main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Well, I disagree with you :p ;)

In regards to "About a Boy", those posts are directed at me.

You were quoted because Darthsuggs was replying to me ;)

Darthsuggs likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  5. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  6. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    You're fast! I was just about to post this. I get a bounty hunter vibe from the title.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

sounds more fighter pilot to me :D http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_Squadron

FRAGWAGON, starocean90 and Bennihana like this.
  8. Bennihana

Jan 22, 2014
    Could Felicity Jones be playing a badass Rebel fighter pilot? Could Wedge Antilles be in this movie??

starocean90 likes this.
  9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

I think both of those are good bets...

10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Could Rogue One take place between Episode VI and VII? Could it be about a small squadron that discovers what the Empire (or what's left of it) is up to after the destruction of the second Death Star and how it leads up to its existence and activities of TFA?

Other than that, I don't see any broad appeal a movie about rebel pilots could present.

People were hoping to see a spin-off about a popular character like Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, or in some cases even Boba Fett (who still doesn't have broad appeal). Maybe a spin-off movie about Wedge might be cool for some, but most wouldn't be interested. About Luke in the years after ROTJ? Now THAT would be good!

11. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Apart from maybe an Obi-Wan spin-off I've always hoped they'd focus on the smaller parts of the Star Wars universe. I like the fact we don't know exactly what Han was doing when he was younger etc etc. A film following a squadron of Rebel pilots, if that's what Rogue One is, sounds fantastic to me.

Bennihana likes this.
  12. Bennihana

Jan 22, 2014
    Yeah I was never interested in a spin-off where they'd have to recast a major character. Lucasfilm has a whole universe of stories they can use, let's not rely on the same 5 characters for everything.

13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Thread title change in order?

14. thedeco

thedeco Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2016
    Gareth Edwards directing Rogue One, good or no?

I really did like Rian Johnson directing ep8 and phil lord and chris miller on the han solo film, if im not mistaken..

I haven't seen his films but I dont read or hear much good about them ("Monsters and "Godzilla").

My impression is that it will a popcorn movie, which I dislike the idea of it, although he said the movie will focus on the grey area of morality , and that good guys can be "bad" too, which i like that as a main narrative of the film.

What do you guys think?

15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    There is already a long running thread regarding this. Merging now.

16. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Monsters was everything but a popcorn movie, it was actually a very interesting and personal piece of low-budget sci-fi. Godzilla wasnt bad for a big blockbuster about a giant atomic monster, and it could have been a very good one had the script been better (boring humans except for the great walter white..the rest was good IMO)

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Monsters was a fantastic film in my opinion - and quite subtle for a giant monster film. I am really looking forward to seeing his take on Star Wars.

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I was utterly disgusted that Godzilla only appeared in the last minutes of a film carrying his name, so with the same director doing Rogue One, I'll wait to see what the internet thinks of the movie before I even consider opening my wallet.

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    While I think Monsters is a much better film than Edwards' Godzilla, I thought it was a brave choice to keep Godzilla hidden for much of the film. I understand why some fans objected to that decision, though "utter disgust" seems a bit strong.

Can't wait to see what Edwards does with the GFFA.

Artoo-Dion and Dewback like this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm different. If I'm going to see a movie named after the main protagonist, Batman, Godzilla, etc., I expect the film to concentrate on it, not waste people's time and only have it for a few minutes.

21. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Then you must have been disappointed with every Godzilla film ever.

22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've never understood the "Not enough Godzilla" complaints. Really. Did people want him giving monologues to the camera every ten minutes? What exactly are you meant to do with Godzilla? Have him speak? Honestly, what do you do with him? People would have got sick and tired if he appeared every ten minutes just to tare down a building. I think modern audiences (or fans, for that matter) just don’t know what it means to not put all your eggs in one basket. He was in the film more than enough, IMO.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Exactly. I think a lot of viewers have simply not watched most Godzilla films, and/or they simply don't value old school style build up to the main event, and a "less is more" approach to these sorts of movies. Ah well. Takes all kinds. In the end, I don't find it to be a great film. But that's not because of Godzilla's lack of screen time. I mean, he's a monster, not a protagonist. Think of him as Grendel in Beowulf. Much more effective when used sparingly.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  24. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Absolutely. It's quite easy to pick out the non-kaiju fans in the audience when they say things like that. The fact is Godzilla rarely had more than 20 minutes of screen time in any of his movies. Also, he has less screen time in at least nine films, including the original, Gojira, than the 2014 film.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Not really. One of my earliest memories was King Kong versus Godzilla, I have/had six Godzilla movies on videotape; those seven, plus the 1998 Godzilla featured way more appearances of the titular creature than what Gareth Edwards served up.

Even the ******* Godzilla cartoon, measuring his appearance with the length of the cartoon, was more than Gareth Edwards provided.