main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Alan Tudyk (K-2SO) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darkslayer, Aug 15, 2015.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes. And IMO, it was a huge mistake. ROTS is the absolute worst-designed Star Wars film in the saga. Not least because of the dominance of Ryan Church and his hideous style, and the absence of Chiang.

TPM is the best-designed prequel, IMO, and that's primarily due to Chiang's influence. And despite the contentio of some in fandom who don't understand design at all, Chiang's work is much closer to the McQuarrie style than what we saw in ROTS. The problem is that a lot of people think the design differences between the OT and PT amount only to "sleek and shiny" vs. "angular and gritty." Which is a fundamental misunderstanding of the design landscape of the films.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Ah, OK, we have some crossed wires here. Forgive me but I have to leave this conversation thread here.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Ah, OK. I suppose I missed some history on why Chiang wasn't asked back for ROTS?

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'm confused as well. I couldn't find anything. Couldn't have been that bad if he came back from TFA and Rogue One.

5. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Looks like a bigger version of the droid that helped Bane infiltrate Jedi Temple in TCW ;)

6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    My biggst concern is if Alan Tudyk's funny voice will fit the design of K-250. Maybe they will tweak it a bit?

7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

I'm not saying this is exactly what happen, but if I recall from my Internet surfing days of over a decade ago (lol), shortly after TPM, Chiang decided to pursue his own projects. He founded a studio, worked on several animated shorts, and was in development of some film projects, ultimately which never materialized. I believe this was the primary reason that he wasn't involved with ROTS, and involved less in AOTC than he was for TPM.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That is what I found as well. CrazyOldJedi made it seem more nefarious than that, but maybe that's what he meant by wires crossed and he was talking about something else.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah. Crazy seemed to be hinting at a more dramatic rationale for his departure, and I don't remember anything like that at the time.

10. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    Comedy relief or cold-blooded killer? Maybe he'll be what Mr. Bones should've.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I made this photo my desktop wallpaper!!!!!!!!!

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm surprised no one has pointed out how similar the design is to the Iron Giant?

[​IMG]

13. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Lol... ROTS the worst designed SW Movie? You have some pure taste JabbatheHumanBeing.
    Chiang is the worst Concept Artist out there he just doesn't get SW, best Prove are TPM and AOTC and all of there cheezy designs.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I think you don't understand that good Star Wars design is about more than just "shiny vs. gritty." It's more about simple and iconic shapes and forms. In this context, Chiang is the only Star Wars concept artists that I think fully understands the DNA coding of the McQuarrie/ Johnston partnership.

The following two images, for example, tell me that Chiang is vastly superior conceptual artist to Church and his ilk. Particularly as it related to capturing that elusive Star Wars aesthetic. The first image shows a villain (original concept my McCaig) and his vehicle (Chiang) that have iconic silhouettes, as defined by basic shapes and lines. Edited down to their essence. The latter shows a villain and his vehicle that are just...a mess of overcooked, overwrought design concepts. No editing whatsoever. Like bad video game designs from third rate video game companies. Or like the first draft of a student art project. Chiang wipes the floor with Church and the ROTS team.

Chiang:

[​IMG]

Church:

[​IMG]

And I don't think you'd get much disagreement from great designers in the field. Chiang is on another level.

That said, I think Chiang is at his best when designing vehicles and structures, not characters. But IMO, the Star Wars aesthetic is driven primarily by its vehicles, structures and locations.

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
  17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Not to mention we were trying to figure out how they were going to shorten K-250. Seems like it is easier to do it this way.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Do you think K-2SO is certain enough to update the title again?

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    For now I think it's fine if it stays K-250. If something more solid proves that it's K-2S0 we can change it then.

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

OK, it's fine for now, thanks. We think it's a letter O at the end not a zero BTW.

21. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I agree that Chiang is superior to the ROTS art team, but in the end I think the final products (TPM, AOTC, ROTS) land on an equal level of design. Concept art in all it's glory, but for me it's the actual designs in the films that matters in the end when making comparisons.

For instance, I loved the Utapau architecture.

[​IMG]

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Agree to disagree. That shot is very illustrative of Church's cluttered, busy style, which feels a million light years away from what I consider to be Star Warsian. It looks like an OTT environment in a bad video game. I can imagine Church saying: "Oh, it would be cool to create a sense of dread by having landing platform structures that are, like, big skeletons!" I appreciate that some enjoy Church's "throw everything but the kitchen sink at the screen" style, but for me, it is one of the main reasons why I have difficulty watching ROTS.

Though at least we agree that Chiang is ultimately the better designer!

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The official design is very interesting, the head vaguely reminds me of Rob Bottin's original Robocop helmet and also evokes the classic Star Wars stormtrooper. I like. I also like the possible idea that this droid has been reprogrammed. :)

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I brought that up months ago when we first saw early designs!

@Ed_Fett_77

you do realize that Doug Chiang worked on TFA, what did you thing of his art and conceptual designs in TFA? I bought TFA conceptual art book from Books A Million for $40.00 it is a beautiful book! Ciang is also signed on to work on Episode 8 and 9 !!!

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I hoped "imperial enforcer droid" would look more threatening- especially dot eyes make me think this character is just a comic relief. Hopefully he proves to be ass-kicking destroyer and not poor 3PO clone. But love the idea of imperial battledroid working for rebels- I wonder if he is reprogrammed or did he actually decide to leave the Empire which doesn't treat well droids.

I think that ROTS has much better and more unique designs than TPM what comes to finalized product- don't know that much of concept arts or artists though. But worlds like Utapau, Kashyyyk and Mustafar and well designed IMO.