main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Alexandre Desplat to Score Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by smudger9, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm wondering how the music in the trailer came around because that was clearly a variation of the Imperial March. I think that there will be some key things like the march kept in the movie score. I don't expect to hear the force theme though.

I think that TFA will kick off the new styles of cinematography though. The quick zoom in on the Falcon and TIE in the trailer is an indication of that.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Good point about the Imperial March - although isn't it more associated with Vader though?[face_thinking]

There is a point for debate all right. Should Desplat use Imperial or Rebel related music or just start from a blank slate?

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Meh. His work all just sounds like generic hollywood music to me. Not impressed by his Harry Potter soundtracks at all.

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    More closely associated yes, but not exclusively so. The Emperor had the same theme played for his arrival in ROTJ. In Rebels, the theme was played when Tarkin arrives. It is also used in TCW a few times I believe as well. It is called The Imperial March with Darth Vader's theme in parenthesis, not Vader's theme. ;)

I think that he needs to score a few original pieces, especially for Jones' character as she will definitely need her own theme. I would assume that the piece that would go along with the concept art depicting an assault will be original.

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Good point. I can see the benefits of Desplat creating and entirely new score AND of incorporating relevant pieces of Williams work - the military related pieces. It needs to be new, but is connected in certain ways.

It will be interesting to see how this goes?[face_thinking]

DaddlerTheDalek and jabberwalkie like this.
  6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i wonder if they will have a military version of the Force Theme.

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Why? There won't be any Jedi, and the Force theme has only appeared with good Force users.

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I enjoyed the Godzilla (2014) OST :)

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

I hope all SW composers can adhere to elements of music created by John Williams. It's the main element that connects all films as being part of the same universe. Desplat's tendency to go on his own path ( especially in Harry Potter with the under-use of WIlliams score) makes me rather disappointed in him as a "successor" to Williams.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  11. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Desplat's great. Even if you don't appreciate Tree of Life as a film, listen to the score. He can do Star Wars.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

No, I disagree. The anthology films are an opportunity to do a lot of new things in the Star Wars universe and the creative people behind it shouldn't be be tied down.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  13. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree with Hogg here (quick, check the sky for avian swine). Desplat's a great composer, and the Anthology films are a chance to explore all kinds of musical landscapes. Though I'd prefer that the scores remain instrumental, ranging from classical to atmospheric.

Hoggsquattle and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Call a moderator - DathLightlyBruise's account has been hacked :p

EDIT: "Remain instrumental"? I don't believe Desplat has ever done it otherwise. I misunderstood at first - you mean stick with orchestral and not go down the road of using Daft Punk or the like?

15. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Yup, that's right!

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

At the risk of stopping, or reversing, the spin of the Earth and wiping out the human race ..... I agree with that too !!! [face_worried]

17. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Humanity had a good run.

Darkslayer and Hoggsquattle like this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Kind of wrecked the place though. :p

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think he will be adequate for the film but his body of work is not groundbreaking at all and he Is nowhere near as good as John Williams, I would love to see the Composer of The Clone Wars and Rebels get to do one of these movies....

21. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I agree that they should go in new directions; this is the Anthology Series, and it will allow us to explore other Characters of the Galaxy, beyond the Skywalker Saga. But it should still sound like Star Wars. Even though Desplat shouldn't copy William's Themes, I hope he uses Williams as a model. I think he will.

Hoggsquattle and jabberwalkie like this.
  22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I feel like he already looks to Williams a lot. If it's a ZDT tone they're going for I'm hoping we get some of this mood:

But he can go Williams-y when he wants to.

Hoggsquattle and cwustudent like this.
  23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Can you explain? How can it should like Williams without copying him?[face_thinking]

In regards to music, I only know what I like - the techniques and technology are beyond me. :p

I'm hoping for something that sounds like it could fit in with other WWII movie scores like Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare, though, like I asked of Baron_Papanerd above, I'm not sure how this can be accomplished.

24. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

A Composer can use another as a Model without actually copying the music. Sorry, but I don't know how to explain it in detail; I am not a Composer. :p

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Each Anthology film should have it's own score, one that fits that particular film. No, they do not need to be beholden to John Williams. Now would I complain if there's a bit of Williams in there (say using a version of the Imperial March in Rogue One), no. But these are supposed to be their own things, so I WANT them to sound different, and look different, and have different tones/settings/etc. That's the whole point.