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    I just watched 25. Anakin's story in it was wonderful. My list of favorite chapters:
    1:Chapter 23
    2:Chapter 25
    3:Chapter 24
    4:Chapter 21
    5:Chapter 22

5. Peter_Skywalker

Peter_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    OMG What an episode!!!!!!! Anakin was awesome in this episode.

GG is wicked with the four Lightsabers.

Mace Windu & Yoda are wicked with the Force.(They are really powerful.)

So that's how Anakin get's the "New robotic arm" (and I could have sworn that the creature's Anakin helped, called him "Lord Vader" when he stood up on the hill, with his "Old robotic broken arm" .

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Impresssibe, most impressive. They hinted DV so much in the final hour of Clone Wars. GG is such a better character since debuting in Chapter 20.

This chapter, dragged a bit, but the last scene is absolutely perfect.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Very well down chapter. I really like the way Anakin and Obi Wan have been written together in this last chapter. Amazingly at how more at ease they are around each other now that the tension of Anakin's personal frustration over his knighthood is gone. Sad to think how quickly it'll end by the next movie. Agreed that these last two eps have had great DV images, the scrolling cave vision being my favorite thus far. (Oho, George Lucas, your wily attempts at massive foreshadowing do not elude me!)

BTW, does anyone know what Anakin has on his broken arm in the campfire scene?

On Anakin killing the TU scientist:

It's not so much a Jedi killing that's the problem as much as it's how the individual goes about it. Anakin acted out of hate and rage rather than defense - and was he really acting out of his grief *for* the Nelvaan warriors, or was it his own selfish anger over the loss of his arm? And he obviously lost all semblance of self-control at that point. The fact that the Techno Union was retreating also doesn't particularly play well...a Jedi uses the force for defense, never attack, blah, blah, blah.

Still, I think the Nelvaan obviously were thankful of Anakin's actions - I doubt they spared any lingering sympathy for the scientist Anakin killed. I think they were more shocked by the visciousness of Anakin's actions against an enemy that was more or less defenseless. They still considered him a savior, though, else there wouldn't have been the chanting. (Anyone got a possible translation for what they were saying, btw?)

8. ZoolInc

ZoolInc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    did anyone else hear "Lord Vader" when the men were chanting to Anakin??

9. Kench

Kench Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    I loved the whole thing...I need to pick up the books though. I was interested to see how Anakin got the scar over his eye...but...well...so much for that.

They cover it in the books, I assume?

Also, how much of the Clone Wars series was covered in the books?

Edit: Oh, and they were chanting...whatever their word is for him (Ghost hand). Just went back to check it out at Cartoonnetwork.com (Their first one DID sound a lot like lord vader though...)

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>They cover it in the books, I assume? <<

The scar occurs in the comics actually, in Republic #71, which will be collected in Clone Wars Volume 6 in June.

>>Also, how much of the Clone Wars series was covered in the books? <<

The majority of the stories available occur during the first 8 months of the war, the span of 15-17 months into the war and the final 6 months of war, though there are stories occuring inbetween, just not in as high a concentration.

11. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    They were chantting their words for "Ghost Hand:" "Hoat Kazette." Allthough dependind on how you listen to them, it can sound like they're chantting "Lord Kazette!" I have yet to hear a "Vader" in there...

12. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    heres my favirote episodes in order

13. Kaimonx

Kaimonx Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    I found Anakin's murder of the Techno Union members stunning. They were all retreating back onto the ship, they posed no further threat. Certainly, they were still holding those bubble-blowing guns, but they were still leaving. Then there was the choking of that one guy, which was shockingly graphic (not blood and guts wise, but more in how violent it looked). It seems that Anakin is not inherently evil, but he is tempted to do evil things when he becomes overly passionate. There was the Tusken slaughter, of course, and then this episode. As was mentioned before in this thread, Anakin likely related the plight of the Nelvaan to his own slavery; in a way he was finishing his promise to free all of the slaves. But in doing so, he allowed his anger against the wrongdoers to overtake him. I imagine this will likely continue in Episode III, a particular issue he feels passionate about will drive him over the edge. I won't say what, but, heh, suffice it to say it won't be intergalactic politics.

14. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Yes the whole Nevlan episode is a microcosim for Anakin and a wealth of forshadowing.

Don't overlook that Anakin regrets his actions at the end of the Episode, and don't overlook the fact that it is the son of that warrior that welcomes the father home... symbolic after such violence yes?

I really like the last shot of Anakin with his cloak fluttering all Vader like as he takes command.

15. Kaimonx

Kaimonx Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    He does regret his actions, but as we saw from the Tuskens, he does not learn from them.

16. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

i enjoyed Chap. 25.

And, like the producers said, it really does lead right into Ep. III, as the ending implies.

17. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::Anyone got a possible translation for what they were saying, btw?

Yes.

They were chanting "Hokazet"(sp?), or "Ghost Hand"

Duh... lol

18. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::Certainly, they were still holding those bubble-blowing guns, but they were still leaving. Then there was the choking of that one guy, which was shockingly graphic (not blood and guts wise, but more in how violent it looked)

Remember. however, that the soon-to-be-decompressed TU guy had a BLASTER, and was GOING to shoot Anakin - even though it was a pathetic "bubble blower," as you say.

"I will defend myself!"

It was self defense, not Vaderism.

...unless it was Vaderism.

<confounded>

19. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    :::Certainly, they were still holding those bubble-blowing guns, but they were still leaving. Then there was the choking of that one guy, which was shockingly graphic (not blood and guts wise, but more in how violent it looked)

Remember. however, that the soon-to-be-decompressed TU guy had a BLASTER, and was GOING to shoot Anakin - even though it was a pathetic "bubble blower," as you say.

"I will defend myself!"

It was self defense, not Vaderism.

...unless it was Vaderism.

<confounded>

I gotta say that I don't think that Anakin was concerned about self-defense and that he was murdering those guys rather than protecting himself. Even if he was using self-defense, actual defense (lightsaber blocking, force shielding) would have been a more reasonable approach.

20. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Hopewellone, you forgot to mention that Mace Windu nearly kills Grievous before he leaves coruscant.

"Leave it!"

21. GhostHand

GhostHand Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    BTW, does anyone know what Anakin has on his broken arm in the campfire scene?

It was a tradition Nevlaan wrap/blanket, just like the warriors were wearing on their appendages.

22. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I wasn't crazy about the whole 'Ghost Hand' arch, thought it was pretty tame, a little soggy... but the part where he puts his artificial hand in the sphere, causing it to break down was pretty cool. The events on Coruscant take the spotlight of course. Excellent stuff. Shaak Ti, Mace, Yoda, Grievous... They all came out stronger characters than before because of these five chapters. Even Palpidious... You just can't help but love the guy. So deliciously wicked.

I like how the ending graphically ties in to the beginning of ROTS. I could just close my eyes and see Anakin and Obi-Wan dropping out of hyperspace and entering the battle. Can't wait 'till May 18'th... These cartoons certainly make the waiting all the more unbearable.

23. Kad

Kad Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    Anakin killing the TU scientist was pretty graphic, indeed. It was a very good episode, so much foreshadowing throughout this whole season for the movie (..Mace falling down through the city, Grievous' chest being crushed, etc. etc..). But I'm glad we saw more Skakoans and Wat Tambor again.

24. Kench

Kench Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    I woudn't say Anakin was acing in self defense....look at the difference in the expression on his face between his fight against the Nevlan warriors and the TU...against the warriors, it was more of a deternimed "I can't let them kill me" thing (and, you'll notice, he didn't kill any of them, even before the one that wasn't controlled got out)...while later, there was a look fo pure hate of his face.

25. Obi_One_Kenodi

Obi_One_Kenodi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2004
    Well, that sucked. Hey, guys, how about reading the actual book before doing an adaption of it? At least its stated in stone that LoE is the definitive lead in to III.

Horrible, absolutely horrible. I never really cared about continuity before but this is abysmal work. The continuity editors should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.

After James Luceno and George Lucas put so much work into LoE you'd think the editors of this series would try to make it fit in.

Finally, someone who agrees with me! While there were many very good parts of Clone Wars, a lot was ruined by the confliction with LoE.

In some ways, this new season of Clone Wars suffers from some of the same problems that the first one did. First off is the plot. While the first two seasons suffered from the absolute lack of plot, this one just suffers from bad ones. First off is the Anakin and Obi One quest thingy. Not only was it slow moving, rushed, and just plain boring, it was in direct violation of LoE. I would have loved it to have seen Anakin and Obi One have the same quest as seen in LoE. Although LoE can't touch The Cestus Deception or Shatterpoint, (and nothing can touch the Thrawn Trilogy) it was still an entertaining book, and the Anakin and Obi One section could have been put to brilliant use in the series.

Then there was the battle of Courasant. In some ways, this part was incredibly cool. The biggest problem is that its almost completely different than what Luceno showed us in Labyrinth. As much as I wanted to go "oh wow, cool!" when the curtains behind Yoda opened and the Separatist fleet came in, all I could think of was: "What the heck, thats not what happened in Labyrinth!" And plus, Labyrinth did it better.

I don't want to come off as a complete basher, though. I loved the parts with Shaak Ti. Those were filled with some great over the top coriagrophy and graphical style. What I would have loved would have been to have in chapter 24, Ti orders Palpatine and the other two Jedi unto the train and stays behind to fend of Grevious's guards in a fight that would basically mirror chapter 25's fight. Then we could still have the awesome Grevious vs Mace and Fisto vs Guards on top the train from LoE.

Overall, what saved Clone Wars was its unique graphical style, and great action. Just as in the first two seasons, there were numerous occasions when you had to suspend disbelieve. Sometimes a little, and sometimes (most of the time, really) a lot. But when this is successfully done, you can enjoy yourself a fair bit. What I wanted to see more of was more of what happened in chapter 21. Cool scenes like the opening action scenes and Anakins knighting. And of course, no LoE conflicts.

Overall season rating: 6.5/10