main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Ben Mendelsohn (Director Orson Krennic) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 25, 2015.

1. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    The character and the actor playing him was one of the best things about R1 in my viewing. Too bad he's gone for good. Maybe the best evil imperial officer shown in the movie franchise since Tarkin. TFA could have used a character like him instead of Hux. Krennic could have worked as a recurring franchise villain like Loki or Agent Smith.

2. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Well, to be fair, getting off on destroying multiple worlds with one blast is pretty damn evil.

But Hux was a more over the top charachter. He represents corruption of science while Kylo represents corruption of spirit.

But, I'm sorry Krennic and Jyn wouldn't be around to battle each other.

At the same time I thought the way all the charachters eneded up made sense.

3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He found the complete destruction of Jedha's holy city beautiful as well.

Jcuk likes this.
  4. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Absolutely not! I feel much more empathy for a Admiral Piett or General Veers. Krennic gets what others don't - screen time

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would love to see more of Krennic. He was a great villain. Loved his interactions with Tarkin and Vader.

6. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm assuming Krennic was vaporized immediately by the Death Star actually hitting the tower.

7. SnokeIsAMidget

SnokeIsAMidget Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    You should check out "Cataclysm" then :)

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I got it for Christmas, after I finish my current book it's up next!

SnokeIsAMidget likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Ben Mendelsohn's Krennic is da ****. A great addition to the Star Wars Universe!
    I wonder if he'll appear in the Han Solo movie...

10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Krennic was slightly underwhelming in that he was outplayed by the likes of Tarkin and if Vader didn't actively despise him for his weaselling and politicking he certainly wasn't at all sympathetic to the guy, but on consideration I think it actually works quite well in terms of the themes and symbolism of the film as a whole. The main movies feature Tarkin, Vader and Palpatine, the top trifecta of Imperial power (well, duo after ANH of course) and the Rebellion's greatest heroes, it plays out at the very highest levels. Rogue One though is all about the little guys, the background players given the foreground for once, and it makes sense to have the actual war play out amongst those who aren't quite on the same level as the big dogs. Rebels (the show not the organisation) does run into trouble when it tries to make a similar band of disparate rogue types face off against people who really should be well out of their league, and I say that as someone who likes and enjoys the show.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Assume you mean Catalyst?

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I actually found Krennic to be a the worst character in RO and the worst villain of this series yet. Grievous used to have that honor as worst villain....now Krennic gets it.:p

13. SnokeIsAMidget

Dec 16, 2015

Oops, it's "Catalyst" indeed.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  15. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I do actually think that not elevating Krennic to the level of the big dogs as an antagonist who really drives the film is very effective as well. The trilogy format of the OT did ultimately allow Vader to develop significant depth whilst filling that role but I think turning Rogue One into "Jyn vs Krennic" would have limited its potential, instead it ends up more as a look at both sides with the Rebels showing there future strength coming together to fight the good fight and the Imperials there weakness in there ruthless back biting.

robbman21 likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I noticed a parallel between what Krennic does to the engineers and what Tarkin does to Krennic at the end. Krennic "takes care of" the engineers when he no longer needs them and Tarkin does the same to Krennic.

17. PhantomAlpha

PhantomAlpha Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    I can't say if you need to be, but I wouldn't say so. And I think that he was almost good man, from some viewpoints. He was an ambitious and proud Commander and Director, truly believing that he was doing what he needed to, fighting for peace and justice. He also believed that he should be rewarded for his efforts on that front. Not far from the Rebels, just with a different viewpoint. Cannot say if he can be considered a tragic figure, but his fate was really tragic. Working so hard, even before the empire, and not getting something you deserve, only to be killed by competing officer while doing your best to protect the empire and your battlestation.

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't have pity for him when he decided to kill those innocent imperial scientists. That's just utterly stupid.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm seeing similar criticism of Krennic that I saw of Kylo.
    Some people want their baddies to be Badasses. To be formidable and thoroughly evil.

But both these guys are flawed and not entirely up to being the bad guys they want to be. Which makes them interesting if that works for you, or weak if it doesn't.

SnokeIsAMidget and Jcuk like this.
  21. SnokeIsAMidget

Dec 16, 2015

Which is exactly the reason I really liked Kylo Ren (I admit, the lightsaber is also a big factor).

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I have to say I find that decidedly odd, that some fans have taken umbrage with Krennics role as a villain? The whole dynamic between him and Tarkin was brilliant I thought. Tarkin was a veritable mountain that Krennics ambition was never going to conquer. The culmination of which was Krennic seeing the Death Star in Scariffs atmosphere preparing to obliterate it. With Tarkin giving the order to fire being the final sting

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It does add alot to Tarkins badassness.
    The ultimate nightmare bureaucrat who literally nukes his office competitors.

24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Certainly does. Tarkin had Krennic in his pocket the whole time, he never even had a chance. Culminating with the final **** you at the end. Really no wonder Vader obeys his command come ANH

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  25. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    "Tarkin had vision. You have graphs"...Vader having a bromance moment in the Vader comics when Tagge made a criticism of 'Tarkin's folly'.

Krennic didn't even calculate how much regard Vader held for Tarkin; he had zero chance from the onset of obtaining his goal in commanding the station.

Hence the choke and pun...Vader spelled it out for him. Krennic interpreted it as a maybe...lol

Darth__Lobot, PCCViking and Jcuk like this.