main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    What's its current status in terms of canonicity? From what I've heard, it is confirmed that only what's on screen (Ep. I-VI, TCW) is canon, along with whatever comes next, which includes Rebels, Ep. VII-IX, and the spin-off movies. I've also heard that the Dark Horse comics are going to get extinct in a while, along with every EU merchandise. And he upcoming novels that are set post-RotJ are on-hold for the moment.

So, what's exactly the status of the EU? Am I correct in what I said? What have I missed? And what does the involvement of the Story Group in TOR means?

BARDAN EDIT: Merging with the existing thread on this.

I heard that the relaunched series covers the latest Star Wars canon. Does it include anything from the EU? If yes, then which works?

2. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    Sorry for double posting, but I can't edit my above post. In the last part of my post, I'm referring to the Star Wars Fact File.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Star Wars Fact File includes material from Shadows of the Empire, and The Force Unleashed. There's a passing reference to "The Bounty Hunter Wars" in the timeline that was included with the first issue, as well.

DBZGTKOSDH likes this.
  4. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    So, going by FF, the current canon includes (not including stuff that haven't been released yet) the 6 movies, The Clone Wars TV series, Shadows of the Empire, The Force Unleashed, and The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, right? Would that include the sequels of Shadows of the Empire & The Force Unleashed respectively?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy jumps back and forth between that period and late in RoTJ.

The article on Anakin Skywalker (issue 11) references a lot of events from the Clone Wars Multimedia Project (comics, novels, TV series) etc - that were written before the TCW series.

We don't know for sure that the Fact File will continue being valid into the Disney era - it may be "the last of the old EU" rather than "the first of the new".

As to Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, and TFU2 - I don't know yet if either have been referenced- I've only read a couple of the issues.

I do know however that the timeline ends in 4 ABY (RoTJ).

DBZGTKOSDH likes this.
  6. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    I see, thanks for the info. :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Brookstone

Brookstone Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    Wondering if its possible to send a bill to Lucas books for all the stuff I have read that doesn't exist

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What about all of the wasted paper, time, and potential with the post-NJO?

Davak24 likes this.
  9. Brookstone

Brookstone Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    Can't help you there, but simple fact is GL left his post and when he came back he did it in the wrong way imo

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Darth Marvel: At last we will reveal ourselves to Dark Horse comic. At last we will have revenge.

11. TheLastMandal0rian

TheLastMandal0rian Jedi Padawan

Mar 24, 2014
    Has anyone talked about boycotting the new EU if the changes come out to be not to our liking? seeing as how their are over a million followers of the EU section of this forum I have to think we hold a pretty big vote. If we can get enough people together to not by the new books or sign a petition to allow certain older ones to be added to the EU Disney would take notice of that many people.

*of course this is all theoretical assuming they do something rash and stomp out even the Thrawn trilogy (which would be sacrilegious IMO) or produce new books that are complete garbage.

12. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    The Thrawn Trilogy was made so that it can fit with Episodes VII-IX if they were to be made back in the day, and since Ep. VII will be set 30 years after Ep. VI, it may be saved.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Where do we stand with regards to the Mortis stuff, is that part of the TCW stuff that's elevated on a par with the movies? The Mortis stuff sounds rubbish IMHO, the GFFA should not have a God.

I like Sith Sorcery, and the different applications of the Force, but Mortis just killed it for me.

14. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I don't see how the Bane and Plagueis novels can be retconned. They explain events too much and take nothing away from the new trilogy.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  15. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    TCW series on the same level of canon as the films. GL was heavily involved with the series and the stories it told and that makes Mortis part of the official fabric of SW. People can interpret the Mortis arc in many different ways and it leaves it open for discussion than to state outright what is what and if they are gods. Also keep in mind that there are many cultures in the GFFA and a lot do worship some deity.

Regarding TFU level of canon:

Source

I hope that clears a few things up.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is not the Bane stories the once that retcon the explanation we are given in tPM (novelization) to how the jedi know about the Role of Two?

purplerain likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Episode VII is set thirty years after Endor - 34 ABY. This makes it quite likely that the Dark Nest Trilogy, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi novels are gone. How it impacts on the Legacy comics I could not guess.

And as to Korriban and Moriband... It was renamed by Xim too and nobody cared. It's a world of multiple names. The episode guide says this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm actually hoping to see two universes: one for episodes 7-9 and one that reboots from the end of NJO.
    There was a time when Naga Sadow was in rebellion against Marka Ragnos and Ajunta Pall was alive in 25,000 BBY, so Korriban/Moraband is nothing.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suspect we'll get an elaborate Retcon to sort things.

Sith history has been muddied many times before, exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

purplerain likes this.
  20. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I do wonder if Disney will decanonize pre-ROTJ material that is unpopular, obscure, or complicates things.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I wonder if there's a few people sat in a room reading through the different things when, suddenly, coffee sprays up the wall in one corner and the source of the spray calls everyone over.

"This is a real doozy, we've gotta get rid of this one. So... right, It's a gun and... when you shoot someone with it they do everything you say! Han's just used it on Leia!" *tosses book in the bin*

22. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002

But of those cultures in the GFFA that worship a Deity, how many actually exist?

Thanks for your clarification btw :)

23. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    You're welcome :)

To give an hypothesis… as far as I know it is unknown... especially when advance technology/abilities could be considered magic to those that do not understand. The abilities of the ones in Mortis could be from advance cognitive abilities from using more than 90% of their brain power, mixed with who knows what genetic information that lies in their DNA.

24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    What I have heard is that some parts of the EU are not considered parts of Canon. TFU games are two examples of things that aren't considered Canon.

BUT from what I have read and understand they are going to use material from the EU. Names could be changed or the names could be the same but the back round could be changed. Events might pan out slightly differently.

In the end the EU could be rendered completely non canon. But things might stay but be different.

25. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    Agreed. I'm organizing it like this for myself: if Disney keeps most (if not all) of the current EU, it will be one universe in my mind. If they throw out any bits of the EU I happen to like, I will view it as two equally canon universes ;)
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.