main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Leias_Left_Bun and sterling3763 like this.
  2. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    http://www.starwars.com/news/christ...-helm-han-solo-anthology-film?linkId=15374280

The next adventure in the Anthology series of Star Wars films will be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, whose credits include the critically acclaimedThe LEGO Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, as well as 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street. Among the most sought-after filmmakers working today, the two have proven a formidable duo on the multiple films they’ve collaborated on and are looking forward to applying their unique creative chemistry to the Star Wars universe.

“This is the first film we’ve worked on that seems like a good idea to begin with. We promise to take risks, to give the audience a fresh experience, and we pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us. This is a dream come true for us. And not the kind of dream where you’re late for work and all your clothes are made of pudding, but the kind of dream where you get to make a film with some of the greatest characters ever, in a film franchise you’ve loved since before you can remember having dreams at all.”
    The screenplay is written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan. The story focuses on how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley.
    Lawrence Kasdan, the writer and director known for Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Big Chill, and Grand Canyon, is familiar to Star Wars fans for having co-written the screenplays for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens. His son Jon Kasdan wrote and directed The First Time, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and In the Land of Women, as well as writing for the television series Freaks and Geeks and Dawson’s Creek.

“We’re so excited to be working with Chris and Phil, who will bring a fresh new dimension to the Star Wars universe,” said the Kasdans. “They’re two of the smartest, funniest and most original filmmakers around, and the ideal choice to tell the story of Han Solo, one of the coolest characters in the galaxy.”
    Kathleen Kennedy, who will be producing, says she can’t wait to discover what’s in store from these two extraordinary teams of directors and writers.
    “It’s not just any filmmaker who can tell the story of such a beloved icon like Han Solo, and I’m excited to say we’ve found the perfect team to handle the task. Larry and Jon know all there is to know about the character, and Chris and Phil will bring their wit, style, energy and heart to tell Han’s story.”

Slated for a May 25, 2018 release, the film will be executive produced by Lawrence Kasdan and Jason McGatlin and co-produced by Will Allegra.

3. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Someone slap me silly! I'm so stoked.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I literally just made a comment that a young Han Solo film wasn't a good idea two days ago. I now rescind that comment in full after seeing Miller & Lord will direct with Kasdan writing. Holy cow, that's actually really exciting.

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Young Han Solo Chronicles. Star Wars is officially dead. Flushed so far down the toilet with so many nasty toxins it can never be recycled back into something potable.

DarthBane93 and DarthBreezy like this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    kinda weird 3 years after Han in VII we get young Han....

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  7. LuvLeia

LuvLeia Jedi Padawan star 1

May 16, 2015
    Prisic Duskleap and DarthRosie like this.
  8. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Yikes.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
  10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I like Lord and Miller. I don't want (another) young Han Solo film.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  11. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    This screams "cash-in" big time, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Chris Miller and Phil Lord nailed The LEGO Movie, after all.

12. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Real curious how they're gonna do this. We've seen "young Han Solo" and he looks like Harrison Ford in 1977. It's gonna be pretty hard to get over that cognitive dissonance unless you do the character around age 15 or so. There's not much room to maneuver around that.

Plus, Lord & Miller, much as I love the hell out of 'em, can't do EVERYTHING in Hollywood. I mean, they're getting help from BOTH Kasdans on this, so that's cool, but I'm afraid they're gonna burn themselves out. They've got Lego Movie stuff, they've got Spidey stuff, they've got 23 Jump Street (which is probably gonna be a Men in Black crossover) and they've got this. That's.. a LOT.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's a new era of Star Wars fandom when you say to yourself "At least it's not the Adventures of Young Jar Jar Binks."

14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Am I the only glad they are making this???
    where others see milking/cash grab, I see opportunity.[face_devil]

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    And that's exactly my issue with this.

I know it's odd for me not to be excited for something centered around Han, but it is what it is, I guess.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    it's an opportunity to take the legacy of the OT and pickle it in a jar of raw sewage.

At least it's not a surprise. It's been on my list of "worst case scenarios for the Disney/Star Wars relationship" for more than a year.

DarthBane93 and DarthBreezy like this.
  17. Captain Phasma

Captain Phasma Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2015
    Lord and Miller directing with Kasdan writing it? Day one.

JBFett007 and PymParticles like this.
  18. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    2017: the first case of a person overdosing on Star Wars.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  19. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014

Wasn't Harrison Ford older than Oscar Isaac is now? Plenty of room for a young Han Solo. Anyway im stoked for this!

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Wonder if they'll consider doing this in the style of Beowolf so they can still have Ford?

Han Solo without Harrison Ford :_|

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    okaaaay, let's not exaggerate this is pre IV Han, how would it ruin the OT???

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Nope. I'm really excited by this! I think it has a lot of potential to be one helluva fun adventure!

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I really do not envy the actor they cast to play the role. He has huge, huge shoes to fill, and I hope whoever he is knocks it out of the park, because he'll be under a lot of scrutiny. I'm guessing they're going young, probably early 20s, to contrast the Han we see in Star Wars, who's probably in his early-mid 30s.

starocean90 likes this.
  24. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So who's your dream casting for young Han Solo?

25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    it's interesting that Kasdan and son are writing this, makes me wonder if that has something to do with the movie, father-son relationship??

nightangel likes this.