main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Apr 11, 2016.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Great to see Chewie actually get to kick ass and headplant someone. If the movie was made by JJ, Han would have headplanted someone for him. If it was made by RJ, Chewie would hardly be in it.

This is a pet argument of mine, one I've made before, but I kinda feel like literally everyone misunderstood the line about Wookiees and arms. The line is "pull people's arms out of their socket". Pull. Socket. That's describing dislocation, not dismemberment. They dislocate your shoulder, they don't literally rip your arm off your body. If Han meant they rip your arms off, he would have said rip. I mean, think about it. Wookiees are known to, like...flip out and murder people when they get upset? They just murder people when they lose a game? Because I'm pretty sure ripping arms off would result in a fair number of deaths. Not every time, but some times. Wookiees are as immoral and savage as that? It's crazy. Dislocating someone's shoulder is still assault, but it's a comparably minor injury, and I think can be forgiven, especially if the person had freakish strength and didn't really mean it. They grabbed your arm, and your arm popped, just like that. But, uh, I don't think ripping someone's arm off because they beat you in a game is forgivable. It's completely insane. It...would actually give prejudice against Wookiees a pretty fair basis. They wouldn't last very long in galactic society.

I'm also reminded of apes like orangutans and chimps. I've seen old wildlife experts tell people to never shake an orangutan's hand. You might think it's cute, but they're freakishly strong and they don't know their own strength, and are known to pop people's arms out of their sockets while shaking hands.

No big deal, though. Chewie ripping arms off still provided a good bit of awkward humor, and it still works as maybe partially a myth (something Han says to intimidate people, even if just for a laugh), and as wild space opera fantasy.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  2. jfet

jfet Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2019
    Maybe, but maybe not : what we can see in the mud pit is a broken droid, not a dead human !
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I always figured Han was joking about that anyway. He was just trying to scare Threepio. We see Chewie lose to Beckett in Solo and he doesn't attack him. He gets upset but never violently so.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I love when Chewie tries to wipe the holographic figures off the board. [face_laugh]

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "No you can't wipe them off. They're holograms." [face_rofl]

Yeah, I love that scene!

Bor Mullet, Pro Scoundrel and EHT like this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He shouldn't have made that move.

EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He made that move.

8. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    The Force Awakens is Chewbacca's best movie.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I really loved seeing Han slap an armbar on Chewie, simply because I've theorized for a long time that an armbar might be a good defense against a Wookiee, even if just in terms of visual appeal. A heavier, stronger opponent, like a Trandoshan, might have the heft and strength to actually break a long Wookiee arm. Han doesn't have the weight or the strength, so Chewie just lifts him and slams him around.

Reminds me of this: an armbar turned into a powerbomb KO in a legit MMA fight.
    [​IMG]

Here's 6'8" Tim Sylvia trying the same thing, but his arm breaking before he could rise up.

[​IMG]

Just something I've wanted to see tried on Wookiee long before Solo came out.