main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I said this on the SuperHero Hype boards: the only way having Sue and Johnny as full-blood siblings would work with that cast is if their parents were shown to also be different ethnicities. The only other option would be if one or both were adopted.

My main concern whenever a character's ethnicity is changed has to do with faithfulness to the books, and/or the story being told by the film. Michael Clarke Duncan was a great Kingpin, even though his literary counterpart was white. That version of the character was an inner-city enforcer for the New York mobs on the 1980s...and like it or not, most of them in that time probably weren't white. If it directly relates to the story being told, fine...but so many times, that's not the case. So many other characters who already have a particular skin tone still haven't been adapted to film yet, so why change an established character instead of using one that already fits your target demographic?

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The previous two incarnations (not counting Corman's since that would've won a boatload of Oscars if it was released obviously) sucked, so Fox should just sell back the property to the people who aren't sniffing glue.

3. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    If Marvel were to make their own F4 movie now, I'd love to see Garrett Hedlund as Johnny, and Diane Kruger as Sue.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You're right, this kind of change would only make sense if Fox's options regards to the characters they can use were extremely limited and one of the overarching themes of the franchise in question was that family is about what you feel, rather than what you look like.

OH WAIT.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    get those black people outta ma fantastic fore movie y'all[face_flag]

6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    He likely won't stay skinny post-transformation, you know. There's a good chance he'll be entirely replaced by CG after. He might do motion-capture then on out, or maybe just voice-over.

Lol, I first read this in Ebonics.

7. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    The theme of family is a great narrative...but I highly doubt the Fox execs had that on their minds when they cast all these actors. Michael B. Jordan looks much older than Kate Mara, while Sue's supposed to be older than Johnny by at least 5 years. Jamie Bell and Miles Teller are way too young for either Reed or Ben, who the comics have always depicted as being in their 40s.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm okay with it as long as we see her wrestle a lion naked.

9. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Ben Grimm's not supposed to be a weed like Peter Parker before he gets turned into the Thing. He's always been a big strong guy. This is what Ultimate Ben Grimm looks like before the accident.
    [​IMG]

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it's sad we keep rehashing the same things over and over. I'm burned out on most reboots/reimages. About the only one I care at all about is X-Men.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I dunno how to tell folks this, but Jessica Alba's of Mexican and Danish descent and Chris Evans is of Irish and Italian descent. Also, Reed Richards was played by a Welshman.

Dingo likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    1. I have read hundreds of issue of Fantastic Four and I really do not need clarification on their relative ages in 616.
    2. They're all fairly young in Ultimate.
    3. Literally nothing you pointed out contradicts my point in any way.

Dingo and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes, that was a bit of a stretch.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it's important to not get bent out of shape about these things. Flexibility is key.

Darth_Invidious and Penguinator like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    NEW BEN GRIMM ISN'T JEWISH SO BLACK > JEWISH!!!!!

rawrawrawrarwarwarwarwrawrarrr

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Jaime Bell will gain hundreds and hundreds of pounds for the role?

17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Anyone actually like the original or the second one? I did as it was one of the first marvel films I ever saw properly. I don't count the Hulk film and the raimi spiderman as films because they were awful!
    @Penguinator Alba's Mexican? oh dear.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Eli Roth or Adam Driver would have been better choices for Ben; I'm struggling to think of a good reason to pick Bell, other than CGI experience. He's not a bad actor, but he's not impressive either.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, the casting is certainly interesting to say the least.

I hope above all things that Doom is done well, Doom is at the very top of great comic book villainy & could be for Fox what Loki is to Marvel.

Part of me hopes this doesn't work out so that the franchise reverts back to Disney who can then add to the MCU, Doom would be a great Avengers villain.
    But I also don't want to see a terrible movie that ruins decent source material because it tarnishes the franchise.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I'm still hoping this falls apart and the rights revert back to Marvel, it's not too late yet.

beezel26 and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  21. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I liked the first one, but it was far from great. At the time, Ioan Gruffudd was too young for Reed, but he'd probably do a good job now. Jessica Alba was terrible choice for Sue, though she had some good chemistry with Ioan. Julian McMahon was a little too cheesy as Doom, but Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis knocked their characters out of the park. In fact, it was Evans' role as Johnny Storm that made me nervous when he was hired for Captain America, because I wasn't sure he could do both. But he's great as Cap.

The second was a trainwreck. Doug Jones and Laurence Fishburne did good work for the Silver Surfer, and having Chris & Michael back was cool. But the writers turned Reed into a schemer who preferred to hide his work from Sue after promising her he'd quit, and Sue herself was turned into a manipulative radical feminist who pulled the passive-aggressive crap on Reed for dancing with a couple of girls at a party Johnny came up with. Finally, the best ending they came up with was having Johnny absorb everyone's powers and punch Doom to smithereens...really?!

22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I liked the first one for what it was, yeah it was cheesy at points but it was decent. Second was terrible...

I don't care whether Marvel is doing this or Fox I just want a decent movie! They proved they can do it with First Class they just need to have a game plan with the right director, cast and writer.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    As I recall, Sue Storm was pretty understanding of Reed in the second movie, if a bit disappointed.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's been a while since I've watched either but I'm of the opposite opinion. I found Julian McMahon's Doom to be the absolute worst part of both movies but he was slightly better in the 2nd. Silver Surfer was great but the Galactus cloud reeked of executive interference. Neither movie was the FF movie I wanted, but the 2nd one was closer.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  25. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Yeah, for about two seconds...until she counter-punched him with that "my party was better" crap. Plus, she later forces Reed to listen to her with her powers, trapping him between invisible shields like a damn puppet.