main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I still can't believe the movie explained how Han got the name Solo. [face_laugh]

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "We should reveal his name being assigned like in The Godfather, but in a much stupider way."

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, it ruined my headcanon that Han was a shredder guitarist in his youth.

solo2.jpg

Lulu Mars and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love that moment. Was it needed an explanation and it had to be a thing? Probably not, but it works from a character perspective and especially where Han is at that moment, no people, very alone. Imp was being a flippant jerk, as they are wont to do.

(It does get a bit confusing later on when Han specifically mentions his parents though, but the question the Imp said was "Who are your people?" which Han answered honestly, considering how his scrumrat people just tried to blast him to pieces)

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I was just kidding above. I have no problem with that moment, and I love Han's street rat backstory. I have very few issues with this movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really want to know what happened to Han’s parents. He has at least one good memory of his father (his father showing him the YT-1300’s) so what happened that would make him basically disown his family.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I assumed that they died. He didn't disown them, he just doesn't mention them because it's a painful memory. That was my impression.

Bor Mullet, EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    His dad was still alive it, sounded like, he got laid of and took Han to see the new ships as young boy. Han says he dosent speak anymore more to him.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My opinion has softened on it over time, but I still maintain that the lighting was really really bad.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That’s not what he says.

Anyway, my impression was that he didn’t have a happy childhood and that memory was one of his only good memories of his father. Which in turn is why the Falcon ended up meaning so much to him.

wobbits likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Maybe i get the movie and novel mixed up,:p

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, it was set in the "Dark Times".

Bor Mullet and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The movie was so dark, everyone in the theater was lost for days. We had to be rescued a few weeks later. But not me. I'm still in that theater, looking for an exit.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the whole movie was filmed on location in the Maw Nebulae.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It wasn't too dark. It was just ugly. You can make a "naturalistically" (I hate that word, and the entire concept behind it) lit film beautiful, but they didn't. It was just terribly shot.
    I like the film, but the cinematography is awful. Just awful.
    I've heard that the cinematographer has done good work, and maybe he has, but Solo tells me he's a hack.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  16. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    In the new comic Han Solo & Chewbacca, that has just released his second issue, it shows that
    Han father is still alive and well, at least he says that it's his father. Han is very suspicious of that too. I think it is, and they show a beautiful moment of Han as a kid. As much as I like the movie, I kinda wish they made it more about that and not a collection of his greatest hits

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Out of curiosity, what’s a better adjective to use than “naturally-lit” when describing cinematography that is overwhelmingly lit from light-sources that can be explained from within the scene (lamps, sun, moon, street lights, etc)?

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd say natural or practical lighting (natural if using the sun, practical if using actual in-frame lights, like lamps, neon signs, etc.). If you're not actually using the onscreen lamps as light sources, but lighting as if they are the sources, it'd be motivated lighting.

My problem with naturalistic lighting (as opposed to natural lighting) is that it's an attempt to capture a look of "reality", but film isn't reality. Cameras don't operate like our eyes do, so such attempts often end up looking like, well, like Solo. Muddled, dark and unappealing.
    Then add a modern teal-and-orange color grade to it and it just gets confused. Did you want it naturalistic or cinematic?

Now, that isn't to say that there aren't some really nice shots in Solo, but it's easily the least visually interesting SW movie IMO.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lulu Mars and Watcherwithin like this.
  20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It’s my favorite of the Disney era so far. I know I’m in the minority on that one.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    More like the Muddy Times.
    How would you describe Greig Fraser’s approach in RO? Because to me it reads very naturalistic - as in, the end product feels very real. Unlike Solo’s DP, it seems he favors naturalistic lighting without confusing the situation with artificial filters that muddy the picture.

Also, understanding that film is not reality, I think there’s great merit to making it feel as close to reality as possible if that helps audiences suspend disbelief. For me that’s especially important with fantasy and sci-fi stories. The more realistic the world looks (and that doesn’t mean dull - it can be insane and wacky, but still look tangible and naturally lit), the easier it is to accept the story. But that’s me, and that’s the approach some filmmakers (and genre writers) favor. It’s by no means objectively superior.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes it is and I'm tired of pretending that it isn't.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

6 years anniversery of the first non Saga movie. Rogue One. Love this movie. Its between this and The Last Jedi for my favorites.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This would have made even more sense in a Rogue One thread. :p Either way, though, RO is simply one of the best SW movies. I still remember seeing it in the theater with my son on release day.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Wrong thread, well i might post something of Solo in Rouge One Thread next time, lol.

TCF-1138 likes this.