main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Alexandre Desplat to Score Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by smudger9, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

It's safe to say that the majority of us do. But it will only be a little less than 2 years after he completes scoring TFA that John Williams will have to begin work on the music for Episode VIII. To work on Star Wars for 3 straight years (4-5 if you include the second Star Wars spinoff flick and Episode IX) would be a complete burn-out for him.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I hadn't considered him at all. I had assumed (as I say, NEVER a wise thing to do ;)) that the composer would be a Horner or Zimmer or one of the other really big names**, so Desplat's name came as a pleasant surprise :)

** They are great too. ;)

That is by no means guaranteed.

It's safe to say that the majority of us do. But it will only be a little less than 2 years after he completes scoring TFA that John Williams will have to begin work on the music for Episode VIII. To work on Star Wars for 3 straight years (4-5 if you include the second Star Wars spinoff flick and Episode IX) would be a complete burn-out for him.[/quote]

That would not appear to be the case (the bold text) as the majority of people in thread are happy with Desplat and very few seemed to believe that it was likely that Williams was ever even considered by Lucasfilm.

Import_Jedi

Don't you think it is better to let the franchise grow beyond the Saga movies?

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For the record: Being perfectly fine with Desplat scoring the film while preferring Williams can actually be a thing.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Can someone with the know how post an interview of Desplat?

And, more broadly, doesn't Desplat make a great Star Wars name?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I never said different.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A discussion about preferring Williams over Desplat just went like this...

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    A Chorus of Disapproval

Jedi Knight Fett is quite clearly saying that he would prefer Williams to score Rogue One than Desplat. Not that he fine with the choice, but just prefers Williams.

Import_Jedi responded with ...

Import_Jedi was either grammatically incorrect or had misread Jedi Knight Fett's post. I gave the benefit of the doubt to it being the former, that Import_Jedi simply mistyped.

You misunderstood the discussion to be simply
    in general but this was not the case.

Therefore I never said anything to the contrary of this ...

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The exchange spoke clearly enough for itself. Don't ruin the moment. [face_shhh]

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

It doesn't appear to have been clear, since I did not express the sentiment which you attributed to me. ;)

When a person is wronged (no matter whether the issue is important or minor, as is the case here), that person can speak out if they so wish.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh for ****s sake, how about this: Get back on topic.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I was only responding to your posts. I thought we were on topic because we are stalking about Desplat and opinions on his selection.

12. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, I'll try to post the interview by my unsophisticated self:

[youtube]

DaddlerTheDalek and Hoggsquattle like this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Nice interview. Grand Budapest Hotel was a brilliant soundtrack.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    so far on spottify I have listened to the Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2 soundtrack, and I listened to Godzilla soundtrack, and right now I am listening to the Monuments Men Soundtrack, so far my favorite is Monuments Men. Desplat Is not a Ground Breaking Composer Like Williams Is but he Is pretty good and I think he will be adequate for a Star Wars movie!!!!!!

15. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I think in some cases, Desplat has been better than Williams.

*runs away*

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I love Williams' music as much as any one here, but I think we need to take the adulation down a few notches.

Desplat is not Williams and Williams is not Desplat.

The score for Rogue One has nothing to do with the score for the Saga.

17. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, but also Williams is not Maurice Jarre. Nor is he Korngold.

Great though Johnny Williams is, he is no Max Steiner.

18. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...cember-16-2016.50028179/page-14#post-52230262

THIS was my response to Desplat being hired to work on Rogue One.

What I meant by my other post in this thread is that it is preferred that Williams be the one to work on Star Wars, saga episodes or spinoffs or what-not, to maintain continuity and consistency. But that is obviously not possible...but I have ABSOLUTELY NO qualms about another composer working on SW.

19. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    There's always a bigger fish.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I understand but what I meant is that it is preferred by some that Williams do it all.

21. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    To each his own

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Absolutely. It is just that how you phrased it seem to imply that most people wanted or expected Williams to work on all the forthcoming movies. That is how I read it anyhow. ;)

Import_Jedi likes this.
  23. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    I bought the Imitation Game for my Dad's birthday and Desplat's score was fantastic. Loved the main theme.

The film was excellent too. Highly recommended.

Import_Jedi and Hoggsquattle like this.
  24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm sure Alexandre will consult with JW and make sure his score will be similar to his.

25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

No, the Anthology films will be taking the GFFA to new places.

This means new cinematography, new credits, new style of directing, etc.

And new music.

The most Desplat should be similar to John Williams is in using some variation on the Star Wars Main Theme, like in Rebels and TCW , in the first few seconds ( i.e. Lucasfilm logo, "long time ago ...", Star Wars logo, followed by all brand new ) - and that is assuming the opening of the Anthology will even resemble the opening of the Saga and TCW.