main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Clearly not removed from the board, as we’re getting a whole TV show involving some of the characters...

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Not even sure what this means. Most war films don't have every character die. In fact, I can't even think of a good one that does. Just because it's a "war" movie doesn't mean everyone needed to die.

As far as "they can show up in prequels" I'll just go ahead and say I don't think any of those characters pasts are interesting enough to me. The Cassian show isn't something I'm looking forward to. I've had about enough of the "struggling rebellion" storylines from Star Wars. You can only mine the exact same period with similar types of stories for so long before I just get bored and want to move on. I have far more interest in the new republic post RotJ, which is where I'd have preferred to see Jyn and any other potential survivors.

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The narrative of essentially a suicide mission sacrifice, conducted with just the barest chance of success, puts this film over the top though. The fact that all die, but fulfill their mission, makes this an incredibly unique movie (nevermind Star Wars movie), and head and shoulders above most genre blockbusters. That was worth it, even though it means the main characters won’t show up in future timelines. Though we still have Mothma...

This era can be mined in a million different unique ways. And a “spy thriller” has never been done in Star Wars, so it’ll be unique enough not to bore you.

I’m about 95% sure that when this show comes out, you’ll be skeptical at first, and then totally won over after the first episode.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    You don’t know what it means? That’s on you, not me.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What’s also odd is the criticism of it not following the formula of most war films by having all main characters die. Isn’t originality a plus? Especially in this case, where it powerfully reinforces theme, narrative and character?

“Most movies don’t do this” is not a valid critique.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    themoth likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That's ironic, I'm sure Brie Larson cared quite a bit about what 40 year old white dudes thought about her then. Maybe that's what made her so averse to them not too long after that.

8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Probably posted before but I love these Full Metal Jacket-inspired fan posters for Rogue One. They were made before the films release but I think they capture the feeling that the film will be primarily about boots on the ground Rebel soldiers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That’s actually from an unused shot that appeared in one of the trailers.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Here's a little interview bit that went with it.
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...chaotic-reshoots-experience-a182180#gs.s0siv3

In a recent interview on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Galen Erso actor Mads Mikkelsen shared his take on those reshoots.

"Some of it was a little chaotic," he admitted. "There was no secret that there was some rewriting in the script while we were doing it. And when you do that...it is obviously very tricky for the actors to know 'What am I carrying into this room now? I opened the door. I'm not back to what happened before.' So there was some of that."

"Having said that, it always felt like a solid story," Mikkelsen continued. "A young girl lost, [who] doesn't know where she belongs in the world. Then an Oppenheimer story unfolds. She's always heard he [Galen] was this, and then she realizes he was that. And it was quite beautifully written. At the end of the day, the changes that were in the film were not as dramatic as people talk about. It was tweaks, but obviously if you do it while you're working it can be confusing."

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm telling you guys, a 10th Anniversary release of RO will probably be when the original footage sees the light of day. It's only 5 years from now. And think about what a treat that would be with the Disney+ Expanded Universe having been built up by then.

Darkslayer, Sarge, EHT and 2 others like this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't necessarily think you're right... but I sure hope that you are!

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Re-releases are built on hope.

Darkslayer, Riv_Shiel, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Boo!
    But also, yes! :p

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I love how passionate you are about this film. [face_coffee]

Bor Mullet and PymParticles like this.
  18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    What are you talking about I hate this movie.

For being so good.

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Hey man it made my all-time favorite movies list so I’m with ya. I don’t know how, every time I learn more about how post production went I’m always baffled it wasn’t terrible.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Clearly the smoothness of a film’s production is not correlated with a film’s quality. In this case, I think the marriage of Edwards (super fan), Gilroy (not a fan), and Fraser (one of the best DPs in the business) was a magic, accidental formula that helped create the wonderfully odd yet nearly perfect Star Wars beast that is Rogue One.

21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think having someone who is not a fan there (Gilroy) really helped the quality. He was able to look at it from an objective viewpoint.

22. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I realize I'm late to the party, but...

There was something poignant about none of them even knowing whether they succeeded or not.

A criticism I heard in my circle of friends was that Cassian wasn't likeable. I was like, can you explain why that's a bad thing. Especially in a movie with an ensemble cast as opposed to having one clear protagonist.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I also don’t think Cassian was that unlikable.

Sarge and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Cassian was my favorite character in the film from the moment he shot his informant in the back. He straddles the line between likable revolutionary and detestable insurgent, which I found refreshingly appealing in a series that's usually pretty morally black and white.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I did not like that Cassian shot his contact. I did like that he looked like he hated that he had to. And I liked that later, he chose not to shoot Galen. To me, it showed a clear character arc, someone who had been slipping into darkness recognizing where he was headed and resolving to go back to the light.