main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Oh I'm well aware of that, but like I said in my previous post, I don't recall there being a big official announcement from Lucasfilm themselves about Gilroy helming all of that. In contrast, they've made a huge public statement on Howard being the film's new director. Makes me think they're aiming to give Howard the full director credit when the film comes out, which would mean a lot of reshoots would be required for him to get that credit iirc.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Opie Cunnigham to the rescue! :D

[​IMG]

Chained Prometheus

That is because Lucasfilm wanted it hush hush that they didn't like Edwards ending (they all die on the beach and it just ends) along with some other stuff since obviously Gaerth was still attach to the project. This is much different as essentially it's a PR war of Lucasfilm trying to get people's attention of what went wrong with The Lego Guys (who I think are fabulous btw) and go "Look look look over here...we got Ron Howard to direct this now!".

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yep, this is an unprecedented kind of development. It's also a way of reassuring stakeholders who may be jittery about such an unprecedented situation, with valuable legacy characters on the line. At this point I think the announcement is intended to have a calming affect. Gilroy is known for doctoring, Howard not so much as far as I know, so it seems to me LFL is aiming at full directorial credit for Ronnie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oooh, I love word searches! :)

5. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    It's Genius!!

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This is a big statement of intent from them imo, Howard is a big name. I wouldn't mind seeing him direct a full SW movie if I'm being honest. All this was probably sorted before we heard about it from the announcements.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't see any need to experiment with classic characters. SW can be more risk taking when they move to a radically new era.

Xinau and Darth Calvin like this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ron Howard also has a history with LFL, so this is keeping it in the family.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Immortiss

In the end, it's about the reassuring shareholders and turning the attention of fans to the positives rather then the negatives swirling around Lucasfilm. Let's be blunt. While the products so far have been solid, the process has been mucky:

TFA: Took forever to get off the ground especially after the great schism between George and Lucasfilm, Arndt gets fired, Harrison Ford breaks his foot and the project is thrown into chaos and wounds up coming out 6 months late (which I will always argue was a blessing in disguise).
    R1: Edwards loses the final cut as Gilroy is brought in to do reshoots and change the ending.
    TLJ: *Knocks On Wood* Seems like everything is going swimmingly.
    Han Solo: No explaination needed.
    Episode IX: The horse is not even at the gate in terms of production and we already have Colingate.

So far the movies have worked but if you are executive/shareholder at Disney and you are seeing this, you are hoping this is the last of the off the screen drama. Yes all studios go through this but Lucasfilm seems to be going through a lot more then usual. You play with fire long enough you will get burned, at least I am sure that is what they are thinking at the Disney board which is why I am 100000000% certain now Kathleen Kennedy will stick with tried and true directors from now on. Miller and Lord will be the only outside choices we see for a long time.

Pro Scoundrel

People forget he was offered the director's chair for Episode I but respectfully decline since he was on a roll and had a bunch of other pet projects he rather do. But that was twenty years ago almost and since 2010 these are the major full length features he has directed:

- The Dilemma
    - Rush
    - In the Heart of Sea
    - Inferno

As desperate as Lucasfilm was to get him, Ron was perhaps more desperate for them at this point. He needs a hit in the worst way possible!

10. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I would have preferred Joe Johnston, but for what (presumably) is a fixer job you could do a lot worse than Ron Howard.

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I think it's great. I've always wanted to see him direct another Lucasfilm movie. Glad they picked this one.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Eh.
    Okay.
    It will be a solid movie, I'm sure.

13. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I wasn't excited about the concept when it was formally announced. I was behind it when Lord and Miller were attached. I'm still behind it but now more curious - I love Ron Howard's work (I'm not a car guy but Rush is brilliant, Apollo 13 got me interested in Real Space etc) and the idea of a Lucasfilm alum directing is excellent. I also agree with everyone who's said they'd like to see a fully Ron Howard SW film. I wonder if they'll let people direct more than one?
    I was behind Joe or Larry too, but this is still cool. Go Ron!

14. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I really loved Rush (though it helped that I am a F1 fan).

This move was decided weeks ago - I wonder if they would have been so quick to fire Cris and Phil had someone of Howard's calibre been unavailable.

Anyway - let's hope that at the very least, if the bad acting rumours are true, he can salvage decent performances out of the cast and make an entertaining (bit to me - utterly unnecessary) film out of this mess.

15. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Luke02 I usually don't disagree with you but this time I feel I must...I can't see Ron Howard desperate. Let's say it's mutually beneficial.

:)

16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I'm on board with this. There aren't many movies other than Star Wars that I've watched multiple times, but quite a few of them have been directed by Ron Howard. Apollo 13 is an exceptional film.

ZY-Fighter and Dra--- like this.
  17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I probably would have been more excited about a Ron Howard directed Star Wars film scored by Hans Zimmer if it was from the outset and not a salvage operation. But he'll do.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

While I agree with you, these big studios typically look at new everything as too much of a risk. New characters and new eras is too risky to them. Too much to lose. Better to split the difference: new era with established characters or new characters in established era.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a completely new and original Star Wars spinoff.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Oh I do agree it's a win-win for both parties but let's be honest. This is not Ron Howard circa 1997 when he was offered the directors chair for Episode I coming off Apollo 13 and Ransom (underrated movie btw, darn does that gave nightmares to any parent). This is Ron Howard circa 2017 who last two movies were In the Heart of the Sea and Inferno. And if were go back further, Ron's last true hit The Da Vinci Code which came out in 2006 though Angels and Demons did okay. He is kinda damaged goods at this point. As desperate as Lucasfilm was for him, he in many ways needed them more. Ron might be a great hitter but right now he is in a true drought and perhaps a layup like this is what he needs to going again.

Nibelung likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    3.5 weeks left of Principal photography starting July 10, then 5 more weeks of pre-planned reshoots later in the summer.

Howard will be helming 8.5 weeks of shooting for this movie and overseeing all 9 months of post-production.

The finished product will probably be half-Howard directed and half-L&M directed. For the L&M footage, Howard will help make the Kennedy/Kasdan choices in the editing room that stick closer to the script and a lot of the improv will be left on the cutting room floor, though some choice improv moments I'm sure will stay.

Howard will get the director credit for HAN SOLO, and L&M will be lucky to get a special thanks in the credits.

That's business. L&M should not have rattled their sabers at Kennedy and Kasdan.

22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    That was fast....

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm with Kathleen Kennedy on this one.

[​IMG]

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    B99

They been talking to Howard awhile on this. It didn't come together overnight.

Rodie

To them their creative freedom on future projects was more important then bending to the will of a studio. I got the sense they were never really gung-ho about the project and did it more out of being fans then being excited for the project itself. Like I said before, they have several projects already slated and could add on more including MIB 23 since it still isn't off the ground yet. They will be just fine.

B99 likes this.
  25. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Kasdan and Ron Howard -- I actually feel better now. I never really trusted Lord and Miller with Star Wars.

And I loved Willow, despite the criticism. RH isn't a hot commodity at the moment, but it looks like he was chosen to be a trusted and steady hand.

It's a hot mess right now, but if we get the best film possible then it's worth it. Even if it has to be pushed back. Han Solo is too big to mess up.

Padme501st likes this.