main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Paul Bettany (Dryden Vos) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Feb 7, 2018.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  2. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I wonder if the name Vos is common, and if he's related to Quinlan.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That was my first thought when I saw the name. I told you, great minds and all that. :)

4. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Really hoping that is Vos. I have been reading the Dark Horse comics recently, and aside from how great he was in TCW and DD, I am loving him more and more in these comics. I hope this guy helps us learn more about Vos.

Come to think of it, I remember a story where Han was doing something and saved by a guy who some thought to be a Jedi, even Quinlan Vos. If this is a reference to that even, it would be pretty cool.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I can't imagine he's related to Vos. The character was originally a motion capture alien before the reshoots.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Great actor. Superb choice.

Only question i have is how was he not known to be in the film before now? Disney tightened up even more?

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    We've known ever since he was cast.

8. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Sources told Deadline that Bettany is playing a completely different character from the alien character Michael K Williams was going to play.
    http://deadline.com/2017/09/star-wa...l-bettany-joins-ron-howard-tweets-1202159877/

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, Michael K Williams wasn't available for reshoots, and they were on a time crunch, so they changed the character to human. Ron Howard had worked with Bettany before, and was able to get him in a pinch.

10. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Dryden seems to occupy the Jabba role, or a position within the underworld comparable to Jabba. Though he's glitzy and sophisticated, where Jabba is vile and loathsome. I'd guess that the club-type set is his base of operations.

The article hints heavily at an appearance by Boba, so perhaps he's working for Dryden?

"Here’s the successful crime boss. The Godfather. The debonair and sophisticated hoodlum.

We’ve seen the sleazy take on a gangland chief with Jabba the Hutt, but Vos will give us the handsome version of a figure who has found great success by breaking the rules — but isn’t the kind to get his hands dirty.

“It’s a sort of combination of class and swagger and real danger which I think is a fun thing, and he absolutely inhabits it,” says Jon Kasdan. “He’s way deeper in the crime world than anyone else that we meet in the movie.”

While Tobias Beckett is immersed in the underworld, too, “they’re just in slightly different places,” Jon says. “Much like a movie like Layer Cake where you see a Albert Finney type of character who’s a little more advanced.”

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If they say he's "...deeper in the crime world than anyone else that we meet in the movie," then sadly that says (at least to me) that we will not see Jabba in this one. Unless he appears just as like a brief cameo at the end or something. Maybe some people are happy we likely won't see Jabba, but personally I was hoping he'd at least appear...

12. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, I agree. I don't think we'll be seeing Jabba.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wonder if the original Alien crime boss was a more Jabba-esque villain, Vos like Jabba seems to get his minions to do his dirty work, it makes me wonder if the original concept was to have Jabba or a Hutt as the king pin?

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Are we talking related to Quinlan so possibly force sensitive or more like the leader of Black Sun from Shadow of the Empire?

15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    No relation.

16. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I doubt there is a relation, but Quinlan was the first thing I thought of when I heard the name. Could be an homage of sorts I suppose.

17. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Its also a subtle way of suggesting Luke and Obi Wan's cover is more legit. Here is a Vos not related to that Vos. Not all Kenobis are Obi Wan, Not all Skywalkers are Luke

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't know about this villain... I will obviously wait and see how he is played but his look is as bland a villain as I have seen in SW yet [face_dunno]Nothing interesting about him what so ever... Let's see! :cool: I am curious how the original character looked before the change

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Siphonophore and Krueger like this.
  19. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Well, maybe LFL consoled Michael K. Williams by telling him he could perhaps be in a future film (possible Solo sequel?) if there's a place for the character, or variation of the character.

Avnar likes this.
  20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Looking at that pic that R.H. posted of them together a few peeps have speculated that it's Boba in the background top left. Seeing as Vos seems to be a collector of rare and valuable artifacts I would hazard a guess that it's actually a suit of old Mandalorian armour. It appears to be flanked by (unpowered) hand weapons which, I presume, would be ancient Mandalorian as well.

Siphonophore likes this.
  21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Maybe Boba helps Han so he can reclaim some Mandalorian booty?

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It would be funny if this guy ends up being Snoke... (They dress similar) Han runs off with his daughter, Qi,ra so Snoke takes Han and Leias son away! :D

Now...how does he get those injuries?? [face_thinking]

23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That would be a classic Boba Fett move, standing around not doing anything.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    At least it's 100% more original the Snoke is Plageuis.:p

Avnar likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although original doesn't ALWAYS = good.

Just 'devil's advocate...'