main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The films of RH I've seen have just not impressed me. From the cinematography to the lack of tension to the pacing. Everything just seems to be...there. It's hard to describe, but I've just never been a fan. Power to you guys who enjoy his work, I've just never been one of them. :-\ Who knows. Maybe he'll surprise me and turn a movie I'm not looking forward to in the Han Solo Anthology in to an entertaining film.

I'm not really here to poop on everyone's parade. :)

Nibelung and Gigoran Monk like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I despise Ron Howard's films. Even the Oscar winner.

And so I hope all he is going to do is add a little, trim a little, and generally nudge the film into the tone Kasdan wants. Keep Ron Howard out of it, Ron Howard.

3. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Good choice. Old hand, will bring it in workmanlike to Kasdan and Kennedy vision.

4. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    If anyone can, it's Ron.

SunnyNelson likes this.
  5. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    That will not ever happen so nobody should expect it to happen.

Xinau and SunnyNelson like this.
  6. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    Honestly, I'm looking a lot more forward to this movie now. I have always enjoyed Han's humor, but was fearing we'd see too much of a comedy in a Star Wars setting instead of a Star Wars movie with funny moments. Obviously, we'll have to see the finished product to judge,but I was a little worried before.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well all I can say is that Inferno worked quite well on the tension and pacing levels. Not anything senses shattering but it worked quite well. I haven't see the other Da Vinci movies or other recent movies of his so that's as far as I can go.

8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Krueger, TX-20 and Master of None like this.
  9. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    True. The issue is really in my head, being a huge Han Solo fan since I was 12 in 1977.

Master of None likes this.
  10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    For me, this validates my lack of panic over the firing of Lord and Miller.

yodarulzall and SunnyNelson like this.
  11. Master of None

Jun 14, 2016
    I liked them very much. Especially Angels and Demons with Ewan...I love a good twist at the end of a movie

12. Master of None

Jun 14, 2016
    They worked together with GL on American Grafftti...Han couldn't be in better hands

Forgive my DP, I'm so damn excited over this news

SunnyNelson likes this.
  13. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    I was just reminded that Ron Howard briefly hung around the Phantom Menace set. Apparently, Lucas asked Howard and Spielberg to help him out in editing the pod race and the finale.

14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    "At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie."

Reading the press release it almost sounds like they're going to redo a whole lot here. This doesn't seem like - we're bringing in an A-level director just to finish up 3 weeks of filming and handle reshoots. This to me reads as, he's stepping in to direct this baby, and make it good. I'm sure they'll use something that was shot over the last few months, but that's it.

TX-20 and Xinau like this.
  15. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Good time as any to revisit this oldie:

[​IMG]

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    His style is more "traditional." And what some people complained about with TFA, is kind of how I feel about this pic.

Also it seems like some people here are inclined to side with LF on every dispute, whereas I am not.

Nibelung likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Howard also turned down GL's offer to direct TPM: http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-1-ron-howard

Guess he's now come full circle. Perhaps he was as impressed by the Han Solo script as so many others apparently are.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It is always a good time to revisit Willow!

19. Master of None

Jun 14, 2016
    It makes me much more hopeful that he could also direct an Obi-Wan movie....part of the package?
    Stopping to think about all the connections Ron has to the Star Wars peeps

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Here's a few million dollars. Go make a Star War.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Honestly I'm not thrilled with this choice but we'll see what happens. Hoping Howard knocks it out of the park.

22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Glad your eyes aren't bleeding.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Howard's done some good work in the past, but there's no pretending that he'll put a personal stamp on the film. It's a fixer job.

Nibelung likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm sure Ronnie took a peek at the script before saying yes.

I saw Eight Days a Week and even though it was a documentary there is still a story to be told there, which was well executed. RH did a wonderful job retelling a story that had been told innumerable times before and yet he was able to focus it in a way that made it seem fresh, exciting and new. I'm a huge Beatles fan and I get tired of the same old stories, but EDAW brought new insight and perspectives few considered important before that were finally brought to the light of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Downunder likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, I've calmed down a little. But there are a few red spots in my contact lenses...

Next up: My debilitating fear that this will lead to Ron Howard also directing the next Anthology film. Howard as a fixer I can handle. Howard actually directing a full film I simply can't. I'd have to go into exile for the duration of that process lest I drive everyone here crazy.