main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

They are trying to replicate the Marvel Universe model, which I think I think is a bad idea.

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Marvel Movie Universe has an overarching storyline. These spinoffs don't.

Andy Wylde and markdeez like this.
  3. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    It's not about liking the movie, it's about the manner in which he conducts himself. Sure, it's the internet and people tend to be unfiltered in the internet. But would you hire a guy for a job if he said F You to your mentor and friend?

4. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I think they should do more than just solo movies and blockbusters. Someone brought up a fake documentary about the cantina band somewhere, that would be really awesome.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The overall picture I'm getting of Whitta is of a more profane Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. This is hilarious--it's like "Fan Saga 3: Revenge of the Bashers".

And for the record, I enjoy a lot of material in the prequels very much, and I have a personal fondness for Lucas. But it's like all those years of angst from hardcore OT fans have paid off, and now they've been given the keys to their dad's car.

Krueger, TKT, El_Machete12 and 7 others like this.
  6. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Brilliant analogy.

7. BantuWind

BantuWind Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2012
    I think so too. I don't want the general public to become sick of Star Wars due to oversaturation. Granted, I'm sure there are multiple teams working on these different non-episodic films, but the idea of annual releases just rubs me the wrong way. It feels contrived.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Comic Book guy? I hope not. The guy will make the movie seem like Fanservice: The Film.

Andy Wylde and Gallandro like this.
  9. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Dude,it was 2010. 4 years ago. Your holding a grudge over some thing posted 4 years ago. Seriously? [face_laugh]

10. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I disagree. If anything, those posts give a much better insight into his true feelings than anything he says now.

Andy Wylde, TKT, EHT and 2 others like this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    In all fairness, Kasdan probably wrote a treatment and maybe even a draft or two on this movie before moving onto Ep7. I'd say Whitta is doing rewrites.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Opinions can't change over the years? o_O

Death_Jar_Jar and TX-20 like this.
  13. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001

Something like that is possible, perhaps. It won't just be the saga movies and solo films. There will be TV of course, but people have also mentioned that since Disney purchased Maker studios, they could release some sort of YouTube series/shorter videos. Spoof documentaries would be perfect for YouTube.

They are growing Star Wars to be even more of a media empire, expanding into all different areas. So I don't think the spin-offs are the only thing we'll see beyond the main movies.

14. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    If I cut off George's hand will I get to star in the next movie?
    Mod edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

15. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    LOL. People have been saying that for years about Marvel. "Pretty soon people are going to become sick of superheroes from oversaturation". Yet, they're some of the highest grossing films. Even Captain America 2 broke records for box office.

And I don't know about you, but I don't think we've had nearly enough Star Wars the last decade. I don't think we have to worry about oversaturation when the last Star Wars movie to come out was an animated childrens movie.

TKT likes this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Just thinking with 2 Star Wars movies now to open in December will we ever get back to May releases ? I'm happy with December releases cause I think there is more box office money to be made however competing with all the Avatar's could be a problem so unless EP8 is delayed to May 2018 then we will be in the December mode for some time to come - good to see Disney sticking to their promise of having a Star Wars movie out every year ( so far ).........

17. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Pretty sad that some are still holding a grudge over some thing post 4 years ago on a message board. Shoot, I don't remeber what I posted a month ago. Yet, were susposed to hate someone over something posted in 2010. [face_laugh]

18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    If anything, this shows that Disney are determined to stick to their schedule. They're well aware that a lot hinges on the "one movie a year" strategy".

TKT likes this.
  19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

I'm more concerned with his awful writing credits than his Lucas-bashing but either way, I'm amazed he got the job.

Andy Wylde, EHT, Dra--- and 1 other person like this.
  20. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    The internet is forever, my friend. :D

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Gary Whitta said something bad about our GOD!? BURN HIM! BURN HIM NOW!!

resnictem, Darth_Pevra, TKT and 5 others like this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Boba isn't popular with general audiences. Most people don't know or care about any of the bounty hunters.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Opinions can change, but don't be an apologist. His opinions aren't exactly nuanced in those postings. Do you honestly believe there's a chance an opinion he held so strongly and so vehemently 4 years ago has changed?
    If it was constructive criticism, it would be a lot more forgiveable. Can't say I blame the people who are hesitant putting the franchise spin off in the hands of Gary "**** you George Lucas" Whitta.

Andy Wylde and my kind of scum like this.
  24. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    It wasn't even his opinions, just the way he said them. The Special Edition Star Wars blu rays are pretty universally disliked by most people above the age of 3, but he could have stated his opinion with a little more class, but hey I don't think he was expecting hundreds of Star Wars fans to be dissecting his posts 4 years later.

Momotaros likes this.
  25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    While I am disappointed in Whitta, I will try to withhold judgement for now.

As for Edwards, I *loved loved loved* Monsters. I didn't like Godzilla at all, but I freaking loved Monsters so much that this announcement makes me excited to see what he can do with the universe.

Dra---, Dewback and TX-20 like this.