main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Phoebe Waller-Bridge (L3-37) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Feb 8, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    To be frank, I think the idea of droid rights and equality with man is a bad idea in Star Wars. It’s a good concept in the Star Trek, Bladerunner, BSG, etc settings, but it doesn’t translate that well into Star Wars world building. Their is already the issue of real people not treated with dignity, from Dictatorships to slavery in Star Wars. It complicates the films when droid owners become another stand in for real world slavery, where droid rights strives to make parallels to our Abolition movement. Where the message we get is that destroying a droid is just as bad as killing a man.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that it suits to Star Wars as well as any other moral issues- this was not the main message of this film and L3 was more a comic relief really. This issue has been handled in KOTOR and SWTOR as well so I think it suits to Star Wars just fine, I don't think "killing a droid is as bad as killing a man" was the message in any of those stories- but that killing droid may not be without any moral issues at all- even if it is not as bad as killing a sentient biological. I think complicating films is a good thing- we are surrounded by complicated moral issues in real life and good movies comment on them. Issue of droid rights makes sense in Star Wars universe, it is more obviously controversial as racism/speciesism that also seems to be an issue, but most viewers see it as obviously wrong. Droid rights however seem to divide people with good reasons.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Droid rights (eh, there's gotta be a better term) -- actually it's odd that it hasn't been hit harder before in SW, because it's all over the first act of ANH. Not just the rather overt slavery and bigotry that's displayed, but the fact that for like the first 20 minutes, droids are our audience identification characters.

Admittedly from there on out it's treated VERY inconsistently -- sometimes the droids are played for human-level pathos and sometimes they're dismembered or memory-wiped just for yuks, and full on protagonists say fairly "bigoted" things. Nonetheless I'd say it's always been there to be explored, but there are almost always bigger things going on in the narrative so it never get foregrounded (in canon).

This is as good a place as any to start, on a low key level. SW would handle it differently from a "hard SF" property and that's one of the reasons I'd like to see it.

AV-6R7 and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    What's interesting is that "droid rights" is treated as a joke by Lando .. he rolls his eyes up. We do get to see
    the great droid uprising of Kessel
    however.

I found Phoebe's voice to be distractingly similar to Phasma's - modulated Brit RP, I suppose. Someone else pointed out
    that LR's integration into the nav systems of the Falcon makes Threepio's line about the Falcon speaking a "very peculiar dialect" relevant

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    One of the best droids in the entire saga. Right up there with K-2SO, BB-8 and R2-D2.

I loved her sassy and human-like attitude. Amazing character.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I thought the L3 and Lando relationship was rather sweet.

But the movie suffers from the Star Wars curse of someone deeply cared about dies, and 5 minutes later everyone is over it. I think L3, and Val for that matter, deserved more.

And absolutely Lando should not have bet away the Falcon, and so given her up.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    L3

=

[​IMG]

cronus33, DARTHSHAME, Blue 5 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    She was great. No complaints.

9. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I laughed my ass off when she got shot.

I laughed my ass off even harder when she died in agony while Lando held her.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  10. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    She was very irritating and sounded just like Phasma.

cronus33 likes this.
  11. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    So did one guy at the theater I went to.

It was a packed theater, and he was the only one to laugh. Everyone else was silent. Pretty awkward.

Bor Mullet and lavjoricso like this.
  12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Loved L3. And was sad to see her go so soon after her revolt. But knowing she lives on in the falcon was a very nice touch given the falcon's unique personality.

Can't wait to get the action figure of her

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Even though I’m a left of center dude socially I wasn’t so sure of how this concept of droid rights would play out and I’ll be perfectly honest by stating that I didn’t warm to her immediately. She won me over and her personality wore me down as the film went on though. Starting with her comment about “You’re all looking at me, aren’t you” when cutting into the ship yard. However, the big turning point for me was her talk with Qui’ra. Something about it made me appreciate her character quirks more and from there I was more on her side and found the droid uprising hilarious and her death surprinsingly sad. I loved how she’s a part of the Falcon now though and the little touches like how she gave her head a hit to get ready and how Han hits the Falcon later in the OT to get working along with C3PO’s lines about the unusual dialect of the ship.

As for the concept of droid rights... I think a lot of people mistake ideas being floated by characters in films as some huge focus of the creators when in fact they can just as easily be characteristics of characters to better differentiate them. Some characters say “Don’t join.” Some day “Do join.” Some say “Choose the Dark Side. Others the opposite.” Some say “Run and hide until they pass.” Others say, “Let’s stay and fight.” Some say “Your droids aren’t welcome here.” Others say, “Droid rights.” Some people want relationships. Others don’t. Different people are attracted to different qualities in people, aliens, etc.

It’s a huge galaxy and there’s many different voices in it with different views and priorities.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  14. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I'm going to level with you guys. L3 made me care about the Falcon on the same level as any other major character.

15. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I'm with you there. I'm not going to be able to watch Kylo scream "blow that piece of junk out of the sky" without thinking -- hey -- that ship has a soul! That's not okay, sir! I think that's the real gift these anthology films can give. We can see things in the episodic films with new understandings and emotions. They keep the old films fresh as we think back to them, re-evaluating our first impressions, zeroing in on details we skipped over -- like the dialect of the Falcon or Han's seemingly erroneous boast about parsecs -- because no one had yet chosen to tell their stories.

anakinfansince1983 and AV-6R7 like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Make sure to send me your schedule of public appearances so I can avoid them.

17. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Don't worry, there's no one else in the theater to bother.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  18. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Is that true though? Its a fast paced heist movie. Speed was specifically the plan. When they go to Dryden Vos Val was mentioned. But Beckett doesn't have the time to sit and cry and he's not the type to do that. L3's death was a big character moment for Lando. It leads to her integration into the Falcon. As for betting her away, he wasn't in his mind, he was cheating Han. He got caught out. Hubris more than anything.

L3 reminded me of a Tumblr-ina. It was amusing. Good heart, good principles, trying to make everything about the cause even where its not relevant.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  19. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I had to google tumblrina and disagree. And now I don't like that word.

20. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I found her irritating. K2, BB8, C3PO, R2 - great! L3 - nah. I'd heard great things about the character, but didn't work for me. It was a sense of relief when she bought it.

DARTHSHAME and B99 like this.
  21. books

books Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2017
    I thought L-3 was great.

SW is all about the effort to overcome things like hierarchy, domination, violence, hatred, exploitation-- and about the moral inferiority of the choice to stay out of stuff and simply focus on one's own or one's family's comfort.

L3 was an excellent example of a good person who cares about justice more than about her wellbeing, and who goes out into the world and acts on these values. (Just like Chewie, and Han, and Luke and Leia, and all SW heroes...) I think a lot of the DJs of the world dislike her because of the way SW is thereby highlighting their own bad choices, and judging them for the crappy behavior that ensues. Same with Luke back in the day, and Rey these days.

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I almost applauded!

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    She was meant to be kind of annoying, but also kind of sweet in her naive desire to see her fellow droids be free. That was the humor in it. Not quite sure how anyone could hate that, but to each their own.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  24. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    L3 was annoying and I thought "good riddance" when she was destroyed. Nearly as bad as Jar Jar for me.

cronus33 and Blue 5 like this.
  25. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    L3 was a disgraceful character. I and lots of others in my theater cheered/clapped when it died.

Theo333 likes this.