main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Feige's #1 Fan and Ryan Church Aficionado star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    Clearly not removed from the board, as we’re getting a whole TV show involving some of the characters...

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Not even sure what this means. Most war films don't have every character die. In fact, I can't even think of a good one that does. Just because it's a "war" movie doesn't mean everyone needed to die.

As far as "they can show up in prequels" I'll just go ahead and say I don't think any of those characters pasts are interesting enough to me. The Cassian show isn't something I'm looking forward to. I've had about enough of the "struggling rebellion" storylines from Star Wars. You can only mine the exact same period with similar types of stories for so long before I just get bored and want to move on. I have far more interest in the new republic post RotJ, which is where I'd have preferred to see Jyn and any other potential survivors.

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The narrative of essentially a suicide mission sacrifice, conducted with just the barest chance of success, puts this film over the top though. The fact that all die, but fulfill their mission, makes this an incredibly unique movie (nevermind Star Wars movie), and head and shoulders above most genre blockbusters. That was worth it, even though it means the main characters won’t show up in future timelines. Though we still have Mothma...

This era can be mined in a million different unique ways. And a “spy thriller” has never been done in Star Wars, so it’ll be unique enough not to bore you.

I’m about 95% sure that when this show comes out, you’ll be skeptical at first, and then totally won over after the first episode.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. themoth

themoth Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    You don’t know what it means? That’s on you, not me.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What’s also odd is the criticism of it not following the formula of most war films by having all main characters die. Isn’t originality a plus? Especially in this case, where it powerfully reinforces theme, narrative and character?

“Most movies don’t do this” is not a valid critique.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    themoth likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 15, 2018

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That's ironic, I'm sure Brie Larson cared quite a bit about what 40 year old white dudes thought about her then. Maybe that's what made her so averse to them not too long after that.

8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Probably posted before but I love these Full Metal Jacket-inspired fan posters for Rogue One. They were made before the films release but I think they capture the feeling that the film will be primarily about boots on the ground Rebel soldiers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Avnar, PCCViking, EHT and 3 others like this.