main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Grand Moff Tarkin (Guy Henry and Peter Cushing) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Brilliant stuff! Didn't notice this before.

I concur; to me it looks as if Tarkin is demanding an explanation or 'motivating' Krennic in his typical Tarkin demeanour.

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Ah, I see! My slang must be outdated. Or, rather, not British enough. But yes, he is my favorite villain. Just a brilliantly icy, aristocratic demeanor, which could have easily gone the route of cartoonishness with a lesser actor. I love Vader as a villain, for sure. But Tarkin. He's at the head of the class.

outerrimjaba likes this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder how they are going to pull this off... If they go the "unused footage route" by putting his head on a stand in he probably can't say anything unless the dialogue is made to "fit" with some of his already existing dialogue. If they go the "look alike" option that would be really jarring since this takes place right before ANH

One of the worst (if not THE WORST) character designs was the look they used for younger Tarkin in ROTS - It was horrible! And for some reason they ram this dude down our throats in a lot of the books (Character Encyclopedia, I am looking at you!) :mad:

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

I'm OK with recasts in general, but agree that ROTS Tarkin was...lacking, to say the least.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    He's also been wearing R1 shirts...

smudger9 likes this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Now, is Motti standing next to him?

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Nah but would be cool....

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Looks too young. Would've made a good Tarkin in RotS.

9. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    The biggest issue the CGI folks had with re-creating Tarkin was his legs. Perhaps, this is a body actor. Another interesting note to me about this scene is this looks like the overbridge, but perhaps one south of the DS1 equatorial trench. Or, Krennic's personal bridge of his own ISD without the data pits.

Tarkin has to loom large in this film...and Tarkin answers to noone, except Palps...who seems to be more and more reclusive in imperial affairs. Essentially, the DS1and Oversector Governor Tarkin is the replacement of the Imperial Senate.

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

I think this is exactly what it is, having a 'body' on set and one that would fit the measurements of Peter Cushing makes sense, I'm not sure if Stanton is tall enough and his face seems much fuller than Cushing's with his gaunt high cheekbones. I still say it's Guy Henry, who'll imitate Cushing's movements with Stanton providing the voice and probably Henry doing the motion capture to give Tarkin's face a fuller range of emotions than just cgi could achieve.

11. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The CGI is definitely getting better. Like the de-aged Michael Douglas in Ant man.

Although it helped he was actually played by Michael Douglas. The Tarkin stand-in will have to capture Cushing's unique mannerisms.

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I think a Grand Moff arguing with Krennic moment will hit me harder than Vader. If they do a full face close up, and it is Peter Cushing, and it doesn't look plastic, I'll... I'll be grinning big time while chomping on my chock top ice cream.

Unlike other attempts, this isn't a de-aging. It's a reconstruction.

One Quarter Portion and Bloncket like this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

and If It Is Tarkin The CGI Is not anywhere near complete, that kind of stuff gets worked on right up to the last minute! It will look better in the finished product!

GregMcP likes this.
  14. Darth Zitious

Darth Zitious Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2016
    These plans getting stolen is a crisis for the Empire. If we see Vader during crisis, Tarkin would definitely be involved too. I really hope they find a way to incorporate him in this movie.

15. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    However, did Peter Cushing's estate approve of his resurrected appearance?

Tarkin HAS to be in this, even just for one scene.

Darth Zitious likes this.
  16. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Robert Downy Jr. as his younger self in Civil War blew my mind. Couldn't find any footage of it...but wow. If CGI can do that, then Tarkin should be easy.

DBPirate, fuhry and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  17. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'm sure they did. SAG changed their rules (ironically because of Crispin Glover being replaced in BTTF) to prevent "unauthorized mimicking" of other members. There are arguments to be made that neither that nor existing case law on publicity rights would apply, but I don't see Disney as taking that chance.

Max (DarthMalevonus) keeps calling it a watershed moment, which it probably is, and I don't see Disney taking a chance that that moment could come back to bite them in the ass.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He looked exactly like RDJ in Weird Science from 31 years ago. It was so unreal/awesome.

19. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015

The beauty of this film for Peter Cushing fans is that it's set during the height of the Tarkin Era of the Empire. I like to see this film demonstrate how big of a power structure was involved with the construction of DS1. After the Battle of Yavin, Motti, Krennic, Yularen and Tarkin were pretty much like the Keitel, Doenitz, Guederian and Himmler/Goebbels of the Third Reich getting eliminated say in 1942.

TV Show Rebels demonstrates how Tarkin is such a strategic and political force for the Empire during that period. Vader used him as a threat to Minister Tua, and Governor Pryce came to him, so Tarkin could assign Grand Admiral Thrawn to weed out the rebels. Having Oversector control - gave him the rights to blow up a Core World, Alderaan, and complete command and oversight of the entire DS1 construction by the Emperor made him the #2 man in the Empire. Vader was Palps apprentice, but to have that kind of authority with little oversight from Palps made him formidable. His entire modus operandi during this period between ROTS and ANH was to construct the replacement of the Imperial Senate. Thrawn, Pryce, Kallus, Inquisitor and even Vader were at his request to the Emperor to stamp out any issues that disrupted his logistics and security of key interests for DS1 operation.

Tarkin was the main villain in this era...period. Tarkin's character was given more depth and intrigue by Peter Cushing's performance. Go back and watch ANH and his entire mannerisms with Vader...everyone including Vader orbited around him.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Nice catch! That does look like Tarkin!

21. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i must be missings omething cause i think his hair i too dark and not styled right to be tarkin/stand in. cant really see his face either.

22. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Either they're just going for the "spirit" of the character. Someone similar, but not a full replica. Or the actor will be CGI enhanced later.

raefinnpoe likes this.
  23. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It wouldn't matter anyway since his face will be replaced with CGI.

24. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    ok im just thinking of how they did the guy with the mask in ROTS. sorry.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    With Hank Pym in Ant-Man and Tony Stark in Civil War, I have no doubt the CGI would be top notch.