main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really didn't care for the Maul twist at all. It felt like bad fan fiction. Yes, I know it's canon because of Rebels, but he should've stayed dead.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I didn't just pick out tweets from random people, they frequently talk about representativity in SW for years. Mostly of them are part of #SWRepMatters

Even Star Wars writers are commenting about that

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    unicorn likes this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I agree with you, I wish it wasn’t there and the film feels less self-contained because of it. But it’s there, it’s a dangling thread, and I want it tied within the live-action canon.

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I read that list yesterday. Very cool! But I do admit to doing a double-take on #17. That was... poorly phrased, if anything, and I can see why some people would get a bit offended at that.

Anyway, did you guys see Phil Szostac posting the design for the Kessel minebeast that Kasdan mentions? Pretty cool:
    [/QUOTE]

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I took number 17 to mean that's maybe with Thandies performance being that good and interesting that it elevated the character above being someone sacrificial purely for the story and a plot device.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Thanks for joining the conversation. Very insightful.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It seems to me that Jon Kasdan was essentially apologizing for the Val death. Saying that Thandie was too good to die early, but that the script was unfortunately the script. I don’t believe he intended to offend. Quite the opposite, actually. He’s saying “we may have made a mistake there.” And instead of at least appreciating the apology, we’re jumping on him again. It’s the kind of scenario that reinforces the unfortunate social media ethic of “never apologize, never back down.” For when you do, people twist the knife. Perhaps it was inartfully phrased, but I appreciate Jon recognizing a flaw and admitting that publicly. Yes, they shouldn’t have fridges the first black female major character after 20 minutes of screentime. I think he gets that.

9. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Interesting to note that Kathleen Kennedy is almost completely missing from the Solo special features.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just watched them, and she shows up in three or four interviews. Which is not significantly different, proportionally, than her screentime in the special features of the other films. The extras are pretty sparse all around this time. Nothing particularly interesting about Kathleen’s small part in them, in that context.

11. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    After watching Solo again, it just confirms to me that my favourite Star Wars character is Chewie. I think Joonas Suotomo is superb and whilst he doesn’t have Mayhew’s recognisable gait, brings his own take on the character.

He’s almost like a sad character that you want to love and feel sorry for, but at the same time strong and heroic. He’s epic. Just epic.

12. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    This now reminds me of how Chewy has a more pronounced degree of self-direction in this film. Not man and dog. I also now see a resonance between ROTJ "It's going to be rough, pal. I didn't want to speak for you", and Becket warning Han and then Chewy saying 'let's run', and then agreeing to see it through / go meet Dryden with that well-timed and punctuating step forward. Chewy could have gone his own way. (I frankly do not want to hear about life debt, if that's an actual thing with Han and Chewy.)

kalzeth likes this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree about Chewie.

Just want to add how severely underrated Solo is, too. Liked it then and only love it more now.

14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I believe it is underrated and I am equally satisfied that it was not overrated.

themoth likes this.
  15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There's also a scene straight from 3:10 to Yuma where Han casually steals a coat and hat at the spaceport.

17. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Oh boy did this disappoint me. I was devastated when Val died, and I cant believe that after she had so little screen time. Thandie Newton is one of my favorite actresses and she absolutely nailed Val, she literally lit up the screen for me. When I first saw Solo, by the time we got to the conveyex scene I was amazed at how much I was enjoying the movie, Elden's great performance (from an impossible situation of following Ford), and ALL the new characters that were introduced. I said to my friend sitting next to me " yikes mate, this Val character is fantastic, she will become a favorite of mine for sure". Then she died. Ugh. Still a favorite character - speaks volumes really.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2019-grammy-awards-complete-nominations-list#21

62. Best Instrumental Composition
    A Composer's Award for an original composition (not an adaptation) first released during the Eligibility Year. Singles or Tracks only.

• BLUT UND BODEN (BLOOD AND SOIL)
      Terence Blanchard, composer (Terence Blanchard)
    • CHRYSALIS
      Jeremy Kittel, composer (Kittel & Co.)
    • INFINITY WAR
      Alan Silverstri, composer (Alan Silvestri)
    • MINE MISSION
      John Powell & John Williams, composers (John Powell & John Williams)
    • THE SHAPE OF WATER
      Alexandre Desplat, composer (Alexandre Desplat)

Congratulations John Powell & John Williams!

wobbits likes this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Yes! =D= That is one of my favorite pieces on the soundtrack.

20. IlhamKamaruddin

Nov 29, 2017

I love the Visual Effects of the Kessel Run.

whostheBossk, spicer and wobbits like this.
  21. IlhamKamaruddin

Nov 29, 2017
    Congratulations Rob Bredow, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy for their Best Visual Effects Oscar Nomination in their team's work for 'SOLO: A Star Wars Story'.

[​IMG]Oscars 2019 Best Visual Effects by shafiilham123, on Flickr

whostheBossk, EHT, BigAl6ft6 and 5 others like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Best VFX sometimes thematically transmorphs into Best VFX Performance (see Andy Serkis as Gollum) so that may be for Josh Brolin as Thanos in Infinity War. (great performance, great performance capture). Still awesome to see Solo score at least one nomination, the Disney era Academy Award nomination streak continues!

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  23. IlhamKamaruddin

Nov 29, 2017
    How many nominations will Episode IX get? What if it pulls a Return of the King move? Or at least half of that?

I'll throw this out here for now but if it's groundbreaking filmmaking, amazing acting, story, etc and ties the whole saga together really well, it's going to get a Best Picture nomination. 1977 and 2019 Star Wars films to get a nod for it. I am hoping for wins in Best VFX, Sound Editing & Mixing, and Original Score for Episode IX.

And like you said, Avengers Infinity War might get it!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth Smurf like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [/QUOTE]

Szostac is actually wrong. A Wapota with a drill attached to its head can actually be seen in the movie when the Falcon is landing on Kessel. But it’s in the extreme foreground, so all you see is some hair and the drill. But it’s definitely there.

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    The nominee is more then deserved, best visual effects of the year .