main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Phoebe Waller-Bridge (L3-37) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Have to admit, going into the movie I didn't think L3 would die in Solo.

I thought maybe they'd keep her alive and we'd even see L3 and Lando cameo in Episode 9.

2. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    L3 is hilarious, a really nice balance between humor and massage. I like that they managed use her to comment on sex-robots in a very intelligent way.

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Clearly copied from this character:

I didn't mind her, though. At least she was not a reference to the OT, for once.

4. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Even though they're now telling us she's IN the OT, as part of the MF...

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Oh... you're right, I forgot. I'll give it a pass, as a reference it was less annoying than many others.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I still get the feeling L3 could either be in the MF by the time of the OT or maybe get uploaded into Lobot. However, as shown in the Lando mini, Lobot had a personality until he had to turn on his robo-switch which made him kind of a robo-drone so I don't think that he would be as stone-faced if he had L3 swimming around there.

9. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    How about a Lando and L3 animated series or movie? That’s be fun. And more L3 is a good thing. I’d love to see more of their dynamic.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about an L3 Muppet show?

11. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    L3 is the standout character among a whole bunch of new faces, of whom I'm fond pretty much across the board.

It's good that she still exists, because it would've been pretty sad for her to die with finality in Solo.

12. Rebel Rouser

Rebel Rouser Jedi Padawan

May 17, 2018
    I liked L3 more than I thought I would. She kind of mocks social activists. I like how she was intergrated into the Falcon's navigational computer, that's what makes the Falcon exceptional over any other ship.

13. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    L3, possibly worse than Jar Jar...

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Yeah. Sure. OK.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I don't really think that she mocks social activists, although I suppose that it can be read either way. For me it plays like good natured ribbing that has kind of a sincere payoff with the little Kessel rebellion.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think her droid activism is a jokey quirk that ultimately gets her killed and enslaved, it's more ironic than anything. She has a quirky personality which sees herself and other droids as sentient individuals, Lando keeps it because he likes her and he doesn't want to wipe her to lose her star charts, her droid activism gets her killed and she's used for her star charts. (and the droid's she's obsessed with "freeing" seem about as grateful and/or dumb as a box of rocks, or Gonks) She's a comedic supporting character that you feel sad when she dies. Or she lives on forever in the Falcon. Depending on your point of view.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  17. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The pertinent L3 beats are:
    1) L3 frequently points up structural inequality between droids and humans, as a hobby or past time that is not serious because she does not feel it is a fruitful endeavor, but could one day by accident, or with serendipity, result in some movement of the dial.
    2) L3 has to get that little droid out of the way so she can get to that terminal. She removes his restraining bolt and tells him to go free his peers "or something". She continues to dismiss that activism is of any real use, for, structural inequality is pervasive and there are multiple safeguards in place to maintain it.
    3) Unbeknownst to her, unintended by her, not consciously designed as a next move by her, that little droid becomes a butterfly wing in Indonesia and goes about acting upon tensions of structural inequality without instruction.
    4) When someone asks what's happening in the control room, L3 cannot quite perfectly believe that her small act, which was not committed with intentional design, has resulted in an outcome at one with her persistent purpose. She is in a form of pleased denial, and she says, as if to convince herself of her own agency as well as her listeners, "I created a distraction!" Yes, she did, technically, but it was not by design, it was by accidental cool. But she owns it.
    5) As she absorbs the reality of what her small act chain reacted inside an environment of structural inequality, she becomes gleeful and says "I'm so glad we took this job" (whereas she had not wanted to go to Kessel to being with).
    6) As she exits the control room, she says, "Follow me compatriots!" She fully owns the new, bifurcated, secondary timeline of intention that her random small act has brought into being.
    7) Outside the gates to the surface, she is saying something I forget. But the major point is that she has largely forgotten that she is integral to human plans to move coaxium around. She is in her own element and in her own struggle that she defines for herself. She exits stage left fighting for what she believes.
    8) As she's dying, she has statements "System restart failure. Restart failure." Droid deaths are usually played for laughs like was seen with "you must follow the proper... protocol". This is dialed to a more existential dread. Her last statements in Lando's arms are "What's happening to me?" That's new territory for Star Wars. Like someone else has pointed out, another small detail of new territory is where an Imperial soldier is screaming 'my leg!', and we know what that means.

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I realllly didn't like L3. Certainly not because I disagree with the message of droids being treated nicely. They're not all smart but the way they get treated in SW kinda sucks. I didn't like L3 because she presents these serious issues whilst being kind of a joke. Ben Kenobi never rolled his eyes when Luke said he hated the Empire. Im all good with presenting morals in SW but you need to handle it with more grace.

Master of None likes this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    L3 was probably my second favourite character of the movie, Lando being first.

lmao, no.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not even close.

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I think so!

ezekiel22x and Master of None like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You're wrong.

23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I still don't get all the anger toward this character by the right wing.
    She's the parody of an activist. If there really had to be someone complaining about her, shouldn't it be a Jill Stein supporter, or something similar?

24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't like her because she seems like a right winger's idea of an activist.

But the fact that people are debating this shows that, whatever the intent was, the idea wasn't well communicated.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    C’mon. She’s not exactly espousing radical ideas. She’s anti-slavery. If that triggers the manbabies among the alt-right, does that mean they are...pro-slavery?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018