main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    So good. And it's not a spoiler as Chewie could be bluffing!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The affection and importance of Chewbacca has only grown with time.

Giovs likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just realized Joonas was kinda dissed on the character posters they released. The actors are all named on their individual posters except for him. What the hell! :(

4. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    That sucks!

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Such is Chewie's lot in life. No medal, moon falls on his head, porg guilt, and now this.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Would they add "Voiced by Ben Burtt" though?

7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I noticed that pretty quickly, too, and I think it's lame that this happened, especially considering you have both Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Jon Favreau getting credit for their character posters. A lot of this stuff often comes down to agent contract negotiation. I imagine Suotamo had some sort of multi-picture deal and credit for each of the films may have been resolved beforehand. While portraying Chewbacca for the majority of TFA, for instance, he's relegated as "Chewbacca Double" as Peter Mayhew received the actual credit. If I recall from the days of TFA production, rumors speculated that part of Suotamo's contract for TFA indicated that he could not comment or specifically point out which scenes were his, and which (of the few) scenes were Mayhew. Generally speaking, we know Mayhew basically played only "sitting" roles, but what ended up in the final version of the film no one really knows. Perhaps Waller-Bridge and Favreau made sure to negotiate in their contract that they would receive such credit on these posters. It's worth nothing that both of them, as well as Suotamo, do not receive top billing on the film's poster, but rather are instead credited in the general film's credits at the bottom (although I don't think Favreau is).

Moving on to TLJ and Solo, I think Lucasfilm is trying to market Chewbacca as if he really was just "Chewbacca" playing himself. I get that Suotamo isn't a big name star, but, I'd imagine he has a decent size role in Solo, much more than Favreau's character, and it would be nice for him to receive public recognition for his portrayal, even if his name confuses some American audiences.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  8. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Wasn't it Kershner that would only direct Mayhew in costume?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    A couple of shots from the 'Roar for Change' video. With Chewie wearing his OT/ST bandolier. Were they snipped from ST BTS videos or from the set of Solo? That shot of Chewie in the cockpit of the Falcon shows it to be it's usual grimy self;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hmmm. Probably from either TFA or TLJ but I wonder if it's possible that they could have filmed a few scenes with old Chewie post Han's death to bookend the film. I've also wondered lately if they would somehow use the deleted scene of Han hanging the dice in the Falcon cockpit. Could be one way to have old Han in it without having to bring Harrison back.

Say the film begins with Chewie in the cockpit mourning then flashes back to his first adventure with Han. After everything is concluded we see Old Han climbing into the cockpit and hanging the dice up then it goes back to Chewie and he's holding the dice annnnnnnd... boom the end. :p

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Me no like "so let me tell you a story" bookends in film. Particularly for Star Wars. Instant immersion is the best way to go, IMO. No holding the audience's hand through the wormhole. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, and boom, you're in the world.

11-4D and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Oops wrong thread

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    I never liked the bookends idea because it messes with the chronology. If there are scenes with old Han/Lando/Chewie whatever, then this places the ordering of Solo after the OT. Whereas I think this film should really be watched after Episode III and before Rogue 1. Yes I am that OCD about it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, and I just find it a storytelling device that breaks immersion. And it's usually very clunky and melodramatic.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I saw tv-spot in which Chewie and Beckett play dejarik and I was bit surprised how Chewie tries to knock down holographic pieces. Beckett then points out that they cannot be knocked down. This seems like something a primitive person would try to do, not realizing that holograms are not solid.
    But why Chewie would do that since Wookiees seem to be really familiar with holographic technology? For example in ROTS where Chewie himself is watching Yoda and jedi council holograms. Sure Chewie doesn't think there are actually small jedi on the table? At least I think...

I know it's supposed to be a joke, but it made me wonder if they remember the overall continuity, with Chewie in ROTS and the fact wookiees are not primitive at all but actually technologically quite advanced species. This seems to be remembered in another scene where Chewie tells how old he is and that he can fly a spaceship. This seems to work with ROTS and Chewie's backstory but it then contradicts the dejarik-scene in the same movie, how come 190 years old being who can fly spaceship try to knock down holopieces?[face_thinking]....Weird...

Ok most probable explanation is that Chewie just got angry and tried to knock down the pieces without thinking about it being impossible. Beckett then stated the obvious for the frustrated wookiee. Like when a frustrated person shouts to computer that doesn't work and someone points out that shouting won't help. Or maybe Chewie had played physical version on Kashyyyk and used to do that when game went badly. Or then years as slave had made Chewie a bit confused or even delusional... I dunno[face_thinking]. He is known to have a volatile short temper and is sometimes bit absent-minded and clumsy like when he accidentally puts 3PO:s head backwards.

On top of that it seems like a pointless change to old canon that dejarik table now belongs to original Falcon, in old canon I'm pretty sure at least in cross-sections sourcebook, it was said that it was Chewie who wanted that table to Falcon and it was originally not included there. I liked the idea that dejarik table was Chewie's request. But it seems not to be the case in new canon....

I know I should not be thinking about it that much, especially when we don't yet know if that scene even is in the movie, but it made me bit worried that they may forget continuity for Chewie and was overall bit puzzling. I really hope they won't forget that OT is not the first time we see Chewie in canon, that is actually The Clone Wars episode where he is prisoner of trandoshans with Ahsoka. I like Chewie and I would like to see he has seamless continuity from PT-era to ST-era. :chewie:

I know I'm being irritating nitpicking nerd when I even think about stuff like that:-B.

wobbits likes this.
  16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

I know what you mean, but I'm hoping it's just a scene of ultimate frustration after Chewie loses a game, rather than a lame "haha, he's a primitive ferocious alien experiencing new, confusing tech. Get it! Joke!"

I also would not be surprised if this scene is inspired by Lucas' set visit, especially given the photos and video that were released of him on set on the Falcon...with the dejarik table. Remember, sometime ago the news came out that Lucas visited the set, and offered advice on how to shoot a particular scene (I think some Internet outlets claimed "Lucas directs new Solo scene" or something to that effect). The photos and video of that set visit just now were released.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    All accounts of that tale indicate that GL said something like - 'Han would have done this....'. So probably not the same scene.

wobbits likes this.
  18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I mean, I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I yell at the characters in video games I play when I get annoyed, and I know they aren't real and can't hear me. Chewie's basically doing the same thing lol. :p

11-4D and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Personally, I pretend that Chewie was not in ROTS, and wasn’t actually a friend and bodyguard of Yoda during the Clone Wars. Quite possibly the worst example of fan service in Star Wars.

11-4D and AndyLGR like this.
  20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it was... quite an interesting retcon. Kinda unexpected way Lucas used to make up things as he goes.... never much cared if his new stuff makes sense with his old stuff. We never learn much about Chewie's history in OT anyway.

I think that R2-D2 and 3PO in prequels are more illogical fan service really. 3PO being built by Anakin, living 10 years on Lars Homestead before ANH, R2-D2 being Anakin's personal droid and having adventures with Obi-Wan before ANH.... obviously that was never intended to be so originally.... but then Lucas changed the past. With 3PO:s memorywipe and change in appearance plus Obi-Wan's dismissive attitude towards droids I think it makes enough sense to work, but it's still obviously retcon. Same with Chewie and Yoda having some history together. I don't think they were that close really, Chewie was just respected part of wookiee community that Yoda had good relations with. I'm okay with that, Chewie is after all 190 years old and I think part of that "Force nonsense" Solo has heard about may have been told him by Chewie, who actually witnessed it. Han just thinks that Chewie exaggerates or is simply fooled by simple tricks and nonsense. When Han learns it is actually true that also makes him to respect Chewie more. That is my fan-theory.

Still Chewie in ROTS is canon now, no matter who likes it. So it should be respected as such in future projects and I would prefer if they wouldn't do that much illogical stuff anymore, Lucas did that enough himself.

Haha yeah I know. It certainly is not a big deal. Not for casual viewers or fans. It just got me worried that it may indicate that they may have not considered all aspects of his character right. It is good that his old age is now mentioned on-screen since casual viewers don't realize he is much older than Han, his appearance in ROTS easily goes unnoticed.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  21. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    @Swashbucklingjedi When I first saw it, it struck me as odd. Honestly there have been quite a few things continuity wise that are being missed. I'm just going to wait and see how it plays out in the film first.

22. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah that may be the wisest course of action. We don't even know if that scene makes it to the film. Rogue One trailers had a lot of deleted scenes and many scenes were edited totally differently and many lines were in different context as implied in the tv-spots. Solo also had re-shoots and stuff... We will see.

I think scenes like that may be improvisation by Joonas who may have not considered continuity, and as an actor it's not his job anyway. In Finnish interview he told that he brought there some ideas for "humorous scenes" that "deepen the character". That may very well be one of them. Sure we don't know how good sight wookiees even have, maybe it is harder for them to tell when someone is hologram, even if they have seen them before. I know I'm thinking this far too much....:p

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin and wobbits like this.
  23. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    That is a good point though- about Joonas and his being unaware of the issue it creates in continuity. I honestly don't think he would have done it purposefully. He seems to really love being Chewie.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  25. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    And he is good at it- Chewie in Solo clips seems very good overall. Keeping continuity is not actor's job anyway, but mistakes happen to everyone and it is easy to forget details of that Chewie-cameo in ROTS. Sure Joonas wants to be a good Chewie, not complaining about his performance and deepening the character is always welcome.