main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL! Fellowship of the Ring DVD news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Beckymonster, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    See???

I knew Arun'd come clean one day ;)

I aint buying the DVD until the SE comes out.

If you buy both versions then you're just stupid!

2. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    I'm a Star wars fan...you get used to it...

3. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    You do realise the some of the picture and sound quality of films (compared to their theatrical look/sound) is lost to get them on DVD already?

But Becky is right, it would all depend on the quality if we decided how many DVDs to stretch it over. We've had single media films for a LONG time now, and are unused to splitting! In the US, Titanic, Branagh's Hamlet etc were on two tapes, whereas here we had just one.

4. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    To fit the film on anything less than 2 discs would be suicide. Well not really, but a film crying out for a decent DVD release as this needs to be odne correctly.

It doesn't say, but I'm guessing that aspect ratio will be anamorphic 2.35:1, and it's also coming in 5.1 Ex (a centralised rear channel added). Another film I can think of is Godfather part 2. Like that, they could have easily fitted teh whole film on 1 disc, but they spread it over 2 so they could keep the bitrate high.

No DTS soundtrack though :_|

5. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    it wasn't filmed in 2.35:1...it was 16.9 or something...i remember the screen didn't extended when I saw it at the cinema

6. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    waaaaaaaaaaa

techy stuff

head exploding...

waaaaaaaaaaaaa

7. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Sorry Arun, you're right (or kinda)... it was filmed 1.85:1 [face_blush] I wasn't quite sure, so I just guessed 2.35:1... though now I come to think of it, I knew what it's OAR was. D'oh!

8. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Yes you did...

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    //looks at Henry on the desk next to me.

nahhhhhhhh, can't be //shakes head

anyway, And, you could always buy it from OZ. They'll have DTS won't they?

10. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    WTF is henry?

11. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    Well, according to you, you are. :p

12. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Is the other an imposter?

13. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    oh nevermind.

14. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Have I killed your joke?

15. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    yes.

but one of my jokes going down the pan wouldn't exactly be a front page shocker.

16. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    It is unlikely that Oz will have DTS - I can't be arsed to go back and check but I'm sure they're for the R1 release, and it is unlikely that they will have DTS if the R1 doesn't.

Saying that, the R1 Mummy Returns didn't have DTS while the R4 did

17. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Confusion!

Apparently it IS in 2.35:1 anamorphic

Bizarre!

18. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Some more interesting news here...

More news from thedigitalbits...

We're getting a lot of e-mails from readers asking if the special features set to be included on the theatrical edition of The Fellowship of the Ring (due on 8/6) will be repeated on the special extended version (following on 11/12). The answer is no. The documentaries and web featurettes are being included on the theatrical edition because a lot of fans have requested them. But since the special extended version includes an entirely new cut of the film, everything that will be included on that later edition is being custom created specifically for that release, for a more adult audience and to go MUCH deeper into the making of the film trilogy than what was seen in any of the TV specials. The idea is that most DVD consumers will be satisfied with the theatrical edition, while more sophisticated fans will wait for the extended edition. The most diehard fans will probably want both, as they perfectly complement each other but do not overlap.

Also, just to clarify, each DVD version includes a SEPARATE edit of the film. The 4-disc special extended set DOES NOT include the theatrical cut of the film on a separate disc or via seamless branching. If you want the theatrical cut, you have to buy the August 2-disc set. If you want the longer cut, you buy the November 4-disc edition. If you want both, save your money accordingly and buy both. Some people may feel that this is an effort to milk consumers, but I don't think so at all. In order to include everything you'll be getting on both editions, New Line would have to create a single 6-disc release, which would be WAY too expensive for most consumers to even consider. This way, they can have DVD purchase options for everyone. And by not having any overlap between the two editions, fans who buy both are absolutely getting the most for their money. Just think... over eight hours of unique special edition material alone on these two releases, not including the films themselves! If you're a fan, I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

19. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    Some people may feel that this is an effort to milk consumers, but I don't think so at all.

If who ever write this told it how it was.

Everybody knows that this is to milk the customers, I know it is. Thats why we are releasing the SUPER DUPER buddle alot later so the "real" fans cant wait that long and will satisfy themselves with the smaller DVD set till the more expensive one with added features comes out. And stupidly buy both versions, making me a mint!

20. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Perhaps so... but NOTHING on the 2 disc set will be appearing on the 4 disc set and vice versa. If you want everything (both cuts and ALL extras) you'll have to get both sets. So it's up to you which one you want if you can't/won't get both.

More titbits...

The role of Faramir in TTT will be expanded on from the book.

The encounter with Shelob the spider has been moved to the start of RotK.

The Scouring of the Shire (foretold in FotR when Frodo peers into Galadriel's pool) will not appear at the end of RotK.

21. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Didn't I say that Jackson was becoming the new Lucas? ;) What a scam, though not completely unexpected.

Now we'll wait and see how much of the complete 8 hours of extras are necessary

22. CPT_PhAtMaN

CPT_PhAtMaN Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    i dont mean to intrude, but there r multi layed DVDs out now, which would mean u could get the whole film on one disc with very little cut, the only thing would be that all the extras would have to be placed on a separate disc

23. CPT_PhAtMaN

CPT_PhAtMaN Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2002
    im buyin the 4 disc one too :)
    That should keep me occupied till the release of the Two Towers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.