main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's the subtlety that is exactly what I like about Felicity's performance. When you look at her eye movements in a lot of scenes, for example, it conveys a lot. There is a calm and confidence there that only a seasoned and experienced person would have in those circumstances. Jyn has been there and done that already. Think about it, after the introduction of young Jyn, when it fast forwards to her as an adult, she doesn't say a single word until she asks Mon Mothma "What is this?" during the interrogation scene. From the jail cell, to the transport on Wobani, to her rescue, to the first few minutes of her interrogation, not a single word out of her. Her whole character is conveyed by expressions. And yet by that point we already assume the kind of character Jyn is. Remember, Jyn is a character we are supposed to see in stride, with no background whatsoever to give us any kind of indication as to who she is, yet we are to understand the circumstances she is in and implicitly believe in how she handles those circumstances. She can't afford to have some over the top story arc. So to be able to perform a character in stride like that speaks volumes about Felicity's understanding of the way Jyn needs to be portrayed.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah well made point motivate, as I said earlier I think this is a similar kind of performance to Carrie Fisher in ESB and generally I think there's a tendency to underrated the ability of actresses(much moreso than actors) who work(and are used) in this way putting it purely down to trading on their looks rather than acknowledging that selling emotion worldlessly isn't easy.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I recall how impressed I was by her non-verbal performance during the Galen hologram and when she sees his dad dying.

5. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017

These are both excellent points. In that short video, one of the first things Felicity mentions is how she and Edwards wanted to portray Jyn's "humanity and her vulnerability". They certainly did that. Jyn is also, clearly, perpetually depressed from her life experiences, so her personality is acted from that foundation. The subtlety in acting was spectacular. Jyn is tough but hollow and broken to her core. The first time we see her core get exposed is when she sees the hologram. You can visually see the emptiness, bitter sadness and...numbness...all surface.

6. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly one of the strangest criticism of Edwards as a director for me is that he doesn't do drama well. For me he's one of the best directors of realistic drama in blockbusters today, Cranston's character in Godzilla for example I think is 100% believable as someone chasing the mystery as a coping mechanism to deal with his wife's death. Equally here I think Jyn makes perfect sense as an emotionally repressed person given her background and that's going to mean shifting between being very controlled most of the time to being very vulnerable when her guard is finally broken down.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm running out of Felicity Jones movies, I seriously sat through "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" just cuz I wanted to watch her. But, yes, everyone see Like Crazy just if you want to see one of her best performances (probably her as Jyn in Rogue One is my other favourite one of hers and in A Monster Calls). also check out Chalet Girl cuz probably her dopiest but most carefree performance (she actually does a lot of serious movies which is odd considering she's actually downright perky and fun in interviews)

This is odd and spoilery but Felicity Jones had 4 movies in 2016: Rogue One, Collide, A Monster Calls and Inferno. She dies in 3 of those movies (Rogue One, A Monster Calls, Inferno). 2 of those movies she had a very bad sickness (Collide, A Monster Calls). She's shot at in 3 of those (Inferno, R1, Collide). In two of those her death is via explosion (Rogue One, Inferno). So, basically in all of her 2016 movies she's either completely dead or in 1 of them, Collide, she has a somewhat serious bad movie sickness at the start to generate sympathy for her. but the real question is: why do filmmakers keep killing Felicity Jones?! And does she notice that she happens to keep dying in those movies she made?

8. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    British actors do seem to be rather more death-prone than their American equivalents in general for whatever reason! 2016 was potentially the start of a break out for Felicity to become more than just a recognised face and into outright stardom (if that's what she wanted, not all actors/actresses do) - depends on how she follows up on it.

SpecForce Trooper and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Watched an episode of Dr. Who with a friend tonight and was taken by surprise to discover Felicity Jones was in it. I got a bit excited and caught off guard. She did very well and was a significant role. The episode is in season 4 titled 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' if anyone wants to check it out. And apologies if this has been mentioned before.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sweet, I'll have to check that episode out. I think I've seen about 4 eps of Doctor Who total and I did like them however if she's in one I'll just randomly watch that.

christophero30 and DL44Jo like this.
  11. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Yeah, Dr. Who was one of those shows I knew I would like and would get around to at some point and finally did at the beginning of this year - I'm in season 4 now. Sure enough, I love it like I thought I would.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I loved Tennant and Smith, but I lost interest with Capaldi.

christophero30 likes this.
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Just started watching the Matt Smith Dr. Whos. Dinosaurs on a spaceship! :p

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Guys, Doctor Who is awesome, but this is the Felicity Jones / Jyn thread.

15. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    Just completed Chapter 5 of Rebel RIsing.. Really explains a lot about later scenes in Jyn's life in R1, especially that hologram scene. It makes it more emotional due to Galen's actions in this book. :D

DL44Jo and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Literally the only episode I didn't watch! Now I think I have to.

SateleNovelist11 and DL44Jo like this.
  17. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    The perks of being in a successful Star Wars film:

Swan Lake' Pitch Starring Felicity Jones Sparks Bidding War

Talk about fireworks: A hot pitch starring Rogue One: A Star Wars Story actress Felicity Jones that hit the town just before the Fourth of July holiday has sparked multiple studio offers.

The pitch, from Kristina Lauren Anderson (Catherine the Great), is inspired by the classic ballet story Swan Lake. The project has Jones attached to star and Call Me by Your Name helmer Luca Guadagnino attached to direct.

Sources say several studios — including Universal, Paramount and TriStar — have put in bids, along with other production banners. Mandeville Films is producing, and WME is representing the hot film package.

Mostly Handless, BigAl6ft6 and DL44Jo like this.
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am glad that our new Star Wars actors are doing great after making SW movies. This speaks of the quality of these new movies as well.

But Felicity was already very well known and recognized before SW.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  19. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    She was well known to a certain segment, but Star Wars has introduced her to a wider audience. There were people who had never heard of her, and may now be fans because of what they saw in Rogue One. That popularity factors into the decisions that studios make on which projects to back. Only time will tell, but I suspect we will be seeing Felicity in more high profile movies in the years to come.

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I concur. Jyn came off as reserved and remote initially. I sobbed with her when she viewed the hologram of her father. And I liked how she and Cassian were drawn to each other in the final phase of the film. Felicity Jones made the movie for me. This was the Star Wars film I had been waiting for since 1995. On a side note, it inspired me to view Jones' other performances.

21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Star Wars Forces of Destiny | The Stranger | Disney

22. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017

Beat me to it. Jyn the Friend.

Mostly Handless and Mr. Forest like this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I love the pause when Jyn seems to be deciding whether she should tell the girl her real name.

Mr. Forest, BigAl6ft6, Blue 5 and 2 others like this.
  24. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Now watch how it's the girl who tells the Rebellion about Jyn Erso.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and Blue 5 like this.
  25. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Looks like you'll have another one soon, and maybe she won't die this time.:p
    http://deadline.com/2017/07/felicit...n-the-basis-of-sex-focus-features-1202130880/

Embarrassingly, Dr Who and Chalet Girl were the only things I'd seen Jones in before Rogue One. But yeah, she's awesome... [​IMG] That accent shifting too.[face_laugh]=D=

BigAl6ft6 likes this.