main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Another great moment is how emotionally raw Cassian is when Jyn confronts him about being ordered to kill her father. I agree that it's probably the most emotionally charged of all Star Wars films.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Saw, if you're watching this, then perhaps there is a chance to save the Alliance. Perhaps there's a chance to explain myself and, though I don't dare hope for too much, a chance for Jyn, if she's alive, if you can possibly find her to let her know that my love for her has never faded and how desperately I've missed her.
    Jyn, my Stardust, I can't imagine what you think of me. When I was taken, I faced some bitter truths. I was told that soon enough, Krennic would have you as well. As time went by, I knew that you were either dead or so well hidden that he would never find you. I knew if I refused to work, if I took my own life, it would only be a matter of time before Krennic realized he no longer needed me to complete the project. So I did the one thing that nobody expected: I lied. I learned to lie. I played the part of a beaten man resigned to the sanctuary of his work. I made myself indispensable, and all the while I laid the groundwork of my revenge.
    We call it the Death Star. There is no better name, and the day is coming soon when it will be unleashed. I've placed a weakness deep within the system. A flaw so small and powerful, they will never find it. But Jyn, Jyn, if you're listening...My beloved, so much of my life has been wasted. I try to think of you only in the moments when I'm strong, because the pain of not having you with me. Your mother. Our family. The pain of that loss is so overwhelming I risk failing even now. It's just so hard not to think of you. Think of where you are. My Stardust.
    Saw, the reactor module, that's the key. That's the place I've laid my trap. It's well hidden and unstable, one blast to any part of it will destroy the entire station. You'll need the plans, the structural plans for the Death Star to find the reactor. I know there's a complete engineering archive in the data vault at the Citadel Tower on Scarif. Any pressurized explosion to the reactor module will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the entire station..."

Wow. =((

avcpl, rodneyfaile, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    And Felicity Jones's acting throughout that whole speech is just fantastic. How her hard exterior that she's put on throughout the beginning of the film slowly gives way and she bursts into tears. She's so good.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Speaking of emotion, I'm rather fond of the emotion of pure joy I feel every time I watch this movie.

5. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Absolutely I agree with you about the end result. I just assumed the criticism was directed at Edwards, who in all honesty probably has his main (extraordinary) talent in action-packed scenes, and that the examples posted came from the re-shoots mainly. Obviously Gilroy seemed to have some certain set scenes that he was hired to work on.

Edit: And even though Rogue One turned out very well, all types of movies do not need this whole big deal about the characters, the main point mostly being that you feel yourself invested in the story.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    EHT likes this.
  6. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    Perhaps that comment was directed at Edwards, poster didn't clarify. The way that comment was phrased made it seemed like it was aimed at the movie as a final product. And the final product was filled with human emotions. Because that's all it should matter now honestly.

EHT likes this.
  7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I feel this film gets alot of negativity and i ain't totally sure why that is? it seems to be an automatic one where even if someone hasn't seen it they are still talking about it like its crap.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I barely see any negativity about Rogue One. Depends on where you hang out, I suppose.

Darkslayer and MaciekRS like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In my opinion, R1 needs to be seen more than once to appreciate all that's in there. The first time I saw it, not much of it really grabbed me until the big battle. It was later viewings that I started noticing all the subtle character development and relationship building that makes it more than just an FX action fest. So I suspect a lot of viewers never got past the first impression and never gave it a second chance to see all it has to offer, and that may be why some people are negative about it.

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I’m pretty sure every scene you just posted was directed by Tony Gilroy. Could be wrong, though.

11. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016
    @Serpico Jones Also see my previous message in this thread.

Alright. Again, we don't know how many were Gilroy's and how many were Edwards' scenes. But should it matter at this point honestly? Most of us here are discussing the final movie, the one we all actually saw.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agree. I loved it the first time I saw it, but it is so much richer on re-watches.
    Remembering things from the first viewing. Getting a better idea of the characters.
    Loved K2 the first time, then Chirrut and Baze during the rewatches.
    Knowing more of the music.
    It is a movie that you have to watch again and again.

Avnar, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There’s a lot of uncertainty out there about this. But what we do know is that Gilroy never filmed in Iceland. So the exterior scenes of the prologue are all Edwards. And IMO some of the best in the film.

In any event, it doesn’t really matter. Edwards agreed to collaborate with Gilroy to improve his cut of the film, and the end result was one of the best films in the genre.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Avnar, Darkslayer, AndyLGR and 4 others like this.
  14. mirrorbright

Oct 14, 2016
    I couldn't have said it better @Bor Mullet. I also agree about the prologue. The entire Lah'mu sequence is one of my favorite parts of the movie.

avcpl, TCF-1138 , jajje and 2 others like this.
  15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed... the prologue is just excellent.

16. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Well, I'd say that because the end result was one of the best films in the genre it is of great interest to those invested in SW and/or aspiring story-tellers and/or film students to understand the dynamics of collaboration and how the process develops over time.

I think the lesson is that you don't have to instinctively be protective of your work, cause you might actually get some help to improve it.

And the only way to know what room was left for improvement is to find out which parts were added... :)

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Which was 100% a classy move for him, and a decision completely devoid of ego and focused entirely on making the best film possible. Even though I like Solo more than Rogue One, I almost wish Lord/Miller would have been a bit more willing to do that. I think getting Howard's journeyman steadiness mixed in a bit more evenly with their distinctive voice instead of mostly overriding it would have led to a more unique film overall, but c'est la vie.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    One thing I've come to appreciate even more now that I'm reading Catalyst is the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin. Of course you can sense the hostility between the two during the movie; but the novel brings it back to where it all began towards the end of the Clone Wars.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ben Mendhelson stole the show in that.

Well actually, he pretty much stole every scene he was in lol

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    He stole the scenes, while Rogue One stole the plans. :p

21. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Speaking of Catalyst, I think Luceno said in an interview that he did not know which actor was playing who when he started writing the novel. Apparently he thought Mads Mikkelsen would play Krennic or something.

I think it’s impressive that, just from reading the scripts or the drafts, Luceno was able to bring these characters alive in a way that felt so true to the movie’s redemption and also in a way where you can hear the actors’ voices in the dialogue.

Bor Mullet and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Tony Gilroy: "[What went wrong with Rogue One that prompted my hiring to rewrite and reshoot that movie]...[I hesitate to answer to avoid getting into trouble with the producers of the movie, but let's just say it was a matter of 'purity' when telling the story.] When things pass through many hands and there's a great deal of confusion ... and there's all kinds of accessories and jewelries and bootstraps and zippers, and all the rest of the stuff. The purity for the characters, if it's not there to begin with, it just deteriorates and just turns into an absolute mush." (October 18, 2018)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    However troubled it was, Gilroy worked with Edwards to turn it into the best Star Wars film I have ever seen. And ultimately, the final product is all that really matters.

PCCViking and Darth Smurf like this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Indeed... some of the best movies (A New Hope, Jaws, etc.) have had pretty troubled productions.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yep, they done did good.