main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion: Clone Wars Season 3 [Chapter 25] (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The_General_Grievous, Mar 24, 2005.

1. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    when are they going to show them again?

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Very good points, but let me tell you that the clone wars was not as good as some of you think it is. Why? One thing is for certain, the comic books at Dark Horse are the ones that properly carried the mantle. Yes, visual is more important than words, especially more so with the star wars movies. They translate better in picture. Whether moving or not-moving. The cartoons were awesome, many people liked them, but some very die-hard fans that believe that eu/continuity is the law, don't. The novels for me and some people didn't add up. Yeah the Shatterpoint book was good, but they failed to cover the clone wars like they did with the NJO. You can have characterization in the written word, but all that military equipment that was availabe from E-2 was not properly used in the novels, with the exception of Shatterpoint. The clone wars is a military campaign, the clone wars novels didn't cover it like that. For that one reason, I loved the NJO novels. They did cover war, but not just any type of war, star wars. This also why the Jedi Trial novel did not jive, becasue the guys that wrote the book are good at military science fiction but didn't convey the star wars type warfare.

Maybe it is more my dissapointment than anything else, but I truly thought that the Clone Wars was going to be covered in book form like the three Halo novels. Those were fantastic!

Another point that I wanted to bring, is that at least in the NJO. They had the novels as the main storyline, and a couple of e-books (no biggie, since they were released with the paperback version with the exception of Yelsia. Not yet released), with two or three stories in the Star Wars Gamer and Insider, and the comic book titles "Chewbacca" from Dark Horse comics and a short story with Kyle Katran in Tales #21.That was it. The 19 books covered 98% of everything. No competition. In the clone wars campagin, you have the comic books, the novels, children books,short stories from the Insider magazines, video games, cartoons, and the Wizard of the Coast Ultimate Missions book RPG type thing. Though they are good together, what has happended more so from us the fans, we started comparing them as to which ones are more official, better, stronger, accepted. You name it. Instead of being looked at as a streamline of stories, they've become competition to each other, and to add that not everyone reads or looks at every one of the above mentioned. The latter is the one that has hurt it more, becasue some people just watch the cartoons and say, okay thats not bad, others just read the novel and say, Damn, not a lot of action, others just read the comic books and say, Not bad. Then you have the combo groupies, the read both the novels and comic books, and say, That is the way the Clone wars are. Then you have those who play the video games, watch the toons, and read the comics and say, Star Wars belongs there in this format. You know the rest. No consistency between the different formats. From a marketing point of view is great, but from a fan point of view. It is not that great.

In that aspect the NJO was succesful. It had problems, but as sermmuy (Sue Rostoni) at the OS stated, that the success of the NJO series propelled them to make another extended storyling with the main OT characters, but not as long as the 19 books of the NJO series. Yes, they had some problems, but the books were a commercial and retail success. In other words, it met the bottom line, it was also liked by many fans. Not by everyone, but by a lot of them. I hope that they do a better job with the E-3 to E-4 era.

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    While you have some valid points there vong, I can't help feel they'd be more valid in the Lit forum. You've given a good overall critique on the Clone Wars novels and graphic-novels, and on the NJO.

But neither of these affects the artistic or commercial success of the Clone Wars cartoons. I still like 'em. And I know a lot of other people in here do, too. :)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Absolutely, so do I! But, some of the problems has been in my opinion becuase of competiton. I love star wars no matter what, and I hope it continues.

5. Drew_Antkowiak

Drew_Antkowiak Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Well, I would like to say that I personally consider the Clone Wars cartoons as semi-canon, because we all have to realize, not all fans read every single novelization that comes out that is supposed to bridge the gap between episodes II and III. Personally, I havent read any prequel novels except for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The beauty of Clone Wars is that it allows a somewhat casual star wars fanatic to catch a glimpse of what could be considered to have truly happened in the clone wars "gap" between episodes. I am not coming here and claiming the animated series to be better than the books or comics, just saying it is much more accessable and will most likely be considered the most "legal" or canon add-on to the film saga by the average fan.

in regards to episode 25, I was wondering if anyone could please post a screenshot near the end where we first see Anakin's gauntlet that he wears throughout Episode III. I want to draw some ROTS characters and want a really accurate picture of the glove.

6. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    Another point that I wanted to bring, is that at least in the NJO. They had the novels as the main storyline, and a couple of e-books (no biggie, since they were released with the paperback version with the exception of Yelsia. Not yet released), with two or three stories in the Star Wars Gamer and Insider, and the comic book titles "Chewbacca" from Dark Horse comics and a short story with Kyle Katran in Tales #21.That was it. The 19 books covered 98% of everything. No competition. In the clone wars campagin, you have the comic books, the novels, children books,short stories from the Insider magazines, video games, cartoons, and the Wizard of the Coast Ultimate Missions book RPG type thing.
    Some would see diversity as a virtue, not a vice. From my perspective, the very thing that's giving me pause to enter the world of Post-ROTJ continuity is the very fact that it's dominated by a singular book-driven logic that I'm having a hard time accepting (though my study of the period is still in its infancy). The immediately appealing thing about the PT-era EU is precisely that all aspects of the conflict, political and military, personal and public, Jedi/Republic and Sith/CIS/Republic, visual and written, interactive and passive--all are available to sample. It's rather like the OT-era for me, but writ large. It's a big, messy playground.

Of course, the story of the PT really is much bigger and multifaceted, anyway--at least until GL (or LucasFilms, in his absence), gives us cause to believe otherwise. It's wrong, I think, to assume that the plethora of different media has to do with simple marketing madness, and much more to do with the fact that the central storyline of the era allows for it. Compare it to American history. To the extent that anyone remembers their American history classes, what does the average American know more about? The build-up to and prosecution of the Revolutionary War, or the Washington and Adams presidencies? The rise and fall of Abraham Lincoln or the Presidencies of Grant, Harrison and Hayes?

Until we can be given a definitive, moving picture version of the "sequel" period, that has equal weight to the original two trilogies, you're really comparing apples and oranges. The problem for Lucas (and company) is that the subject matter isn't as compelling, and the only plausible way of telling it without destroying what's already been written, is to skip over the EU entirely and set the thing 30+ years from Endor. Neither option really gives the current post-ROTJ EU the same "weight" that the prequel or intra/inter-triology eras have. So, really, the current "sequel" EU is pretty much always going to be on unequal footing. Certainly, no era of the EU is quite so vulnerable to being completely written out of canon. The thing about these prequel-era stories is that at least they have a share of the claim to legitimacy--which is perhaps better than the tenuous and perhaps temporary status that the post-ROTJ era realistically has. Ironically, fans of the post-ROTJ period are in the uneviable position of wanting more filmed STAR WARS but hoping that it doesn't swim in their lanes in the pool.