main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Bring on more Jabba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dewback likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Jabbazilla

Sent from my R2 unit

JediGirl_Angelina and gambit420 like this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Did you see the previous work of Kirshner and Marquand? It is a list of average work at best.

Pro Scoundrel , Artoo-Dion and Six like this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Indeed, if you kicked everyone who doesn't like the prequels off the production team there would be a skeleton crew, probably of 18 year olds.

TKT, TX-20, Dra--- and 4 others like this.
  5. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    He's also a fan of shooting on-location, that is also a plus for me.

Trebor Sabreon, TX-20, Ryus and 3 others like this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    We'll see.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Very bombad. I was afraid these spinoffs would be given to 2nd and 3rd tier directors.. Further- Gary Whitta?? He wrote After Earth. And the Book of Eli was no great shakes either. :(

8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I liked Book of Eli, a lot.

DarthKreVass and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Bad writing was what killed the prequels.

TX-20 and vinsanity like this.
  10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He has only made 2 films, both with very strong reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/gareth_edwards/

Ryus and TheBBP like this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Didn’t like Monsters. Loved Godzilla. Excited. Also, he hails from a town (literally) just up the road from me. I only found out the other day.

12. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999

Hamill also said in his reddit chat that he thought the prequels were amazing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

thejeditraitor and Darkslayer like this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Some elements of them were & some certainly were not. That sums up the opinion of them: mixed. Anyway, to hell with the prequels, let's get back to the spin offs...

14. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    This is where the fun begins!

TX-20, cdgodin, Ryus and 3 others like this.
  15. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Sheesh. Why such a low-rent writer? I can see some Disney execs saying- 'After Earth was such a well received movie, let's hire the writer of that movie to pen a Star Wars spin-off'. And the only other motion picture he wrote was 'Book of Eli'. How does Disney justify this? I was afraid Disney would enlist 2nd tier and 3rd tier writers and directors for the spin-offs. I haven't seen Godzilla, but isn't Disney being a little too hasty to hire that director, too?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. BantuWind

BantuWind Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2012
    Gareth Edwards could be cool, but the guy who wrote Book of Eli? [face_sigh]

Dra--- likes this.
  17. markdeez

Oct 27, 2005
    Don't worry. He also wrote After Earth, a film that has dialogue so bad it makes the Star Wars prequels look like Citizen Kane

Edit: My Apologies, I thought this was an article written by the screenwriter, not the director. Oh well, the director might get some dialogue that makes the PT look like Citizen Kane, from his After Earth screenwriter :D so maybe there will be JUSTICE for the PT hate, after all!

thejeditraitor and Dra--- like this.
  18. markdeez

Oct 27, 2005
    The problem isn't that he wrote The Book of Eli, I actually enjoyed that film, it's plot, and virtually everything about it. The problem is that he wrote AFTER EARTH, lol.

Maybe they should've let Michael Arndt get a crack at 1 of the spinoffs! Oblivion, Toy Story 3, and Little Miss Sunshine were all amazing.

Baron_Papanerd and Dra--- like this.
  19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    After a quick wikipedia check, I'm actually really happy about Gareth Edwards. I've heard good things about Godzilla, but it sounds like Monsters is the movie where he really shines. (He wrote and directed it.) I haven't seen Monsters yet, but this is everything I wanted to hear:
    "Roger Ebert awarded the film three and a half out of four stars and said "Monsters holds our attention ever more deeply as we realize it's not a casual exploitation picture."Peter Bradshaw reviewed the film for The Guardian and gave it four stars out of five, described the film as a "terrifically exciting sci-fi movie" and concluded that Edwards "channels the upriver nightmares of Herzog and Coppola, with a strong streak of Spielbergian wonder at the sight of two aliens apparently dancing". The film ranked No. 3 on Moviefone's Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies of 2010 list. Filmmaker Kevin Smith is a fan of the film, saying on his Podcast Hollywood Babble-On "It will appeal to everything about the child in you that used to like the Four o'clock movie.""

As for After Earth - it was "from a concept by Will Smith" and co-written by M. Night Shamaylan.
    I may question his judgement working with them, but I can't place the blame for the film's poor quality entirely on his shoulders. There are two easier explanations.

TKT, Death_Jar_Jar, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    With the quick announcement and unknown screenplay writer, it might be one of the books adapted to film.

Which Han Solo story stands out the most?

21. markdeez

Oct 27, 2005
    Indeed, Indeed. M. Night Shamaylan is the KING of making mediocre sci-fi films. I love his film "Signs", but anyone will tell you that ending, LOL, well.....

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I doubt they will adapt anything

Sent from my R2 unit

darklordoftech and Dewback like this.
  23. markdeez

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm going to watch "Monsters" tonight

TX-20 and Darkslayer like this.
  24. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Doesn't Disney care enough for these spinoffs to have hired a higher caliber writer and director??

markdeez and Dra--- like this.
  25. BantuWind

BantuWind Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2012

Eek, I didn't even know that! Not helping his case at all, and I totally agree with you re: Michael Arndt.