main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Grand Moff Tarkin (Guy Henry and Peter Cushing) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bosskkkk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, the new trailer is out. In it, we have another brief glimpse of the Death Star's "command" area. Anyone make out Tarkin in the brief shot? From the BTS sizzle reel from Celebration, I felt pretty confident of seeing Tarkin in the background, but I can't say the same with the shot from this new trailer. Granted, there are a lot of Imperial dudes in this new shot...

Any sleuths out see Tarkin?

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    No Tarkin. He either enters the room behind Krennic or is off to the side somewhere. The bald guy next to Tarkin in the BTS video is missing too unless he initially wears a hat in the scene. I doubt Tarkin wears a hat. The rest of the Imperials seemed designed to blend in but I wonder if the bald guy is specifically there to be a victim like a Motti or Ozzel.

3. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015

With all the hype and reveal with Vader and other prequel and OT stars, there is still no firm official confirmation from Gareth and co. (that I've read) that Tarkin is in this film.

Is this because of wrestling with the CGI? I wouldn't expect a scene in the trailer release, but maybe a press release confirming Sir Cushing digitally reprising the most important imperial officer during this era and with the DS1 project.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Maybe Tarkin as a hologram is the way to go if the cgi version isn't working...? Atleast with a hologram it's all fuzzy anyway...

5. outerrimjaba

May 24, 2015
    Could be...but, the job they did in Captain America: Civil War with Stark...simply amazing.

Effort has to be given for Peter Cushing in this movie. Too much effort in giving Tarkin a backstory and this is his station and project. He's the real menace to the rebellion in this timeline.

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Whether he's a hologram or in the flesh, I'm guessing Tarkin is a one-scene cameo in Rogue One. It would be pretty easy to limit his role to that in a convincing way, especially with Krennic taking front and center as the lead Imperial villain. Really Vader would make more sense to have more scenes than Tarkin. And by all accounts Vader's role is definitely supporting, not a main role, so we could just see him briefly via hologram link giving Krennic or Vader orders, or even just get a mention in dialog of the Grand Moff...

7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Depth of field. Depth of field can make anything realistic. Keep Tarkin in the background slightly blurred out.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    We can see Tarkin from behind, walking and talking or seated in a wide shot in a darkened room, etc. There are many ways to make this convincing.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

This. Either that, or from behind (or in the shadows). If the CGI on his face recreation is even slightly off, it will completely ruin the effect. So if it ain't perfect, cover it up.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I like the idea of a hologram. They would be able to get away with any imperfections.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    WOW, great catch! That is definitely him!

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Not entirely. Snoke was a hologram, and he looked like a hologram based on a CGI character. In the OT, all the holograms were based on actual images of people, which is why they look...real. So even if they go that route, they'll need to be careful. Though it's certainly easier than recreating him in the flesh.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  13. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    TBF, Snoke was a very "fleshy" hologram. The holograms in the OT and the PT were pretty low resolution by comparison.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

True, but you will likely still tell the different between an actor who's been hologramized, and a CGI human who's been holomgramized. Subtle facial movements have a lot to do with it, I think.

But agree that a Tarkin hologram would be easier to pull off.

15. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    I feel having no "live-action" Tarkin would be a copout.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

He doesn't have to be in it at all, to be honest. But if he is, they should do it in the most realistic way possible. A "copout" is when someone refuses to take responsibility for something they absolutely should take responsibility for. This is not even remotely the case here. Not least because Tarkin is not likely to be the most important part of this story. In which case, if it comes down to a tradeoff between rendering Tarkin and getting the finale with Jyn and company right, CGI funds are probably better spent on the latter.

17. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    "He doesn't have to be in it at all"

The man in command of the Death Star not in the Death Star movie?

Right.

DBPirate and GunganSlayer like this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

I want him to be in it, as he's my favorite villain from the OT. The point I was making is that he doesn't have to be present for the pre-operational days, as he is a Commander not a foreman. That's Krennic.

All this said, I do want to see him in he flesh. Just don't need to see his face in full light, if that's going to expose the seams...

19. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    He doesn't have to be in it, but neither does Vader. However, just like Vader, if he isn't in it it would feel a little strange, IMO.

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    does Krennic have his own official thread? I mean this guy, his looks, his dress, his gravitas. he is worth talking about. I did not see a thread for him as I did some of the others. So he is not a Moff right, he is a Admiral, or as some sources say Director Krennic. I just love seeing this guy in the new trailer. Not a pro empire guy, though I am half rooting for them this time, especially Vader to finally get some TFU type scenes. But I love this character already.

[​IMG]

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Right here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...director-orson-krennic-in-rogue-one.50028654/

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    thanks. guess it was buried

23. outerrimjaba

May 24, 2015
    Still no official confirmation on whether or not Tarkin is in this...

darth_mccartney likes this.
  24. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Fingers crossed and positive thoughts!

outerrimjaba likes this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. I think Tarkin will feature in some capacity.

outerrimjaba likes this.