main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Here's what Matt Martin says:

So I think the pre ANH Lando parts in Last Shot will have to be moved to about 10-11 years BBY, and the pre ANH Han parts to about 7-9 years BBY if Han is in his "early 20s" to fit within the timeline.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, the movie ends 10 years before ANH.

I think the line about Chewie's age was probably intentionally slipped in to provide a concrete placement in the timeline. Chewie is 200 years old in ANH.

whostheBossk and Darth Downunder like this.
  3. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Saw it for the third time yesterday.

themoth likes this.
  4. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Well I really enjoyed it. Patchy plot, but very fun at the same time.

jajje likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Any fellow Godfather fans find something familiar about the way Han gets his last name?

EHT, Twain and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Was Solo the first time we've actually seen a female Imperial officer in the movies? I know there's Captain Phasma and a couple of First Order female personnel, but we've only actually seen male Imperial officers in the movies prior to this one.

Yes, I know there's Rae Sloane, but she never actually appeared in Rebels or a movie, and that she has only been in comics and a couple of novels.

7. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Now that you say it! Clever!!

Darth Downunder likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Sure, but it doesn't just resonate as a Godfather reference. It resonates as a common experience for immigrants and orphans throughout history. Many who have no such experience are annoyed about it. But I can tell you, as someone who has family that were refugees (and were given surnames by immigration officials) it's quite an emotional moment.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  10. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Love those videos, the Super Star Wars trilogy on the snes was a big part of my childhood. I wish I could play that!

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    MISSON FAILED
    ...GAME OVER...
    ..........TRY AGAIN?..........
    ...........YES....NO..............

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    So this is news to me, but it looks like Solo is getting its own "Making Of" book coming next spring, written by Visual Effects Supervisor Rob Bredow.

https://www.abramsbooks.com/product...-making-solo-a-star-wars-story_9781419737534/

It's kind of amazing that of all the new films released by Lucasfilm, this is the first to get a proper "Making Of" release, especially given all of the production difficulties it endured.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Lulu Mars, wobbits and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Job Kasdan has some really interesting notes on the movie. These go on for a few tweets in a thread. Check ‘em out.

15. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Lots of great tidbits in there, including possible confirmation that the Han and Chewie encounter on Mimban is one of the few Lord and Miller scenes that was kept in the cut as is. Kasdan calls is "pure C&P (Chris and Phil)"

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I really hope, someway, somehow, they’re able to find a way to conclude the Han/Qi’ra story and address Maul’ status as the head of Crimson Dawn. Really though, I just want more of Alden and Donald as Han and Lando.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Very cool stuff! Thanks for posting!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I assume Maul has a fall from grace at some point, because he doesn't seem as influential by the time of Rebels. Maybe Qi'ra has something to do with it, and if there is a Boba Fett movie, maybe it involves the Hutts hiring Fett to take down Crimson Dawn.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Boba Fett vs Darth Maul... hmmm...

I'd bet on Darth Maul in a straight-up head-to-head fight. But I doubt Fett would be that foolish; he'd find some way to tip the odds in his favor. Maybe use an EMP grenade to lock up Maul's legs. If the writers use their imaginations, they could make it an interesting contest.

20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Valid criticism about this list:

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the essential problem is having "anger" about the moment.
    It doesnt quite work, it needed more explanation, okay. Movies can have creaky bits.

But "anger"?
    Get over yourself.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    That was very satisfying. These actors could live on for some years until Disney finds the right moment, and it will not alter in-universe continuity.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Being valid or not is just a matter of opinion, and that’s all they are, other people’s opinions. You can’t please everyobe. I enjoyed the film but I’d pick out different things as issues for me.

I could pick out hundreds of tweets to that list which were positive and I could also pick out selected ones that can be made to suit any narrative I wanted.

Great to see a writer publish such an exhaustive list like this on a film they’d worked on. Refreshing and honest in places.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    If Jango could give Obi-Wan fits, then I'm sure Boba can have something up his sleeve to deal with Maul. Now, keep in mind, not to kill Maul since we know the former Sith's ultimate fate...

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t know that it’s fair to criticize Jon Kasdan (yet) for this as he was just the writer, and didn’t cast Thandie in the role. If he wrote her as a black woman in the script, and fridged her early on anyway, I do think that would be tone deaf. But we don’t know that, do we?

Also, this film was about Han Solo. And you can’t change the fact that he’s a white male. So inevitably, things will happen to supporting characters as a means of propelling Han’s story. And if that’s the case, do directors have to choose to not cast people of color in small roles, or in roles where they die early, etc? I don’t think that would be fair. But what they can do, of course, as Rogue One and the ST has, is cast more people of color in lead roles. And definitely more women of color, as we saw in TLJ and Solo, but in more prominent roles.

If I had made this movie? I would have had Thandie be Q’ira, and Val be another actress.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018