main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
  2. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    On my last rewatching of Rogue One, I noticed a few things about Jyn I hadn't noticed before.

When K2S0 tells her that Cassian doesn't think it's a good idea to bring her along, she looks suspiciously at Cassian talking with General Draven and it's only then that she takes out her blaster. I never really understood this before but now I realize this is when she begins to suspect that his real mission is to kill her father. It gives more meaning to "trust goes both ways".

Another thing is how she literally jumps in front of K2 before Baze shoots him! She's instinctively ready to sacrifice her life for a droid she dosen't even seem to like that much. This reveals how heroic she really is, even if her stony exterior belies it.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I had noticed the former, but not the latter. Thanks for pointing this out!

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I wouldn't say that she actually suspects there going to kill her father(who she's still estranged from) at that point, moreso a general suspicion of their motives. Its only after Eadu I think she naturally puts the pieces together and realises Cassian was using her to get a shot at Galen.

Avnar likes this.
  5. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    The scene were she is in the U-Wing about to take off for Jedha.

The scene of her walking through Saw's Den and talking with Saw.

The scene of her dying father in her arms, after being knocked out by a blast and soaking wet, and almost blown away by the engine of Krennic's ship. Felt so bad for her losing her Papa.

My favorite Jyn scene may be when she first meets Chirrut. She was confused, sad and hesitant, but she opened up a little for the first time. Classic Jyn in that scene, just a sweet person crushed by the past, coming out a little when approached by a new friend.

6. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Very good points. They did a great job writing a 'light' character who hides herself if shades of 'grey.'

eko32eko7 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know, I have a theory in the back of my mind, kinda dark, that Jyn maybe doesn't become a wide eyed "Rebellions are built on hope!" idealist in the third act after he father dies. She's incredibly cynical even when she meet Saw "They wanted an introduction, they got it. I'm out now." She tags along mostly to try to save her father, who is killed by the Alliance (not Cassian who has a change of heart). She is trying to get everyone to attack Scarif but not really out of idealism in a greater cause, which is what her speech to the Alliance council seems, but mostly out of she wants revenge against the Empire and Krennic for what they've done to her (two!) families. And it all spills out in her speech to Krennic "My father's revenge. He built a flaw in the Death Star. He put a fuse in the middle of your machine and I've just told the whole galaxy how to light it."

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I love how Felicity delivers the complexity of Jyn's character. I agree that Jyn is pragmatic, she is 99% of the time thinking about herself and her problems and agenda.

The fact is, Cassian is the same as well. He just wanted to fulfill the task, not caring much about what was happening around him.

Rogue One has flawed characters, à la Han Solo. There are differences of course, Han was way way more selfish, but the Rogue One crew had a little bit of Han Solo in them.

Bodhi and Chirrut were the ones who stood off as the most "noble" of the bunch regarding their beliefs.

9. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Han in ANH is I think a good comparison, with Luke in ROTJ mixed in. What a lot of the analysis I'v seen misses for me is that Jyn's character is not just driven by righteous purpose but also by self redemption. The idea of the apolitical anti hero has I think become so ingrained in cinema that audiences don't tend to question it much anymore, I mean someone like say Snake Plissken's
    nature is justified in Escape from Newyork by the corrupt and uncaring politics he's dealing with but often that isn't the case.

A lot of reaction to the key scene with Cassian after Eadu I'v seen for example tends to view it as pretty much one way traffic with his argument as invalid. Really though I think its much more of a two way street, her criticisms of him are valid but.so are his of her self centred focus. Whilst her negative life experiences are acknowledged we see other characters such as her father share these experienced but do not lose their idealism, Jyn at that point isn't looking to avenge her father so much as to live up to his example.

10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Jyn was aimless at the beginning of the film. Embittered by the losses of her mother, father, and Saw, she was a petty criminal. She sought redemption and purpose in her life. The same was true for Cassian. That's why they form a special bond. These are all reasons why Rogue One is amongst my favorite Star Wars films.

11. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
  12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Blue 5 No matter how circumspect you think you're being, keep the spoiler talk to the ST spoiler forum.

Blue 5 likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    My favorite Jyn moments, in no particular order, are 1) when she is viewing the hologram of her father, 2) when she speaks with her father before his death, 3) when she berates Cassian for his compromises, and 4) when she confronts Krennic.

Mostly Handless and LordDallos like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Favorite Jyn moments:

Her initial “rescue” by K2SO and meeting with Mon Mothma and Cassian, her whole “What do you want from me” attitude.

Her conversation with Saw. “You can bear to see the Imperial flag flying over the galaxy?” “It’s not a problem if you don’t look up.”

Her speech to the Alliance. “What chance do we have? The question is, what choice? Run, hide, plead for mercy, scatter your forces? You give way to an enemy this evil with this much power and you condemn the galaxy to an eternity of submission! The time to fight is now!”

Landing on Scariff. “If we can make it to the ground, we take the next chance. And the next. And on and on until our chances are spent.”

Her first viewing of her father’s hologram and her final meeting with him.

15. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm glad they didn't overdo her round ass and the tight pants despite that blatant shot (putting the plans in her rear pocket)

NexuLeader, Mostly Handless and 11-4D like this.
  16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    As someone whose very attracted to Felicity, and was looking, I didn't even notice that shot the first few times. They did a perfectly fine job of not oversexualizing her.

MoffJacob likes this.
  17. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Again I do like the way that scene seemed to be having a bit of fun with expectations. The idea that Jyn would be a shallower "too cool for school" kind of kickass character gets played up for a brief moment before being brought very literally down to earth by K2.

coervus likes this.
  18. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    awww...
    courtesy of the internet.:)

Edit: Some Jyn art...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I never saw any of her previous work before Rogue and I thought she did a great job.

20. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Every time I rewatch Rogue One, Jyn simply shoots up higher on my list of favorite SW characters. She's up there with Vader and Han for me, and I don't say that lightly at all. Still sad we're likely never to see her again in another film. At least her one movie is truly an excellent one.

21. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't find out till after seeing the movie that she also played the Worst Witch's archrival Ethel Hallow, in the Worst Witch TV series - but I did remember enjoying the series itself - so l probably thought at the time that they were all pretty good in that.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    She’s wonderful. And Jones is one of the best actors to grace the GFFA with their presence.

Though I wouldn’t count Jyn out just yet. Especially if Solo is setting up a series of “underworld” stories. She and Saw might pop up again.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    There's just something about the leading ladies of SW that has a natural appeal to it, right?
    [​IMG]