main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Donnie Yen (Chirrut Imwe) in Rogue One (incl. Force sensitivity discussion)

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darkslayer, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The repetitive "this character was boring, that character was boring" commentary adds nothing substantive to the conversation.

Edited in response to DC's reasonable request.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You've have been warned about this before. Cut the mini-modding out. I'm not sure what you're thinking but we certainly don't corral all users who have a negative opinion into a single thread. They have just as much right to post here as you do. If you don't like they're opinion then ignore it. If you think it's trolling/baiting/etc. then report it but you telling others to "take it the complaints thread" ends now.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The difference as I understand it is that in threads like this your open to posting any positive analysis of the film, in the complaints thread it should be the negative comments that drive discussion and any positive talk must be in response to them.

Really for me Chirrut is a pretty much microcosm of the film as a whole for me, what it is and what it isn't. I'd say that the tendency in recent years has been to make supporting character very flamboyant yet whilst he does have some nice action scenes Chirrut is definitely more restrained than typical Marvel supporting roles for example. It does though I think have significant weight to in relative to the amount of screen time, not only does he link into the leaders character arcs but his and Baze's friendship does I think build very nicely across a few short scenes.

To me as well this actually feels much more like what we got in the OT, Boba Fett for example was not a larger than life character yet became very ironic.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I know I am resurrecting this thread, but to this day I still can’t get over how much I love this character. I just already like any character that has a disability but it doesn’t hold them back and Yen just does such a good job

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Chirrut is one of Disney Lucasfilm’s best creations. And IMO he has the absolute coolest costume in all of Star Wars.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He’s the character that I wish survived rogue one if I could save only one. Just such a great character

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    His death scene was just so well done, though. I’ll sacrifice a great character for a great scene like that.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s true. I am one with the force and the force is with me.

Darth__Lobot and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    “Look for the Force, and you will always find me.”

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I'd much rather see a series based on the Baze/Chirrut characters, than one about Cassian Andor.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    DarthBoba likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He’s a spy during a time of Empire. Meaning we’re going to be getting a planet-hopping interstellar spy thriller. That’s the best concept for a Star Wars series yet, IMO.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Right. I like Baze and Chirrut just as much as Andor, but they don't seem to have as much relevant backstory that can make for an intriguing story line that ties into larger events. In other words, "Rebel Alliance spy" probably has more content potential than "Guardians of the Whills / Protectors of the Temple of the Kyber".

Also, a reminder: this is not the thread for ongoing discussions about Cassian Andor or his Disney+ series. This is the Chirrut Imwe in RO thread. If discussing Andor in RO, please use his thread in this forum. If discussing the Andor Disney+ series, please use the thread for that in the SW TV forum.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    There's roughly twenty years between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One. How do we know that Baze and Chirrut didn't have years of off planet adventures, before settling back on Jedha?

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    We don't know that. They might have. But I just don't think that whatever history that could be elaborated on for them would probably be deemed as being as relevant or connected to the larger story (for the purposes of a Disney+ series) as something that deals with the early foundational days of the Rebel Alliance.

Sarge likes this.
  15. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Star Wars stories seem to work best when they're somewhat removed from the larger story (like the Mandalorian). A West Wing style storyline focusing on the inner workings of Palpatine's office would be relevant to the larger story, but obviously wouldn't work as a series. It's just my opinion, but I think that Baze and Chirrut are more likeable, and have better chemistry, than a guy and his CGI robot (even though I do like K-2SO).

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I think the Andor series has good potential, but I don't necessarily disagree about Andor as a character.
    I just think that LFL has done some thinking about the potential for different series that made them decide that Andor was a good bet.

BlueYogurt likes this.
  17. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    He's an unlikeable character, and I think they'll have trouble trying to build a series around him.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, in your opinion.

At any rate:

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Yes, in my opinion.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t understand what’s so unlikable about Andor. He’s also played by arguably one of the best actors currently in the franchise.

21. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    The first time we see him, he kills a man (an ally), in cold blood. This is not a Han Solo moment. The man was unarmed, and defenceless. Injured, in fact. Yes, I understand the reason, and it could be argued that it makes the scene more believable, but how are you supposed to identify with a character like that?

22. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    ...and I just realized that was another Andor post, in the Chirrut thread. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    EHT likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I would highly recommend seeing John Wick 4, if for nothing else than to see Chirrut Imwe conduct himself in a much more violent manner than when he was a Guardian of the Whills.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Chirrut is more Jedi that almost all the actual Jedi in SW

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    He is but a dreamer and a fool.

Darth__Lobot, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.