main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Donnie Yen (Chirrut Imwe) in Rogue One (incl. Force sensitivity discussion)

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darkslayer, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

From the article on starwars.com :

Thoughts on his casting and what his role could be? :D

*Post plagiarized shamelessly from starocean90 :p

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He's a blind Jedi. I'm calling it now. That staff is a lightsaber. He might even take on Vader.

[​IMG]

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well as I've said in other threads: YAY! Donnie's involvement catapults me into the movie theatre.

Blind Jedi...

No...not Donnie does Zatochi please. :p If that is the case, I hope they do it differently, I heard blind swordsman and I immediately think Zatoichi.

My goofing aside, I do like the staff as a lightsaber; a modified rift on a spear or Kuan Do. I hope we get some background on these characters and the cultures/worlds they are from.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I just don't think they would hire a martial arts superstar and not use his talents. And, that staff looks soooooo lightsabery. :D

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hmmm, maybe he found this guy's saber...

[​IMG]

ShaneP and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Definitely digging the blind Jedi thing, and I've elected to believe it until given reason not to. As for it being similar to Zatoichi, Star Wars has a history of riffing off of classic films, including and in some cases particularly Japanese samurai cinema. It's rooted in the series' DNA. I also don't feel it particularly diminishes Luke's journey, especially since I don't see this guy living to the end credits. If Vader kills him in a duel meant solely to buy the Rebels time to escape, I think that would strengthen Luke's journey by showing Vader's ruthlessness in eliminating the last traces of the Jedi. We see prior to A New Hope that a few sparks of the Order are left, and Vader is snuffing them all out until, by RotJ, Luke is the last one left.

7. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    The Straits Times article from last month straight up said he was cast as a Jedi. Actually, it said "Chinese Jedi", which at the time I thought was just awkward wording, but now I'm beginning to wonder if he might be a member of some other Force-using sect, or perhaps a Jedi splinter group.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Changed tag to Official.

mihaitzateo and Darkslayer like this.
  9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Another Jedi? So many "only hopes"

Samayel_ likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't expect any of these characters to survive this film. Maybe Felicity Jones, but certainly not Donnie Yen, if he's a jedi.

11. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    If that staff is a lightsaber, he's holding it wrong. Ouch. I don't think he's a Jedi, but is highly in-tune with his surroundings, like Zatoichi.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Even if this staff looks like a lightsaber, I don't think he is a Jedi. It was said that there won't be any Jedi in Rogue One.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I know what was said, but I no longer believe them. If I'm wrong then no big deal, but for now I think he's a jedi.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Never said they would not use his talents, :p they're going to push Donnie's skills to max but I hope they'll allow him some dramatic time too.

I'd love something like this (not the ad):

15. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    I found the inspiration for his character:

As soon as I saw him in the image, I couldn't get this MadTV character out of my head. The movie is going to be ruined for me now.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Master_Lok I agree that Donnie Yen is a solid dramatic actor, and I'm sure they will give him lots of opportunity to show it. Based on his position in the photo, I'd say his role will be quite prominent, maybe second only to Felicity. We'll see. I'm excited!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Exactly. He could be one of the Lost Twenty...or a Jedi who was able to escape Order 66.

Agree 100%. I might even be more excited for this now than TFA.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He could be an elite fighter WITHOUT needing to be a Jedi. Those do exist you know.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really like the blind Jedi theory. It takes Obi-Wan's lesson to Luke to the extreme and shows a Jedi who has to rely solely on the Force's guidance.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Does every freaking thing in this universe have to be tied to the Jedi in some way? Even something that we were explicitly told WASN'T, it sounds boring/unimaginative.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Indeed, he could. But, this is Star Wars. Is it more likely that they would hire Donnie Yen to be an elite fighter, or a Jedi? If i'm the filmmaker, and I have to choose between those two things, I'd choose Jedi every time. Especially if I've got an opportunity to pit him against Vader. Just seems the most logical choice to me. I could totally be wrong, but that's my theory for now.

Funbox likes this.
  22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    He could easily be a "Force Sensitive" that never had the opportunity to hone his skills or train under the Jedi Order because of Order 66 and the rise of the Empire. That would be very much in line Edward's earlier statements, about the lack of Jedi lingering like a shadow over the the characters in this film. Yen's character could have so much more potential than he is able to actually tap into, which would surely be frustrating to him and hinder him on an emotional/mental level.

Could be something that he is suppressing, too, or perhaps not even consciously aware of to its fullest extent. If Force potential is there with this character, which it very well may be, I don't think he's going to be a full fledged Jedi.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

:) Indeed. I was thinking they could go this route too. My imagination also toyed with the idea that he could be one of the Lost Twenty who has been purposely suppressing his abilities for some time. With Donnie there is a lot of different ways the character can go, Jedi or not, Force sensitive or not. But I do think he is Force sensitive.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    If he's not a jedi then I doubt he'll be force sensitive at all, because of his age. Donnie Yen is 52, and even if he's playing younger than that he's still easily old enough to have been a fully grown and trained jedi during the Clone Wars. If he were a lot younger then I'd agree that he could be a sensitive without much training, like Kanan. But, considering it's only 18-20 years after ROTS, he's too old not to have been an adult during that time period. So, if he's force sensitive, it's likely he was a jedi. Of course, anything's possible at this point.

Funbox and Master_Lok like this.
  25. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    No he isn't Lucasfilm have already said this movie will not have any jedi. They want it to be a dark war film where the characters are trying to survive.