main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Donnie Yen (Chirrut Imwe) in Rogue One (incl. Force sensitivity discussion)

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darkslayer, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    In my opinion, there's no way that Chirrut wasn't Force-sensitive. How else would he have survived the hail of blaster bolts?

nightangel, oncafar and mihaitzateo like this.
  2. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    He was not yet a Jedi knight, because no one knighted him.
    However, he was at least strong with the Force.If not very strong with the Force.
    Remember that when Andor goes to assassinate Galen Erso, Chirrut tells:
    The Force moves darkly near a creature that's about to kill".
    So he was very sensitive to the Force.

I think he was at the level of a Jedi master, as Force skills.

Vegeta Daimo and Darkslayer like this.
  3. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Ive been trying to discuss how Chirrut was a silly fool of a blind man thinking he had the Force on his side in the movie.

It was just pure luck he didnt get shot at and get killed right away for some weird former temple guard. At least Baze had common sense at the time to use a big gun

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, you haven't been trying to "discuss" anything. You've been trying to troll our forums with you antagonistic baiting, and now you've earned your second ban in a week. Congrats!

5. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    Thank You Donnie Yen.

Pure Grace, Heart, and Soul in what he does for Rogue One

Him in The Light, and Vader in the dark, take the film and by a long road

He's not one of those that is made by Rogue One; he's atop those that make Rogue One

Avnar, Siphonophore and Sarge like this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    He could let the Force flow through him. He couldn't control it, but he could allow it to heighten his senses.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I am continually amazed by his character every time I see the film. He may just be my favorite character in the movie and one of my favorite characters in the overall saga.

8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think him and Blaze are an excellent example of the advantages of not treating your audience like inattentive morons as most blockbusters seem to these days. By jumping into their characters and giving us a feeling of their history in a more offhand subtle fashion the film creates something quite complex with a relatively small amount of screen time.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Gigoran Monk like this.
  9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I still can't believe what a backflip I did with Chirrut! I hated the idea of this character...hated it. He is one of the most mysterious/interesting characters I have seen in a SW film in a long time... Baze was also quite interesting :cool:

That'll learn me! (book/cover and all that)

Vegeta Daimo and Sarge like this.
  10. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah despite being a big Yen fan I wasn't at all sure of the character before seeing the film, its the kind of things that could have been awful if it didn't come off and just had him spouting cod mysticism with no character depth.

Avnar likes this.
  11. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I may like him more with time, I still need to get over if that he....died (like everyone else). :(

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  12. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    There are differing degrees of Force Sensitivity:
    • A person can be Force Sensitive (can feel the Force, no training)
    • A person can be a Force User (can tap into the Force, limited\some control, no training) (I know Maz could be considered an advanced user)
    • A person can be a Jedi (Can tap into and control the Force)
    Much like the Jedi ranks:
    • Jedi Padawan
    • Jedi Knight
    • Jedi Master
    • Jedi Grand Master

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I hate the word "Padawan" haha. Apprentice sounds soooo much better... :cool: Is "Grand Master" ever acknowledged in the films?? In the OT Luke is an apprentice, Obi Wan is a knight and Yoda is a master. Obviously the PT opens the ranks up more but I don't recall the rank ever being used [face_dunno]I owner if Luke is a knight (still) or a master at the time of TFA? (now that legends is out)

Edit - Oh, and to keep this on track...Chirrut was awesome! :D

14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." -- Terry Pratchett, from his book 'Reaper Man'

Chirrut is not dead.

15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Chirrut is dead. I don't get it. [face_dunno]

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "He's not really dead, Jim. Not as long as we remember him."

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "Look for the Force and you will always find me."

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Are you the most literal person in the world? ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    maybe [face_dunno]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This. =D= :_|

21. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999

I agree, like all the official things say, he wasn't a real Jedi cause he wasn't trained as a Jedi or a member of the Jedi Order, but he definitely had a very strong connection to the force & as a blind man the way be kicked all those Stormtroopers a**, he's probably a better practitioner of the force than blind Kanan Jarrus who is new to blindness & has to learn how to adapt his lack of vision.

nightangel and Darkslayer like this.
  22. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I suddenly had this thought pop into my head [and don't know if reading 30+ pages is something I can do at the moment]

But has anyone mentioned the similarities between Chirrut and a certain old Dark Horse Canon Jedi ... Master Zao?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zao

23. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    The interesting thing I'd say is that Chirrut, Blaze and the other guardians didn't seem to have been THAT persecuted by the Empire. Obviously the Empire had destroyed the temple but you get the sense this had happened relatively recently and was done to get hold of the crystals to fuel the DS. Chirrut is still able to openly hang around on the streets of Jedha where as a Jedi would obviously have been attacked at once by the Imps.

To me this gives the impression that the guardians and the force religion had become somewhat separate from the Jedi. Sidious needed to defeat and nearly wipe out the latter to take control but the guardians it seems weren't so politically active/powerful and perhaps because they were tied to the force religion more closely the Empire didn't feel they could act against them without suffering a backlash from the wider population?

That would perhaps explain another reason why the fake story about the mining accident(and indeed why Tarkin only had Krennic destroy the city not the whole planet) was invented to cover Jedha's destruction, not just hiding the DS until the time was right but also hiding that it was used on Jedha to avoid a backlash? Alderaan could be painted more as a rebel system plotting to start another civil war(so a threat but also something you could paint as for the greater good) and killing almost everyone connected with it would leave fewer people with a personal grievance, destroying the centre of a galaxy wide religion though would potentially look much worse.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My interpretation was that, rather than making martyrs of the Guardians, the Empire simply defamed and discredited them. I got the impression that most people treated them like street corner preachers and prophets warning that the end is near. They seemed to be mostly ignored and marginally tolerated, not seen as threats to the order of things. If the Empire was seen taking them seriously, that would be a sign to the people that they should be taken seriously.

Darth__Lobot, EHT and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Right.

Not to mention limited resources. The Empire was large and in charge, but it likely didn't have the deep-state capacity, on a galactic scale, to directly oppress every single force-related religious group.

EHT and Sarge like this.